Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
VERY slight rubbing in front when turning and backing up a pretty steep hill, but also I think I'm rubbing pretty good in the rear when cruising over potholes on a crappy road I drive up to go mountain biking. I want to keep the ride as close to stock as possible and I don't want to stick anything on there that will jeopardize any other parts on the rig. I'm thinking the TF leveling kit is the ideal solution but wanted to ask. My Jeep actually sits pretty level with the TF Hinged Tire Carrier on the tailgate, 50 lb bike rack on the hitch, and an extra 13 lbs of wheel and tire over the stock Rubi so I think I'd just add one spacer front and rear.

Thanks!

·
Registered
876 Posts
VERY slight rubbing in front when turning and backing up a pretty steep hill, but also I think I'm rubbing pretty good in the rear when cruising over potholes on a crappy road I drive up to go mountain biking. I want to keep the ride as close to stock as possible and I don't want to stick anything on there that will jeopardize any other parts on the rig. I'm thinking the TF leveling kit is the ideal solution but wanted to ask. My Jeep actually sits pretty level with the TF Hinged Tire Carrier on the tailgate, 50 lb bike rack on the hitch, and an extra 13 lbs of wheel and tire over the stock Rubi so I think I'd just add one spacer front and rear.

Thanks!
Seems fairly simple. The rear end has too much weight without a lift. The front end can be as simple as the back space of the wheel.

My Mickey Thompson's have a 4.5 back space? Seems to work on my stock JK 2012 Sport with the same tire size as yours? Running BFG MT KM2's.

50 Something

·
Registered
142 Posts

Thanks!
AEV 2.5 Lift, RR Wheels and 285/70/17 DT's. No rubbing issues but of course the lift is the reason. I think the TF leveling kit is all you need.
Regards,
Jim

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you wheeled yours yet Mike? I 100% do not rub on the street, but def on the trail. BTW I owe you a pic of my black Rubi with painted top and RR/DT combo!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have the Rugged Ridge Wheels and the 285/70/17 Duratracs. I tried to fix the rubbing by installing the TF Leveling Kit. It was improved but not cured when off road. I changed to the AEV 2.5 lift and now have no rubbing at all. Much better ride too.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the Rugged Ridge Wheels and the 285/70/17 Duratracs. I tried to fix the rubbing by installing the TF Leveling Kit. It was improved but not cured when off road. I changed to the AEV 2.5 lift and now have no rubbing at all. Much better ride too.
Do you have any pics of this setup? Was the ride actually worse than factory with the Leveling Kit?

Thanks!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Do you have any pics of this setup? Was the ride actually worse than factory with the Leveling Kit?

Thanks!
In my opinion the ride and handling were much worse than stock with the TF leveling kit. Not sure why, since the springs were the same. The rubber lift pucks do have some effect on the ride. Bear in mind that I have an unlimited with a Rock Hard front bumper and a Warn PowerPlant. I'll try to find a pic to post.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In my opinion the ride and handling were much worse than stock with the TF leveling kit. Not sure why, since the springs were the same. The rubber lift pucks do have some effect on the ride. Bear in mind that I have an unlimited with a Rock Hard front bumper and a Warn PowerPlant. I'll try to find a pic to post.
Good to know thanks. I have no interest in worsening the ride any further from where its currently at.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Springs

52126314AC
68004256AA

Bleh thats why my rig looks like a low rider.
I went from 14/55s to 18/59s and gained 1.5" in the front and 3/4" in the rear, the ride is also firmer, however I put Rubicon shocks on at the same time so it may not be entirely the springs. I like the stance alot better. I am running 285/70/17s on stock wheels with no wheels spacers and no rubbing. I have also had 2 adults in the back seat with no rubbing.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok that sounds great.
I'm actually perfectly level (no rake) right now with all the extra weight on the back with 14/56. Sounds like moving to 18/60 or something would keep me level and give the extra clearance I need.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Have you wheeled yours yet Mike? I 100% do not rub on the street, but def on the trail. BTW I owe you a pic of my black Rubi with painted top and RR/DT combo!
Some minor wheeling so far and didn't look to me like it was close to rubbing.

Let's see the pics!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts