Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the Jeep world. My (just got 2 days ago) 06 Wrangler Unlimited Soft Top is in need of some type of lube on the zipper. It's way hard to zip. What is the best thing to lube the zippers?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
This is what's left of a "plumbers candle" that is over a decade old and on it's third convertible. Works like a charm. Just run it along both sides of the zipper a few times every now and then. I keep it in the Jeep now. I bought it at a hardware store for a dollar in the bargain bin. Works great and it's mess free.

Finger Hand Thumb

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Camping stores sell zipper lube for tents and is cheaper than what the dealers sell the Chrysler product for.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Ha, I will look for this! It reminds me of Mr. Zogs sex wax for my old longboards.

This is what's left of a "plumbers candle" that is over a decade old and on it's third convertible. Works like a charm. Just run it along both sides of the zipper a few times every now and then. I keep it in the Jeep now. I bought it at a hardware store for a dollar in the bargain bin. Works great and it's mess free.

View attachment 165995

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm a Scuba diver and just use my dry suit's zipper wax. You can snag it for $5 at any dive shop. Looks like there's lots of options out there!

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
What is a plumbers candle?
Evidentially, it's a big assed candle. lol. All I know is, that is what it was labeled as in the dollar bin when I bought it. I had used candles for stubborn zippers before (tip from my old man), and figured why not. I'd say any candle or wax would work. Unfortunately though, this might be another case where size matters. For convenience, you want a candle big enough that it doesn't break when you run it along the zipper.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Guys. Now I have a couple of options.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Way back when plumbers made what was called wiped lead joints to connect two pipes or a valve, the candle was used to soot up the parts of the pipe just outside the joint area that they didn't want the molten lead to stick to, and supposedly also to wax the wiping thing so it wouldn't stick to that. (Seems to me that would make the wiping device catch fire, but I don't know.) Anyway, the name stuck. Now it's just a big candle hardware stores sell.

I use silicone spray lube from most auto part stores, but it is hard to keep it off the top unless I spray it on a rag and use the rag to wipe the zipper. I'm going to have to try the candle. It works good on wooden drawer slides but I never thought of using it on the zipper. Good to have an emergency candle onboard any vehicle anyway, especially in winter.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Blind Dog said:
Way back when plumbers made what was called wiped lead joints to connect two pipes or a valve, the candle was used to soot up the parts of the pipe just outside the joint area that they didn't want the molten lead to stick to, and also wax the wiping cloth so it wouldn't stick to that. Seems to me that would make the wiping cloth catch fire, but I don't know. Anyway, the name stuck. Now it's just a big candle hardware stores sell.

I uses silicone spray lube from most auto part stores, but it is hard to keep it off the top unless I spray it on a rag and use the rag to wipe the zipper. I'm going to have to try the candle. It works good on wooden drawer slides but I never thought of using it on the zipper. Good to have an emergency candle onboard any vehicle anyway, especially in winter.
I'm glad someone had an explanation, I knew I wasn't crazy... The wax doesn't catch fire when a candle is lit though, so I guess that's why the rag wouldn't. All I can say for certain is, it works great on zippers. Other stuff doesn't fill in the nooks and crannies, gets where you don't want it, makes a mess, doesn't stay long, and I could almost say that by looking at this thing after I run it over a zipper that it cleans it. I couldn't have changed out my rear soft top window without it. I'm sure there are other things out there, but it's what I have always used.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I don't know if they used cloth or leather or something else to wipe the lead with, but yeah, the zipper idea is great!

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,432 Posts
My Dad used cloth back in the day.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Cool old-timey skill!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I might seem different but, I use old piece of bar soap. Rub it up and down the zipper and it works great. Doesn't cost anything because you have some at home. I do it every couple of months. Been doing this for decades.

Plus it smells good :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts