Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

New guy here. I currently have a 1999 Wrangler Sahara (4.0, 5 speed) and just wanted to share a little problem I encountered the other day. On the way back down a little off road trail, my Jeep started to stall, buck, and eventually die on me, even when we were on the road. It would happen randomly too. I though I may have seriously messed something up but after getting it towed home and doing a ton of research on here, I narrowed down my problem to either the Crankshaft sensor or the Camshaft sensor being the issue.
Long story short, my Crankshaft sensor's wires had been touching the exhaust manifold and melted the wires, causing me to replace the sensor. It was an easy fix once I figured it out and so I wanted to share my experience on the chance that someone else may have the same issue.
Lastly, I hope the images I attached work right and everyone can understand what I'm talking about.

Attachments

·
Registered
432 Posts
Thanks for this post. How long did it take to find the problem?

I knew a guy who chased a similar problem but the damage to the wiring was from a wreck or from the wreck repair. He chased that problem for a long time, kinda ruined his life for a while.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wrangaleer - not going to lie, it took me a solid day to find. I did a throughout visual inspection on pretty much everything around the engine/transmission until I finally saw the damaged wires. I didn't see it immediately so that's why it took me so long. I'm terrible when it comes to anything electrical too so I had that woking against me.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
What did you replace it with? Mopar/OEM is the best fix. Many stories on here about aftermarket sensors failing quickly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What did you replace it with? Mopar/OEM is the best fix. Many stories on here about aftermarket sensors failing quickly.
Sorry forgot to mention that part! I went with Mopar one from the dealership. I also read about how the non-Mopar sensors are terrible. It was about $40-50 more but I figured it was well worth it. I also zip-tied it out of the way so it wouldn't rub on the exhaust manifold again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts