Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was running around and was parked at a local shopping center. I've seen this one newer JK running around town and it has some nice wheels and Mickey Thompson tires on it. They look to be 33's but I wanted to ask the owner about it.

I see him wheel in and park the Jeep. I drive over and ask if I can have a moment of time with him.

I ask him if the Jeep has any lift to it and what size the tires are?

He says "I don't know, I'm not much of a Car Guy, I bought it from the Dealer this way!"

Someone shoot the kitty on this one!

He seems to enjoy the Jeep, he's just as enthusiastic as I am about mine. I know there are others in the area that understand what a Jeep is all about, just wish I knew more of them!

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
Yeah you'll find those and some you can teach, and some decide that is not where they want to go/ and end up selling their Jeep.

I was one of those to begin with, now I am a quick "paperback read".....there is so much I don't know it scares me!!!! But I like the TJ the way I have it set up..for right now....and the JK makes a very nice, "Good Vehicle".

I always talk to Jeep people and around here have been nicely surprised that most women in the Jeeps (around here) know more than I do and wheel their Jeep regularly...makes it easier to get the wife to go when there are other women to talk with,..... and she doesn't get mad that I am off wheeling while she is off doing something else.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
yeah,jeeps are going the same way harleys did..not many build them anymore,they just buy new ones and have the dealer bolt a bunch of chrome on them and then call it "custom"..my main enjoyment in going to bike events has always been talking with other builders about truely custom things they were doing with their scoots ( and of course watching my wife's excitement when she won shows )..now days there is not anyone to talk to on that level.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As one of the 75% who know nothing about Jeeps other than I own Two and I like them, I would like to thank all of you who will be patient with us and answer our questions. Breaking in to a new hobby (lifestyle) is daunting enough without being reminded how much of a drooling moron I am about the simple stuff. I'm just glad that the different years of production are posted or I wouldn't even know what type of Jeeps I own :).

I'm looking forward to learning more as I read, and you will probably find that most of us 75%ers sought this forum out because of the great education we can get here without having to listen to a sales pitch from a vendor. That's very important because I don't have money to throw away and I don't want to bolt a bunch of random add-ons to either of my Jeeps hoping to look cool and get some street cred. I just want to make them as functional as possible and not break the bank doing it.

Thanks again for the information.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
As one of the 75% who know nothing about Jeeps other than I own Two and I like them, I would like to thank all of you who will be patient with us and answer our questions. Breaking in to a new hobby (lifestyle) is daunting enough without being reminded how much of a drooling moron I am about the simple stuff. I'm just glad that the different years of production are posted or I wouldn't even know what type of Jeeps I own :).

I'm looking forward to learning more as I read, and you will probably find that most of us 75%ers sought this forum out because of the great education we can get here without having to listen to a sales pitch from a vendor. That's very important because I don't have money to throw away and I don't want to bolt a bunch of random add-ons to either of my Jeeps hoping to look cool and get some street cred. I just want to make them as functional as possible and not break the bank doing it.

X2 :thumb: :appl:

·
Registered
2,239 Posts

You're not clueless. I'm talking about the ones who ask for advice, then ignore it completely. It makes you wonder why they asked in the first place. As long as you're asking questions, you're learning :thumb:

·
Registered
2001 Wrangler Sport
4,645 Posts
s14sh3r said:
You're not clueless. I'm talking about the ones who ask for advice, then ignore it completely. It makes you wonder why they asked in the first place. As long as you're asking questions, you're learning :thumb:
Agreed, I'm still pretty clueless on a lot but I love to do my reading until I understand, if not ill keep looking until I finally ask a question, been 6 months with the Jeep and I think I've absorbed a lot of info, and I'm always open to suggestions.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Agree with the above posts. I've learned so much from this forum (and husband) about my Jeep. Lockers, sway bars? I was clueless. Still have a lot to learn but at least I can tell ya about the mods I've done. And I'm not a complete idiot when talking to other Jeepers about their mods.

·
Registered
6 Posts
s14sh3r,
I hope no one thinks that I took offense to what you said, I'm pretty sure that most of the forums on the internet are populated by a couple subject matter experts with a large population of enthusiasts. I'm just saying thanks for spreading the information around.

I've been on other forums where the dogpiling started to become a sport and it brought the whole mood down to the point where some of the really clued-in guys stopped coming around and providing good information. I don't think that's where you were headed, I'm sure that you were just making a pretty valid point.

I'm going back to lurking and learning now, thanks again. :)

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
s14sh3r,
I hope no one thinks that I took offense to what you said, I'm pretty sure that most of the forums on the internet are populated by a couple subject matter experts with a large population of enthusiasts. I'm just saying thanks for spreading the information around.

I've been on other forums where the dogpiling started to become a sport and it brought the whole mood down to the point where some of the really clued-in guys stopped coming around and providing good information. I don't think that's where you were headed, I'm sure that you were just making a pretty valid point.

I'm going back to lurking and learning now, thanks again. :)
Nah, I didn't take it that way. You're right though, it definitely goes both ways. This is supposed to be a noob friendly forum. Jumping on new guys asking basic questions doesn't help anything. I for one don't mind offering what little I know to anyone who asks :thumb:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just because someone doesn't know or sometimes actually care what goes into things, doesn't mean that they don't love what they have.

Look at race car drivers, there was a time when the drivers knew how to build the car, now most of them don't know if there is a muffler bearing or not. Ask most pro football players what type of helmet they use. My wife loves her Cuisinart but has no idea how it works. I spec monster CAD computers and the users just like it because its fast, but have no idea what is under the hood. We all have our knowledges and comfort zones.

And some people think that two-buck chuck is wine.
Or that Taco Bell is authentic mexican food.

·
Registered
186 Posts
ive had a jeep for 7 years but joined this forum not long ago because I am still learning some things and am clueless about others. I just recently learned from another post on here that some Wranglers come in 2wd. I never knew that. Anyone know why? are they cheaper than a 4x4 and/or marketed towards city drivers? and do they really not come with a trail rate badge? I suppose I could try to google the answers but I know theres someone here who knows.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
ive had a jeep for 7 years but joined this forum not long ago because I am still learning some things and am clueless about others. I just recently learned from another post on here that some Wranglers come in 2wd. I never knew that. Anyone know why? are they cheaper than a 4x4 and/or marketed towards city drivers? and do they really not come with a trail rate badge? I suppose I could try to google the answers but I know theres someone here who knows.
Most Postal Jeeps I've seen are 2wd. I saw a 2wd 4 door JK the other day. I know the person who drives it and it's strictly an on highway vehicle so I suppose it makes sense.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Just because someone doesn't know or sometimes actually care what goes into things, doesn't mean that they don't love what they have.

Look at race car drivers, there was a time when the drivers knew how to build the car, now most of them don't know if there is a muffler bearing or not. Ask most pro football players what type of helmet they use. My wife loves her Cuisinart but has no idea how it works. I spec monster CAD computers and the users just like it because its fast, but have no idea what is under the hood. We all have our knowledges and comfort zones.

And some people think that two-buck chuck is wine.
Or that Taco Bell is authentic mexican food.
I agree, sir.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts