Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jeep has been in my family for a while- All of my brothers and I have at some point had our fathers 93 Saraha as our regular vehicle and I have always wanted a Wrangler of my own.

Now that I am out of college I am looking into buying a 2013 Wrangler and have some general questions since I have never bought my own vehicle before.

1.) How low can you REALLY talk the dealer- Ideally for me it would be great to get the jeep I want (listed below) at invoice price or about 23k

2.) Should I talk to the dealer, make a deal/get a quote and THEN order the vehicle?/Should I get them to order the vehicle before I have my loan set up through my credit union or is it okay to have them order my specifications and over the course of the wait time- get all the finances in order?

The ideal Wrangler for me
2013, Sport, Commando Green, Hard Top, Black 17 inch wheels.
Sorry for the noob questions.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Depending on your options that price could be had. If you do Tread Lightly I guess you get 1% under invoice guaranteed. It's $60 for membership. You can go to Edmunds and configure your Jeep (on a 2012 at least) and get an MSRP and invoice price to work off of. You can also consider a 2012 as the 13's have been available now a couple months or so and dealers are pushing the 12's. Wranglers don't get cut drastically but I did the same thing and a couple days ago on my new Rubi.

If you already get your financing approved through your CU it will make the deal easier walking in with a check and telling them what you want.

·
Registered
522 Posts
If you are planning to order, do not apply for financing first. Place your order and then when it is getting close to being delivered apply for your financing. Reason being, a lot of financing will only be good for 30 days or so and ordering will take longer than that.

Now would be the time to pull your credit reports/scores and make sure there are no errors, but I wouldn't apply for financing until much closer to the purchase date.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Although I am very new to the forum myself, may I offer that you look at the JK build thread. There is a link where you can download a JK pricing spreadsheet. It is extremely helpful. I am using it to assist in my purchasing. There is also another thread on how much people paid for their JKs. Again, very helpful because it is showing me what people are paying, real world. On average, I am seeing 1-3% below invoice. In some cases, even more! I think this a great bargaining chip. But your greatest chip is the ability to walk away if something isn't right :)

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
You'll get a better deal if you DON'T order and buy something they have in stock. Your requirements, aside from the black wheels, aren't that specific. Probably just have to be patient for your color choice. Buy the wheels yourself after market- you'll have a ton more selection- and you'll get a much better deal on a Jeep with steelies or stock wheels. Sold my 24S wheels/tires for $500. Probably worth ordering to get 3.73s if you plan to modify down the road though. (Many threads on gearing so just search "3.21" for more info.)
You might also want to try Costco- if you don't have a high volume dealer near you sometimes the Costco dealer incentives are just as good.

·
Registered
347 Posts
In my opinion, if you are ordering one, you are not going to be in position to negotiate price as much down as if you could with the Jeep they have on lot.
First, you should prepare yourself :
1. Know exactly what you want. Then learn what is it that you would like, but can live without. Make yourself a list of everything that you want.
2. Now roll up your sleeves, and Google Invoice pricing for all that you want. There are several sites that will give you Invoice pricing. Jog down these prices next to each and every option that you want (including the Invoice price of the vehicle).
3. You can drop down the pricing but you will have to pay destination fee and taxes. When it comes to taxes (if you trade in something, that could be deducted from your taxes).
Try to find vehicle that you like, with the options that you want, available on the lot.
I found my 2013 Rubicon with every single option that I wanted, except the color. But the color they had, I could live with (black), so I ended up with (I think) 3 % below Invoice price (which I think is quite a good deal).
If you end up anywhere from Invoice to 3 % below Invoice - you did good !!
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
349 Posts
In my opinion, if you are ordering one, you are not going to be in position to negotiate price as much down as if you could with the Jeep they have on lot.
First, you should prepare yourself :
1. Know exactly what you want. Then learn what is it that you would like, but can live without. Make yourself a list of everything that you want.
2. Now roll up your sleeves, and Google Invoice pricing for all that you want. There are several sites that will give you Invoice pricing. Jog down these prices next to each and every option that you want (including the Invoice price of the vehicle).
3. You can drop down the pricing but you will have to pay destination fee and taxes. When it comes to taxes (if you trade in something, that could be deducted from your taxes).
Try to find vehicle that you like, with the options that you want, available on the lot.
I found my 2013 Rubicon with every single option that I wanted, except the color. But the color they had, I could live with (black), so I ended up with (I think) 3 % below Invoice price (which I think is quite a good deal).
If you end up anywhere from Invoice to 3 % below Invoice - you did good !!
Hope this helps.
I will find about this hopefully tomorrow (Tuesday)! There is a JKS at another dealership that has all the options but different color that I was hoping for (Black). If they cannot do that one, I am prepared to order, same specs, different color. With Tread Lightly, they told me they would at least honor 1% below, plus $500 Veterans discount (even with order). Another dealership offered invoice minus $915 (plus the Veterans discount of $500 they don't know about yet). It will be interesting if they go for the one at the other dealership to get the sale for the month or just order outright at same price. My concern is if they try to fu€k me 6 weeks down the road with my trade when the order comes in.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
as a separate business negotiation deal, I've always had WAY better results selling my 'trade in' privately than attempting to trade it with any idea of 'getting a good deal'.........

I've been able to get 'good deals' on the purchase of new rigs, but never when figuring a trade-in rig. That 'good deal' evaporates amazingly fast. YMMV though.

·
Registered
349 Posts
as a separate business negotiation deal, I've always had WAY better results selling my 'trade in' privately than attempting to trade it with any idea of 'getting a good deal'.........

I've been able to get 'good deals' on the purchase of new rigs, but never when figuring a trade-in rig. That 'good deal' evaporates amazingly fast. YMMV though.
Indeed. That is usually the case. Good deal on the Vehicle but piss poor on the trade in. It's always the balance game. Unfortunately with private sales, you are held hostage by the market. If someone is looking for your particular vehicle it is good. if not, the wait could be a couple of days to month(s). In this case of the trade, if I don't get what I'm looking for, I say thanks and walk away :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts