Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on another forum as well and wanted to post here as we'll as I am sure not everyone is on the same forums and I am looking for as many suggestions and advice as I can get before ordering my JKUR.

I have been lurking for awhile now on many forums and taking in all of the knowledge I can. I am ready to pull the trigger on a 2013 JKUR and am a little confused on what to do. The only dealer in my area has been good so far with questions and such and will be competitive on prices so that is out of the way but now my dilemma is as follows:

I can get a 3 inch lift dealer installed from TeraFlex lift # 1251200 and have a 36000 mile warranty on my Jeep from the dealer. This lift seems very
basic i.e. no control arms, no shocks etc... And while I know TeraFlex is a quality company this lift just seems to be lacking. Total price $2831.00 including labor and some other misc. small parts. The warranty part is the only thing that really even keeps this option on my radar and can't get a straight answer from my dealer if I lift it myself will they void my warranty or make things much more difficult. Obviously they are a mod friendly dealer to some extent or they wouldn't offer lifts out the door but if I don't buy it from them who knows.

Option 2 is a Metal Cloak 3.5 inch Gamechanger Lite lift. this seems like a nearly complete kit and have read very good things about their lifts. I am a newbie so I am not sure what else would be required or at least highly recommended with this kit. Price of this kit is $2599.00 but I would need to do the install which I think I could tackle. Seems pretty straight forward. I feel like I would be getting far more for my money this route depending on any warranty issues that could arise with the Jeep. Also how many other recommended components I would need to add would jump the price up i.e. track bars or brackets, high steer kits etc.... Don't know much about these things.

Option 3 would be RK 3.5 max travel for $2279.00 and I also know that they are a great company as well. This kit does not include shocks like the Metal Cloak so in the end it would be a little higher priced. My concerns with this lift are the same as the Metal Cloak as far as everything else goes.

I plan to run 35 inch tires for now and possibly may want to upgrade to 37s in a couple years but may not who knows as this is my DD as well.

If anyone could help with some advice I would appreciate it as all of the research has made me a little wiser but more confused if that makes sense.
Thanks in advance and this forum has been a wealth of knowledge so far.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
If its your dd as well I'm going to venture to say metal cloak is a bit overkill for your needs.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I can get a 3 inch lift dealer installed from TeraFlex lift # 1251200 and have a 36000 mile warranty on my Jeep from the dealer. This lift seems very basic i.e. no control arms, no shocks etc... And while I know TeraFlex is a quality company this lift just seems to be lacking. Total price $2831.00 including labor and some other misc. small parts. The warranty part is the only thing that really even keeps this option on my radar and can't get a straight answer from my dealer if I lift it myself will they void my warranty or make things much more difficult. Obviously they are a mod friendly dealer to some extent or they wouldn't offer lifts out the door but if I don't buy it from them who knows.
Just addressing the dealer/TF combo:

When I Google that part #, I get this: TeraFlex Part 1251200 - 3" Suspension System

Comes with shocks and springs, and costs about a grand. Paying almost three grand for the kit and install (plus whatever misc parts you're referring to) seems, well, heinous. :eek:

For lifts 3" and up, you're gonna want adj ca's (for caster) and adj track bars (to center your axles). More mods as you go higher. You're also gonna need driveshafts...

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
Well make sure you get 4.10 gears in that rubi, they now offer 3.73 in them. Gear swaps are not cheap or easy to do and the 4.10 should be good for the 35's
Unless you absolutely have to finance the lift I would put it on myself and save quite a bit over what the dealer is going to charge you for some pretty simple work.
3.5" is a bit much for 35" tires as well, keep it around 2" and life will be much simpler.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well maybe I don't need 3 inches and should be looking at 2.5 instead but in thinking that I may at some point run 37s I thout that would be the right choice. Both the MC and the RK may be overkill for my uses but I don't know that yet as I plan to wheel some and I know we have some good trails in the Black Hills since I used to ride all over on atvs. I guess maybe I was just under the impression that a little to high on the lift is better than a little too low. I would rather be over built rather than under.

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming. You already kinda helped me decide what I thought I already knew about the dealer installed lift. Was just nervous about warranty.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Well maybe I don't need 3 inches and should be looking at 2.5 instead but in thinking that I may at some point run 37s I thout that would be the right choice. Both the MC and the RK may be overkill for my uses but I don't know that yet as I plan to wheel some and I know we have some good trails in the Black Hills since I used to ride all over on atvs. I guess maybe I was just under the impression that a little to high on the lift is better than a little too low. I would rather be over built rather than under.
Actually, you'll benefit from keeping your Jeep's center of gravity lower. The lift simply raises your Jeep enough to run larger tires, which is where most of your clearance comes from. No need to run a 3.5"+ lift unless it's for a specific reason...extreme mudding, crawling big rocks, etc. In such cases, your best bet might be a good long-arm kit. Anyway...

Check out the profile of WF member plukethe2...IIRC, he's running a 2" OME lift with 37's. With a 2.5" lift you should be able to clear 37's by running flat fenders and choosing the right bump stops.

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming. You already kinda helped me decide what I thought I already knew about the dealer installed lift. Was just nervous about warranty.
People misunderstand the whole warranty issue. Maybe your dealer says they'll honor the warranty on a lift installed by them, but that's not Chrysler talking.

You warranty can't be voided by adding a lift. Chrysler won't warranty the aftermarket parts, obviously (including mopar, I believe), but for them to deny you coverage on a peripheral part, they'd have to prove that your mods directly caused that part to fail. Tons of threads on this...

I'm with kjeeper10 on the whole dealer-installed lift thing: you'd be much better off buying a quality lift of your choice and installing it yourself, or finding some local Jeepers here on the forum who can help you do it for pizza and the appropriate beverage.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
The oll "lifts are only for running larger tires" gets said on this forum a lot. There is a lot more to it then that, but I won't go into all of it again right now. I will give one example of why this isn't always right.

Say you put just enough lift on to run 35's, you drive over a log in the road, the clearance you gained under your axles dont mater if you hit it straight on.
Now your front axle is over the log and you hang up on the belly, you get drug off and the next jeep comes along with the same size tires but has a bit more lift and his belly dose not drag. This goes for ledges and all kinds of stuff along the trail.
This is more of a problem for the 4 door then the other jeeps but it still makes a difference.
For the kind of wheeling that most people.do 1 or 2 inches will not affect there cog enough to be a problem as long as they don't have all there travel limited to keep bigger tires from eating the fenders.
This is assuming you want to budget in the extra cost to run a bigger lift. If you don't then don't say " Oh I built a low cog jeep cause they are the safest and best wheeling jeeps there are". Its like everything else, its all about what works for the area you tend to wheel in, your budget, and your style of wheeling.

All that being said just about anything will work on a Jk for running med and med/hard trails. Its all about seat time and learning what you and your rig can and can't do.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
First, as stated above, don't waste your $$ on dealer installs and high markup on the lift. Take it to a shop, or buy the kit and go over the instructions thoroughly to see if its something you can tackle.
Jeep cannot "void" your warranty, period.
And if your even thinking of 37"s, please go with the RK 3.5 mid arm flex. You will not regret that decision. Also, wheel selection is very important. Try to stay with a 4" or less back space to avoid rubbing the inside of the tire on sway bar links, frame, etc.
2.5 won't give you the suspension travel you need for the kind of wheeling that you have there.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JPi1 said:
First, as stated above, don't waste your $$ on dealer installs and high markup on the lift. Take it to a shop, or buy the kit and go over the instructions thoroughly to see if its something you can tackle.
Jeep cannot "void" your warranty, period.
And if your even thinking of 37"s, please go with the RK 3.5 mid arm flex. You will not regret that decision. Also, wheel selection is very important. Try to stay with a 4" or less back space to avoid rubbing the inside of the tire on sway bar links, frame, etc.
2.5 won't give you the suspension travel you need for the kind of wheeling that you have there.
So in your opinion, lets just say that I am not ever going to run 37s and stick with 35s. Will 3.5 be too much lift or look a little goofy with 35s. I must also say that I will be replacing fenders at some point which will open things up but also make the tires look more out of place, or will it? I am not going to do this all right away but want to have a good plan going in. Eventually I will be replacing bumpers etc.. Thanks

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
BlackHills said:
So in your opinion, lets just say that I am not ever going to run 37s and stick with 35s. Will 3.5 be too much lift or look a little goofy with 35s. I must also say that I will be replacing fenders at some point which will open things up but also make the tires look more out of place, or will it? I am not going to do this all right away but want to have a good plan going in. Eventually I will be replacing bumpers etc.. Thanks
35"s will be good with the 3.5, and 37"s will be good too with the right bump stops. It won't look goofy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts