Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have good solutions for soft top rear and side window storage when you are out and on the go? Usually can't commit to leaving them at home, but also worried if I leave them in the trunk either they will get stolen or blown out on the highway.

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
I have stacked them in the cargo area with a thin fleece blanket between them then put the black factory cargo mat on top. It completely covered the windows with my 2014, not sure what it'll be like with my 2015 with the sub hole in it...

·
Registered
465 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
I bought that black bag on your link and it works great. It came with clips sewed on. The only thing I worry about is someone ripping off the bag when the windows are rolled in it. I'm sure they are not cheap to replace

·
Registered
278 Posts
I was also thinking about making my own using microfiber sheets and sew one end with three layers that I could roll the windows up in. Then with Velcro straps lash it to the soft top or back of the rear seats...

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I'm lazy and just lay my side windows stacked on top of each other in the rear cargo area, then the rear window on top of those. I drive ~60 freeway miles daily for work and they've never blown out or even seem to have moved.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I came up with what is the perfect solution for me. I keep all three windows seperated by felt and then roll up them up with a piece of 3" Schedule 30 (thin wall) PVC pipe. Then use velcro straps to secure it to the soft top when it's in the down position.

I went to a fabric store (JoAnns Fabrics) and purchased some bulk felt. To help with theft deterent, I chose the color black so it is more difficult to see when rolled up. You only need 2 long pieces for all three windows (I can get you the measurements if you would like, but it's something like 30" x 100" x2 pieces). I use the back of my JKU to roll everything up. First, I place one piece of felt down. I then put the rear window on top of that. Fold the felt over it. Place a side window on top. Place a piece of felt on top of it. Place the second side window on top. Fold the felt over it. Now, I put my piece of 3" sch 30 pvc at the end and roll it all up. I also have PVC end caps so I can hide/store things inside if needed. I have some velcro straps that I use to attached it to the soft top when it is in the down position. This serves two purposes. 1. It keeps it tidy and keeps it from blowing away. 2. Since it's all black it blends into the black soft top. It just looks like part of the soft top. You can't tell there is a PVC pipe that might have some valuables inside it. I don't think anyone would consider stealing it unless they were trying to steal my soft top.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you know someone with sewing skills you can make something up yourself. Here is the one I came up with from stuff I got from Walmart. And yes, it will tuck under the rear seat in a JKU so it is out of sight. I just wouldn't advise laying the seats down while it is under there.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Just roll it up and use Velcro straps to keep it that way. No need to sew anything.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I bought the Mopar soft top boot and it came with two bags. One for the rear window and one for the side windows. I roll them in towels and slide them in.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I use a beach towel, lay it flat and put the rear window on it and stack the other two on top being careful that no zippers, etc are on the vinyl. Then roll it up and wrap two Velcro straps (I like elastic best) around it and throw them in the back. Always worked great.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Hey so I've had my jeep for a little under a year, 2002 TJ. The previous owner had a hard top and a soft top. The hard top had only been taken off once and the soft top has never been installed. I took the top off quite a bit last summer but got tired of putting the hard top back on. So I decided to try and put the soft top on last fall. No success. Over the winter the previous owner came across the door surrounds, so I just got those on. Last fall I had mounted the soft top to the pivot brackets using whatever screws from the hardware store as I wasn't given any. I think I used m-5s or something. They didn't want to go in since the threads are free spinning to allow pivoting. Anyways I finally got them in but they came out a week later. Are the screws that im supposed to use anything special? Like do they have a certain tip? What thread size are they? Do you know where I can buy them if they are anything special? I already have the pivot brackets. I just need the screws that mount the soft top bars to the roll bars. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I had seen some small throws at Walmart before, for about $3 each, so I went and lucked up and found solid black ones there, to match my Jeep. I bought 4 of them to lay the windows down and put 1 throw between each window, then I roll them up and tie it off with paracord. They are great. They are made of fleece and very soft and dont scratch the windows at all. So essentially, I spent $12 plus tax for my soft top window carrier.... I bought every solid black throw they had, which was about 10 and I use 4 of them for the windows and used 1 to line the back floor board with, to keep from getting the carpet dirty, and I have several extras, when the need arises.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I use the Bestop Window roll.
Me too. I roll my windows up in it and put it in the trunk. It is not visible with the top down because they are covered up by the top. When I have the top up and windows out, I still leave the windows in the trunk. They have never blown out, and nobody has stolen them. I guess it is possible that they could be stolen, and I probably just jinxed myself...

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Putting a piece of pipe insulation or a pool noodle helps make sure the windows don't get smooshed and get big creases in them. I don't think it would stop them completely, but it will help! That's how I roll mine in the setup I made. :)

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I need to work on this. Where I live I have to have the windows with me because it rains all the time. I like the pvc idea or just rolling them up and Velcro with the noodle.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
PVC sounds like a cool idea, but I'd be too chicken to actually store anything inside it. I get nervous just leaving the windows in, in the bag. And my bag attaches to my ACE cargo rack, so I don't worry about them blowing away, so no need for the extra weight.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts