Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I traded my 2-door JK almost specifically to accommodate my Rottweiler, Cato. One weekend we packed up with the addition of my girlfriend and her Lab to go camping and I felt sorry looking back at their cramped rear cargo area. When I traded for my JKU, I overlooked the absolutely terrible gap, or trench that is created when the seats are folded down. This became a top priority to fix, yet I've never seen a solution that made much sense to me. There are a few companies that make cheap covers that fold with the seats - but those don't even fix the issue completely. I've even seen some crazy modders' out there take to welding brackets, etc. But for those of us who want this to be taken care of the right way without spending a ton of money? I'm in the Navy and as the saying goes "ask the Chief"... sure enough one of the Chiefs at my command gave me the answer right away. HORSE STALL MATTING. A single 4x6 section can be purchased for $39.99 at your local Tractor Supply and cut specifically for the rear cargo area of a JKU. The benefits? This extremely thick rubber-compound is made to assist the pressure of horses standing in an aluminum trailer - it provides outstanding grip for your pups AND is safer than the rock hard cargo area carpeting. It also rolls /folds right up when you want to put the seats up. My 3 recommendations after project completion are: 1. Measure everything inside the Jeep then cut outside, 2. WASH the mat thoroughly as it smells horrible upon purchase (like tar/rubber), 3. Be safe, and use a VERY sharp cutting tool (my girlfriend and I hacked away with what we had - my dive knife). Here are the pics of the final product and my boy, Cato:

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
Yeah, always ask the Chief. They do tend to know all that is worth knowing. After spending 4 years in the Corps at Texas A&M, I went to OCS then to flight training. I remember well a helpful hint delivered to our class one day by a LCDR. He said "When you graduate don't go out with your thin gold stripe flapping in the breeze thinking you are God's gift to the Navy - you aren't. When you get to your duty station, you find out where the wardroom is, where your bunk is and then report into your division chief. Let him know that if he needs your rank, you will be at your desk drinking coffee. Let him run the division and you will both be successful." In my 5 1/2 years in the Navy, on two carriers and overseas, I never found that out to be wrong.

The Rottie looks to be a youngster. I have Dobermans and in 2008 looked at a JKU and did not like the trench either and opted for a mini-van. However, in 2015 I traded it for a 2015 Sahara, forgetting all about the trench. Falling back on the Navy, do what ever it takes to fix it, I roll up towels and jam them in the trench and then put pads over the surface front to back. It takes two pads to cover. I have one I use in a crate for rescues I transport and the other is a 48" pad normally in the house.

I like the idea of horse stall matting and may see about getting some and putting it between the carpet and pads.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Rottie looks to be a youngster. I have Dobermans and in 2008 looked at a JKU and did not like the trench either and opted for a mini-van. However, in 2015 I traded it for a 2015 Sahara, forgetting all about the trench. Falling back on the Navy, do what ever it takes to fix it, I roll up towels and jam them in the trench and then put pads over the surface front to back. It takes two pads to cover. I have one I use in a crate for rescues I transport and the other is a 48" pad normally in the house.

Funny - that's what I had been doing (minus the crate) for the last year or so. Those towels always ended up pretty gnarly and/or being used post-dog park trips. That pic was a while back. He turned a year old recently and is right around 100lbs, with estimates of about 150lbs at age 3 if he stays lean. Eventually he'll get a brother and it will be either a Doberman, another Rott, Belgian Malinois, GSD, or Bulldog.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just recently purchased a JKURHR and was concerned over the trench also.

I have a 3 year old female rottie that is about 100 lbs and will be riding back there.

Your mat is a great idea thanks for posting.

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
My pup is spoiled, backseat is for him and whatever else needs to be hauled goes behind that. He pretty much runs the house too lol

·
Grumpy Old Guy
2,650 Posts
The funny part... you go to the trouble of creating the mat, and he is sitting in the front! My Mastiff does ti all the time.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The funny part... you go to the trouble of creating the mat, and he is sitting in the front! My Mastiff does ti all the time.
That pic was actually a while back when he could fit up there. He and I were on a 7 hour trip and he wasn't comfortable in the back so I brought him up front and blasted the A/C (supposed to help prevent car sickness in dogs...worked for him). Have you posted your Mastiff in the post "dogs in jeeps" ? I'm waiting to get a good one of Cato before I post it.

My pup is spoiled, backseat is for him and whatever else needs to be hauled goes behind that. He pretty much runs the house too lol
More often than not these days I'm riding with 2 dogs (my Rotty and GF's lab) and they would just knock heads if I tried that.

I just recently purchased a JKURHR and was concerned over the trench also.

I have a 3 year old female rottie that is about 100 lbs and will be riding back there.

Your mat is a great idea thanks for posting.
Absolutely! Rotties are the best :)

A large percentage of Jeep people have their four legged friends in tote (in my experience at least) and I have been absolutely dumbfounded when it comes to the lack of products in regards to K9's - let alone that dogs have been overlooked by Jeep engineers. As with a lot of Jeep products, even if you find K9 related stuff it's priced for wealth - 200 dollars for a nylon net? Laughable. I've had the net from my picture for about 18 months now, and while it's almost time to replace it - I spent all of $9 on Amazon for it.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Your horse stall mat is an awesome idea. JCDriller did this as well, when he built the rear drawer setup.
Easy to wash, wears like iron, and comfortable for the dog with good grip.

My last dog was an extremely tough shepherd, except when it came to his Rottie Girls. Then he'd change into this goofy, soft, knucklhead. They had him totally wrapped around their paws. So funny to watch this big tough guy bouncing around like a love struck goober. lol

Friends use their Rotties in search and rescue. Very smart, trainable and loving dogs! :thumb:

·
Grumpy Old Guy
2,650 Posts
That pic was actually a while back when he could fit up there. He and I were on a 7 hour trip and he wasn't comfortable in the back so I brought him up front and blasted the A/C (supposed to help prevent car sickness in dogs...worked for him). Have you posted your Mastiff in the post "dogs in jeeps" ? I'm waiting to get a good one of Cato before I post it
I have not yet. I have 2 female danes. One is too old to get up that high any more. The other rides once a week. My Great Dane/Bull Mastiff mix is only 16 months old and is a monster. Biggest baby in the world, but he is amazing. I take him to doggy play time once a week. We work from home and take him on a our busy conference call days. He loves the truck. Cant wait to take the top off this summer and see how he does.

Where is the thread for dogs in jeeps?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your horse stall mat is an awesome idea. JCDriller did this as well, when he built the rear drawer setup.
Easy to wash, wears like iron, and comfortable for the dog with good grip.

My last dog was an extremely tough shepherd, except when it came to his Rottie Girls. Then he'd change into this goofy, soft, knucklhead. They had him totally wrapped around their paws. So funny to watch this big tough guy bouncing around like a love struck goober. lol

Friends use their Rotties in search and rescue. Very smart, trainable and loving dogs! :thumb:
It's held strong on 3 rides with both dogs so far - and your sentiment certainly backs it up even more. Cato has realized his male status and cannot get enough female attention lately so I can relate to that lol

I have not yet. I have 2 female danes. One is too old to get up that high any more. The other rides once a week. My Great Dane/Bull Mastiff mix is only 16 months old and is a monster. Biggest baby in the world, but he is amazing. I take him to doggy play time once a week. We work from home and take him on a our busy conference call days. He loves the truck. Cant wait to take the top off this summer and see how he does.

Where is the thread for dogs in jeeps?
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f354/dogs-in-jeeps-829073.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts