Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me why the soft top for my 01 wrangler has all the zippers on the top itself except for the drivers side? Is this all soft tops or is something wrong here? Please help!!
 

·
Yipeee Kay Ayyy
Joined
·
2,839 Posts
97-02 tops were made like that.
03-06 tops have all the zips on the top itself.

FYI I'm running a comlpete 03-06 top on my 97 with no problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hm okay that's good to know but I can't afford a new top yet... Can a zipper on the window be replaced?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
I thought about having a top repaired and upholsterers wouldn’t even look at it without having it completely removed from the jeep.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
SouthernDixie said:
Hm okay that's good to know but I can't afford a new top yet... Can a zipper on the window be replaced?
What is the zipper doing? I was able to repair mine.
 

·
Yipeee Kay Ayyy
Joined
·
2,839 Posts
I bought the wrong year tinted window panels for my top and an auto upholsterer was able to swap the zips over (on the drivers side window panel only) very cheaply - so I assume easily.

But like MOTJ says, it would have been a lot more work to do repairs on the actual roof.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jeepsrgreat said:
What is the zipper doing? I was able to repair mine.
Nothing is wrong with the zipper it's just completely missing from my drivers side window cuz I bought tinted ones thinkin all the zippers were on the top...how do I find a new zipper? And how do I know if it'll fit?
 

·
Yipeee Kay Ayyy
Joined
·
2,839 Posts
Sounds like you did what I did - got the wrong year tinted windows.
If you still have the old windows, an auto upholsterer can take the zip off the old window and put it on the new one.
They did it really cheap for me, so I assume it's an easy job.

EDIT - The WHOLE zip needs to be swapped over, not just the little metal zip slider.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wesboy said:
Sounds like you did what I did - got the wrong year tinted windows.
If you still have the old windows, an auto upholsterer can take the zip off the old window and put it on the new one.
They did it really cheap for me, so I assume it's an easy job.

EDIT - The WHOLE zip needs to be swapped over, not just the little metal zip slider.
No the windows fit perfectly I just don't have the zipper on the tinted windows. The reason I had to buy new Windows is because my jeep only came with the back and the driver side window
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
97-02 tops were made like that.
03-06 tops have all the zips on the top itself.

FYI I'm running a comlpete 03-06 top on my 97 with no problem.
ugh read! 97- 02 tops dont have zipper on the top itself on the DS, the zipper is on the window. you got windows off a newer model jeep.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
951 Posts
I have dual top windows listed 03-06 on box that have zipper on the driver window. My stock 06 top has zipper on top. 99 i had with dual top option had zipper on window, not in top.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JeepWrangler4x4 said:
ugh read! 97- 02 tops dont have zipper on the top itself on the DS, the zipper is on the window. you got windows off a newer model jeep.
My wrangler is an 01 and has almost all zippers on the top itself there is no way you will tell me otherwise
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
My wrangler is an 01 and has almost all zippers on the top itself there is no way you will tell me otherwise

:facepalm: has almost all... hmmm mines a 97, the passenger back window i believe is on the top and the back window.. the driver side is on the window itself.. maybe either way around for the side ones i cant remember off hand which side it is exactly...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JeepWrangler4x4 said:
:facepalm: has almost all... hmmm mines a 97, the passenger back window i believe is on the top and the back window.. the driver side is on the window itself.. maybe either way around for the side ones i cant remember off hand which side it is exactly...
The driver side is on the window itself
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top