Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first YJ with solid bottom and canvas door uppers. ( mY last had full doors.) While I like the "look" with the canvas off, dealing with zippered windows on the drivers door is a royal PITA at drive throughs/security guard shacks, etc. I guess I could buy full doors but I saw some sliding/solid window upper door replacements somewhere in a catalog. Does anybody have anything good or bad to say about replacemnt door uppers with hard/sliding windows? Brands? Vendors? experience?

Thanks!

·
Registered
283 Posts
My YJ came with used sliders. They have a regular YJ metal window frame, a fabric-denim surround and the hard glass enclosure in the middle. I know Bestop also makes them and I know some have fiberglass(?) instead of fabric surrounds. They ain't cheap.

That said, mine are so old that the channels are just about 'gone' and the things often stick when opening or closing... I'll take them ANY DAY over the zippered models and I plan to keep these until they fall OFF the frame, if I have to... these things are at least 10 or 12 years old and you can still SEE out of them.. the fabric is still sound... I doubt you'd ever get that kind of service from the fabric/clear plastic uppers.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Nuthin said:
My YJ came with used sliders. They have a regular YJ metal window frame, a fabric-denim surround and the hard glass enclosure in the middle. I know Bestop also makes them and I know some have fiberglass(?) instead of fabric surrounds. They ain't cheap.

That said, mine are so old that the channels are just about 'gone' and the things often stick when opening or closing... I'll take them ANY DAY over the zippered models and I plan to keep these until they fall OFF the frame, if I have to... these things are at least 10 or 12 years old and you can still SEE out of them.. the fabric is still sound... I doubt you'd ever get that kind of service from the fabric/clear plastic uppers.
My soft door uppers are original to my Jeep. That's almost 13 years. They are still in great condition.

·
Registered
283 Posts
amerijeep said:
My soft door uppers are original to my Jeep. That's almost 13 years. They are still in great condition.
Well, don't be shy! Teach me the trick cuz these sliders aren't going to last forever.

;)

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
The trick is having the doors and top in storage 8 or 9 months every year.

kd5dhr

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had some of the sliders and they were cool and all but they just weren't for me. so i took them off the frame and put the zipper ones on and i like them a lot so if anyone wants to but some sliders with out the frame. let me know they are in great shape

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had sliders on mine when I first purchased it. I hated them. The window opening was really small and sat too far back to be of any use. I would MUCH rather have some solid steel full doors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts