Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone,

I have a '94 YJ with a 4" suspension lift on it. It will go anywhere I ask it to, but the ride is absolutely terrible. So far as I can tell, there's about a half inch or so of flex in the front, and half of that is from the tires flexing. The back has a little more, but not much. Now the question I am wondering about is how do I go about softening it up? It has leaf springs on all four corners and solid axles. I was thinking of trying to replace the shocks with softer shocks, but given the springs and axles, would that really do much to soften up the ride?
I will say one thing for it the way it is though. The stiff suspension makes it so there's no body roll, which means I can corner at much higher speeds than you would think a Jeep with a high center of gravity like that should be able to.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Does it still have the trac bars on it? And if so, does it have relocation brackets or no?

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
1. if you installed the lift, did you set the jeep down on the springs before tightening all the leaf spring bolts?

If thats not an issue...

2. let some air out of the tires. I dropped to 30psi from 35psi on my Duratracs and it made a hell of a difference. Much smoother on the road... I used to compare it to a skateboard on a sidewalk (bump bump, bump bump, bump bump) not anymore!

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Go through the process of retorqing the lift and air down. Torque should be 45 ft/lbs from my lift kit.

For the tires do the chalk test, take a piece of chalk and make a sideways mark from left to right on your tires and make it wide and then drive a few miles and see what the wear pattern is. Then drop your air pressure to number you think you want and when you finally get to a wear pattern that is across the whole tire you have the correct pressure. If not jst drop 5 lbs and see what you think.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I have changed shocks to Skyjacker Hydro's, removed my track bars, installed greaseable boomerang shackles and aired down my BFG 33's to 28 pounds. When I got the Jeep it rode like a buckboard. It is MUCH better now, but it is a YJ, so some of that you just have to get used to.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, so I'm pretty much an amateur here. I did not install the lift kit myself, the Jeep came with it on. And I really don't have a clue what most of the stuff you guys are talking about is. What is a track bar? And how would I go about retorquing the lift and air down? Since I didn't install this lift myself, I really don't know how any of it works.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
On both ends of the spring set there are bolts that attach the springs to the frame. If they are overtightened during installation and prior to downjacking and settling the springs you will end up with aspring set that won't cycle when called up by terrain (bumps). So to get that squared away you can loosen the bolts on all four springs and you will notice the shackles have two bolts front most and rear most. The you need to cycle the suspension by either jumping vigorously for a minute on the front and rear bumpers or drive it around the block and then retorque with a torque wrench 3/8 drive or 1/2 drive to 45 ft/lbs. This will ensure that when you are driving the springs will flex as they are supposed to. Airing down means finding a sfae streetable tire pressure for your Jeep. Most places will go by the door tag (mfg recommended) or by the tire and put in max air. With the bigger tires it si not always required most have let some air down. You really want enough air in so they don't heat up too much because then they will expand. So if your tire calls for 35 or 32 you might be more comfortable at 28 or 30. It is all up to feel but you have mainain enough air to be safe on the street. Once on a trail you can air down for comfort and traction to 20 lbs but once you get done you have to air back up for the asphalt run home. So then you need a portable air compressor <$100 for a good one.

The track bars are mounted front and rear I don't have any pics at work but you can google YJ track bars and I am sure you will get something with pics. It is a Ralph Nadaer thing they had to put on becasue of complaints about rollovers back in the 80s.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Track bars are very easy to identify. They are the ONLY bar underneath that bolts directly to the frame on one end, and directly to the axle itself on the other end.

There are steering components in front of it, the track bar is behind all of it. Remove it, it's unnecessary (ignore anyone who tells you that it is for Leaf Springs) on a YJ's suspension. It can also masks a lot of issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts