Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Can't find anything specific on this, but:

I have the freedom top option on my Sahara Unlimited. For summertime, if I wanted to install a soft top, or a cargo net, will it fit on a sahara if the freedom tops and back hard top are off? Or, is it just the hard top and freedom panels that work with it? Any info would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
The freedom top is a part of the hard top. A soft top would require the hard top's complete removal. A cargo net can be had that would work elements of the hard top, front or back. Or they can be found as a separate top as well.

Bob K.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right...I was thinking of totally removing the hardtop to put a soft top for summer. Just didn't know if it was set up to install a soft top when it was removed.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
No. You will need door surrounds, the bolts to attach them. The brackets to attach the soft top frame to the sport bar, the screws for those. The rear window bar and the brackets for those.

if you look at the sport bar at the very back side, perpendicular to the tub, you will see a flap on the cover. Open it, you will see the holes for the soft top bracket screws.

Bob K.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome ! Thanks Bob!

·
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
6,005 Posts
Right...I was thinking of totally removing the hardtop to put a soft top for summer. Just didn't know if it was set up to install a soft top when it was removed.
If you don't have the dual option from the factory (which it sounds like you don't) you would have to get a full soft top including the frame. Something like the Bestop Supertop would work because it comes with all the hardware you need. You would be able to bolt that frame up and use the soft top in the summer, and take the soft top off and put the hard top back on in the winter. Let me know if you have other questions!

-Ryan

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for this thread, I've been searching for a while now for the simple answer about softtops, and this just about does it.

It seems like the aftermarket softtops are less expensive than the factory (I was quoted $1500), are the aftermarket softops preferred amongst experienced jeep owners such as yourselves?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
From what I've read, the Supertop NX from Bestop is the best you can get for a "factory style" top, and it's about half the price of a factory top. It includes everything you'll need including hardware, door surrounds, etc. If I'm not mistaken, it IS a factory top with some improvements. Bestop manufactures the factory tops for Chrysler.

·
Registered
973 Posts
From what I've read, the Supertop NX from Bestop is the best you can get for a "factory style" top, and it's about half the price of a factory top. It includes everything you'll need including hardware, door surrounds, etc. If I'm not mistaken, it IS a factory top with some improvements. Bestop manufactures the factory tops for Chrysler.
Just make sure you understand the difference between their NX and their Supertop (or the OEM). The NX is frameless. It has the fastback appearance. You cannot fold the top completely down like you can the OEM top. It has the sunrider option, but it leaves the rear seats covered (in the 4 door version). Also, when removing the rear windows, there is a plastic "frame" that is integral to the side windows, this makes it difficult to roll them up and take with you (should you need to put your top up quickly).

The NX is a great top, just educate yourself so that you know exactly what you're getting between on or another before you spend the $.

Also, searching craigslist is a great way to buy OEM tops from owners who got the dual top option and don't want the soft top. Easy to find them new for well under $1,000.

**EDIT** - Sorry, I see you were referring to the Supertop NX. I mistakenly thought you were referring to the TREKTOP NX. My comments above are regarding the Trektop NX.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Just make sure you understand the difference between their NX and their Supertop (or the OEM). The NX is frameless. It has the fastback appearance. You cannot fold the top completely down like you can the OEM top. It has the sunrider option, but it leaves the rear seats covered (in the 4 door version). Also, when removing the rear windows, there is a plastic "frame" that is integral to the side windows, this makes it difficult to roll them up and take with you (should you need to put your top up quickly).

The NX is a great top, just educate yourself so that you know exactly what you're getting between on or another before you spend the $.

Also, searching craigslist is a great way to buy OEM tops from owners who got the dual top option and don't want the soft top. Easy to find them new for well under $1,000.
INCORRECT. Careful there... you're getting your features mixed up. "NX" is the improved version of any of their tops.

The "TREKTOP" and "TREKTOP NX" are frameless, fast-back soft tops. Only the NX has the Sunrider. The regular version can, however, be rolled back.

The "SUPERTOP" and "SUPERTOP NX" are both framed tops. Both have the Sunrider. The NX has factory style hardware and better reviews all around.

The TREKTOP in all its forms does not fold all the way down like a factory top; It's either on, off, or bikini.

Straight to the source, ask the horse:

TREKTOP

TREKTOP NX

SUPERTOP

SUPERTOP NX

·
Registered
973 Posts
INCORRECT. Careful there... you're getting your features mixed up. "NX" is the improved version of any of their tops.

The "TREKTOP" and "TREKTOP NX" are frameless, fast-back soft tops. Only the NX has the Sunrider. The regular version can, however, be rolled back.

The "SUPERTOP" and "SUPERTOP NX" are both framed tops. Both have the Sunrider. The NX has factory style hardware and better reviews all around.

The TREKTOP in all its forms does not fold all the way down like a factory top; It's either on, off, or bikini.

Straight to the source, ask the horse:

TREKTOP

TREKTOP NX

SUPERTOP

SUPERTOP NX
Yep, I know, immediately after posting, I noticed the OP said Supertop and apparently I dyslexia'd trektop in it's place. That's why I added the edit in my previous post.

I actually have a hard top, the Trektop NX and OEM premium top. I've also had the OEM regular soft top.

I just misread it. You're links are dead on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts