Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Try as I might to prevent it, the rear clear window on my 2014 JKU is already scuffed and scratched in several places. So I thought maybe order a set of oem tinted soft windows with the thought that being so dark it might not show the scrapes and scratches as much. Thoughts?

·
Registered
468 Posts
I ordered a set of tinted windows from Bestop and they match the stock soft top perfectly. The tint does help hide the scuffs and scratches a bit, but it still shows.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have the oem tinted windows - came with the pkg I bought with my sport. Agree with mjpjr45 - scratches still show, but not as bad I think. Despite the scratches, I like the extra privacy and the little bit of security they provide by being darkened versus clear.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I like the looks of the tinted windows on my JKU, over the clear ones I had on my JK. I cant say one shows scratches any less than the other. The only complaint I would voice is the tinted ones dim other drivers lights enough that the fancy auto-dimming mirrow in my JKU has NEVER tripped.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
I think Lusus Naturae knows the name of a kit that you can use to help remove scratches. He said it removed light ones and lessens deeper ones....

And now I can't think of the name of the kit to save my life! :banghead:

Hopefully he will stop by and give you the name. The next time I see it, I need to bookmark it ...just in case.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I bought an '88 YJ in 2000. Then I bought a brand new OEM soft top with tinted windows. Scratched/scuffed really easily.

Got a 2007 Sahara JKU in 2011. Tinted soft top windows. Same deal, scuffed scratched easily.

Picked up a 2013 JKU Rubicon in June. OEM tinted windows were scratched up within a week, but by then I learned not to sweat the small stuff. They are plastic and I take it offroad. I'll take the scratches over not getting off the pavement.

YMMV. ;)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Star -

I think the scratch remover that you are thinking of is Novus. It's a 3 stage remover that works quite well. I have used it before and was pleased with the results.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Star -

I think the scratch remover that you are thinking of is Novus. It's a 3 stage remover that works quite well. I have used it before and was pleased with the results.
That's it! I knew it ended with US, but plexus was stuck in my head. LOL

Thanks!

·
Registered
85 Posts
i tinted my factory tinted softop windows (they are completely black now). Not very commonly done, but it works. I used a non adhesive, cling tint from the local auto place. Used a soapy solution and a squeegee wrapped in a microfiber to stick them to the soft window & carefully trimmed them with a sharp xacto knife. My cuts weren't 100% perfect but it looks perfect from the outside. Cant see in @ all.

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
Why are you getting scuffs and scratches?

·
Registered
69 Posts
i tinted my factory tinted softop windows (they are completely black now). Not very commonly done, but it works. I used a non adhesive, cling tint from the local auto place. Used a soapy solution and a squeegee wrapped in a microfiber to stick them to the soft window & carefully trimmed them with a sharp xacto knife. My cuts weren't 100% perfect but it looks perfect from the outside. Cant see in @ all.
damn i thought of doing that too but i had already thrown away the leftover roll i had from a previous project lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Star -

This is good to hear. Did you apply by hand or with buffer? You didn't happen to take a before and after pic?

·
Registered
333 Posts
I got bestops tinted windows from my 2012 2 door for sale. $200 shipped in the continental US. these are the same as the oem tinted ones. No scratches and only used for about six months. Traded in my 2dr for a 4dr

1 - 18 of 18 Posts