Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My TJ (04 Mountain with a D44) is going to get some relatively big upgrades, and I have a few questions I hope you guys can answer. I'm picking up an OME lift (~2"), adjustable control arms all the way around, adjustable F&R track bars, and a Rokmen skid collection. That should lift the transfer case & lower the axles enough that I'm fairly certain I'll need a SYE and DC driveshaft. Here are my questions:

- Will I have problems with coil bind/shock interference in the rear after adjusting the pinion angle for a SYE/DC driveshaft at this lift height?

- I know I will need the body lift for the tummy tuck/gas skid, but will I still want the MML? It seems that it would hurt the front driveshaft angle a bit, and I shouldn't need the "help" with the SYE, correct? It would help clearance the radiator shroud at this point, but I could do that with some cutting too.

- While I'm waiting for my driveshaft, how much driving can I do in "FWD" mode? It seems like it shouldn't hurt anything, but I'm no expert.

Lastly, are there any suggestions for SYE brands? It seems the advanced adapters one is popular. I wouldn't mind spending some extra cash for a somehow easier in-the-driveway install.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
- yes. whether its bad enough to do something about, and what you do about it is up to you.

-yes, install the MML.

- yes, FWD driving with no rear driveshaft is just fine. no problems.

- Advance Adapters or JB Conversions.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
QADaemon said:
My TJ (04 Mountain with a D44) is going to get some relatively big upgrades, and I have a few questions I hope you guys can answer. I'm picking up an OME lift (~2"), adjustable control arms all the way around, adjustable F&R track bars, and a Rokmen skid collection. That should lift the transfer case & lower the axles enough that I'm fairly certain I'll need a SYE and DC driveshaft. Here are my questions:

- Will I have problems with coil bind/shock interference in the rear after adjusting the pinion angle for a SYE/DC driveshaft at this lift height?

- I know I will need the body lift for the tummy tuck/gas skid, but will I still want the MML? It seems that it would hurt the front driveshaft angle a bit, and I shouldn't need the "help" with the SYE, correct? It would help clearance the radiator shroud at this point, but I could do that with some cutting too.

- While I'm waiting for my driveshaft, how much driving can I do in "FWD" mode? It seems like it shouldn't hurt anything, but I'm no expert.

Lastly, are there any suggestions for SYE brands? It seems the advanced adapters one is popular. I wouldn't mind spending some extra cash for a somehow easier in-the-driveway install.

Thanks!
I have the same question about coil spring/shock and track bar bracket binding after my sye and "CV" driveshaft. Also curious as to what type of numbers i need to shoot for on the pinion angle? Could someone shed some light on this for us?

I HIGHLY recommend the mml. Makes the bl instal go 100 times easier and also gives you more oil pan clearance which the undercover fab oil pan skid takes advantage of ;)

Yes driving with the rear driveshaft out is ok but when I did it, I tried not to apply torque to the wheels when Turing sharply and tried to shift VERY easily since my chain is streched. I'm replacing it with an alloy USA chain I bought from cseoffroad on eBay for 67$ and some change shipped.

The sye its self? I bought the rugged ridge for 159 off eBay and it looks well built. Can't say much about it yet as far as strength but the main shaft does look strong and the rear house seams like quality workmanship, just a little light being cast aluminum.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I guess I'll put it together and see how bad the interference is before I decide what, if anything, to do.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
QADaemon said:
Thanks guys, I guess I'll put it together and see how bad the interference is before I decide what, if anything, to do.
I think that's what I'm gonna do too. What are you gonna do for your pinion angle? That's my biggest concern

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well with a DC, you want the pinion to point exactly at the centerline of the shaft at ride height, if I understand correctly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts