Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 30 year old weller soldering gun just went kaput. i have heard the new guns are garbage, plus mine was probably to heavy for soldering wire anyway. What seems to work for you? occasional wire solder on 18 JKU:beerme:

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Reactions: gafergusAZ

·
Registered
15,649 Posts
Given the can bus complexity typically one does minimal wiring and the portability and no power cord advantage makes one of the little butane ones handy can even used in the junkyard to remove alt brush connections

But for more frequent use for just wiring a good gun is handy
But for IC work a adjustable iron is a must

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
For best results, you need more than one device.

I have a soldering gun, and two irons.. One iron is 25 watts with a fine point and the other is 80 Watts with a broad point.

The gun is for quick jobs.. It produces instant heat. You don't have to sit and wait for it to warm up.

The small iron is for fine work (circuit boards and small gauge wire) and the large one is for heavier jobs. (Like soldering braided 10 gauge wire). I really should have an adjustable heat iron for the fine work, but I've managed to get by without so far.

My gun is ancient.. Got it around 40 years ago from Sears when I was about 13 yrs old.. It's still going strong. Can't remember what brand the irons are.. But they're typical of what you'd pick up at a place like Harbor Freight..

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
For best results, you need more than one device.

I have a soldering gun, and two irons.. One iron is 25 watts with a fine point and the other is 80 Watts with a broad point.

The gun is for quick jobs.. It produces instant heat. You don't have to sit and wait for it to warm up. The small iron is for fine work (circuit boards and small gauge wire) and the large one is for heavier jobs. (Like soldering braided 10 gauge wire)

My gun is ancient.. Got it around 40 years ago from Sears when I was about 13 yrs old.. Can't remember what brand the irons are.. But they're typical of what you'd pick up at a place like Harbor Freight..
funny I have a little iron that has about a million hours on it that I bought in 1978 when I was taking some electronic courses. I think i got it at radio shack.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I use two different irons for different things. Primary is a Hakko FX-888D. Definitely not cheap but precision heat adjustable, ceramic element for near instant heat up, and a broad selection of tips for different jobs. Totally overkill for soldering automotive wiring and not heavy duty enough for anything more than switch gear and LED wiring. But I have from a career in electronics so there it is :)

I use a Weller iron for heavier stuff. Unfortunately don't have the specs handy but it is something like a 40W iron with enough mass to heat up heavier gauge wires. I don't know that it would handle something like battery or winch primaries but I usually just use a torch for stuff like that.

-m

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I have a 40+ year old Weller gun that the case is held together with glue and duct tape but has a new tip in it. I then have a Weller Temp Controlled station for bench work, a Weller 25W pencil Iron and a Radio Shack 40W pencil iron.

Reactions: gafergusAZ

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I have had terrible luck with my hf soldering gun. My first weller lasted years my hf literally 10 minutes. The tips melt thru and hf does not carry replacements.
Weller sells tips that fit it. For the little bit I solder at home it works fine. If I did a lot of work with it I’d call it very poor.
:beerdrinking:

Reactions: jadmt

·
Registered
314 Posts
I use a Hakko FX88D as a benchtop / portable and a Steinel butane Thermasolder 600 Kit for hard to reach places. There's not much better than the power of the old Weller guns, but they do truly lack on quality now. If you turn the temperature above 800F on the Hakko you can solder 12 gage and maybe 10 gage wire.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I guess it depends on the job, my husband has an iron, a gun and a torch

·
Registered
971 Posts
I have 250 watt Weller been working for 30 years and still going strong. I bend my own tips from common 12 gauge solid copper wire keep them tinned and they work well.
gun has a 2 temp trigger and for most electrical work the low setting is plenty but if more heat is needed just squeeze the trigger to high. but extended use on high shortens the tip life

1 - 16 of 16 Posts