Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking into buying a soft top. I have both the full doors and half doors, is there a soft top that works with both, meaning can I use the full doors with it and half doors with a soft upper with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
A bestop Supertop with Supertop half door uppers will work with full hard doors

·
Super Moderator
10,959 Posts
One suggestion is get a soft top that'll work with the full doors.
Then get soft uppers for the half doors that will work with a hard top. They'll work with the rounded corners of a full door soft top.
Check with Bestop (call their order desk) for availability of the full door soft top and the rounded corner half door uppers. Bestop isn't cheap, but they're not crazy expensive either. Especially in view of the fact that they make quality products.
You'll go nuts trying to find just what you want in a catalog or website. Call Bestop directly and the salesperson should be able to ask what year Jeep you have and help you figure what type of hardware you have. He should be able to advise you what top and what half doors will work for your situation.

For a (somewhat) less expensive alternative for the rounded corner soft uppers for the half doors, if you can find TJ soft uppers they can be modified to fit YJ half doors. It requires cutting, repositioning and welding one of the pegs that hold the soft upper to the half door.
The problem there is matching the fabric of the half door uppers to the soft top.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One suggestion is get a soft top that'll work with the full doors.
Then get soft uppers for the half doors that will work with a hard top. They'll work with the rounded corners of a full door soft top.
Check with Bestop (call their order desk) for availability of the full door soft top and the rounded corner half door uppers. Bestop isn't cheap, but they're not crazy expensive either. Especially in view of the fact that they make quality products.
You'll go nuts trying to find just what you want in a catalog or website. Call Bestop directly and the salesperson should be able to ask what year Jeep you have and help you figure what type of hardware you have. He should be able to advise you what top and what half doors will work for your situation.

For a (somewhat) less expensive alternative for the rounded corner soft uppers for the half doors, if you can find TJ soft uppers they can be modified to fit YJ half doors. It requires cutting, repositioning and welding one of the pegs that hold the soft upper to the half door.
The problem there is matching the fabric of the half door uppers to the soft top.

Good Luck, L.M.

You’re right, right now I have an old set of squared off uppers and was looking for a replacement. I could just go with the rounded corners. Thanks

·
Registered
78 Posts
I’m looking into buying a soft top. I have both the full doors and half doors, is there a soft top that works with both, meaning can I use the full doors with it and half doors with a soft upper with it?

I SUPPOSE IT DEPENDS ON WHICH YEAR AND MODEL YOU HAVE.
We bought a SmittyBuilt soft top for our 2000 TJ Sport...which has full doors..
along with the soft at no extra charge were the windows for half doors.
The price was reasonable and we are happy with the fit.

here is what ours looks like

my first time drivingIMG_5041.jpg

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

View attachment 4176515

‘94 YJ, but do you put the soft uppers too? Send a pic if you have one

·
Registered
4,287 Posts

View attachment 4176515

ALL TJ's could accept hard or soft doors from the factory and the YJ could not (some late 95's had a dual top option but they were rare). If you buy a bestop supertop with the hard half door upper kit it will fit full hard or half hard doors. The factory squared off YJ uppers will not work.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/11009_61X_07_PG.htm

Reactions: Yjalex

·
Registered
9,000 Posts

View attachment 4176515
Kind of you to offer help but your tj experience is not relevant to the op's yj question.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just went through this debacle of trying to find a soft top. As posted above, best bet would be to get a top that accepts rounded uppers as you will be able to utilize your factory hard doors and can find soft uppers from retailers no problem for your half doors.

After learning the hard way, Bestop's Supertop was the solution for me personally.

·
Registered
490 Posts

View attachment 4176515

ALL TJ's could accept hard or soft doors from the factory and the YJ could not (some late 95's had a dual top option but they were rare). If you buy a bestop supertop with the hard half door upper kit it will fit full hard or half hard doors. The factory squared off YJ uppers will not work.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/11009_61X_07_PG.htm
$1200 for a top that's just ridiculous

·
Registered
4,287 Posts

I bought my Bestop Supertop without doors on sale for about $600. You could try to find some used TJ half door upper frames and skins and modify them to work on the YJ half doors to save money, it should work and save hundreds of dollars. Half door frames and skins are not cheap

·
Registered
490 Posts

I bought my Bestop Supertop without doors on sale for about $600. You could try to find some used TJ half door upper frames and skins and modify them to work on the YJ half doors to save money, it should work and save hundreds of dollars. Half door frames and skins are not cheap
I got a smittybilt top tinted windows and upper doors for $205 brand new on Amazon I'm happy so far but it doesn't work with round upper doors

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
I got a smittybilt top tinted windows and upper doors for $205 brand new on Amazon I'm happy so far but it doesn't work with round upper doors

Bestop Supertops come with a new completely different frame than the factory soft top uses thats what jacks the price up. It also requires drilling about 4 extra holes in the tub rails to support the new frame.

Bestop sells a replace a top that fits the factory frame but the factory frame does not work with full hard doors. And if you buy a Supertop and ever need new skins you can buy Supertop skins separately from the Supertop kit that comes with all new frame and rails and hardware.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Kind of you to offer help but your tj experience is not relevant to the op's yj question.
understood..at the time I answered his question he had not stated what model he had !!!!!
.that is why I stated what Jeep we had and that it may not pertain to what he has....with that said...we are STILL HAPPY WITH THE SMITTYBILT SOFT TOP which does come with soft windows for those who have half doors. :pullinghair:

·
Registered
78 Posts
What year is your Jeep ? When we bought our Smittybilt soft top, we had to fill out a form, so to speak, stating the year, model,and sub model of our Jeep...like 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport TJ 2 door....they sent exactly what we needed...a terrific fit...and it uses the oem frame and straps which fit around the roll bar. Couldn't be happier...and at the price..if it disintegrates in a few years, we can get another and still be $$ ahead.
In addition, we bought a used hard top for winter.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
A friend of mine bought a Rubicon TJ with some crappy aftermarket replacement top on it. The skins themselves seemed to be holding up decent but the windows were cracked and falling apart. I dont remember what brand the top was but i have never had bestop tops do that.

The main problem i had with soft tops is the front window zippers failing and windows getting scratched up to the point you cant see out of them anymore. Other than that i have never had a top fail and I'm not easy on them. I would still rather have a soft top than a hard top i despise hard tops.

I do wish i had bought a frame less hard top instead of my supertop because it would have given me the clearance i needed to get my jeep out of the garage. But the company that made the frame less discontinued the YJ frame less top.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts