Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, i have a huge hole in my gas tank and the only way to fix it is to replace it... does anyone have instructions on how to drop the fuel tank? and will the original sending unit (which if fine, hopefully) be usable on an aftermarket tank? thanks dudes

·
Registered
230 Posts
Mine YJ was 4 bolts rear bumper, 4 bolts thru crossmember, disconnect 3 rubber lines and fish it out. Just be careful with fuel lines. I snapped off one of the tubes going into top of sending unit. Check boneyard or eBay. Many used available.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ive been lookin and cant find a used one.. ill try boneyard, any other tips? and will orig sending unit work w aftrmarket? if i go that route

·
Registered
435 Posts
new isnt cheap, last yj tank i priced out was 400-500...used ones are a lot cheaper. but if you get an aftermarket one for a yj yes the original pump/sending unit will work.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cheapest ive seen is one from "radiators us" for 263... hmmmmm, has anyone done a fuel tank switch on their own?

·
Hacks off Parts while Lit
2,290 Posts
i got mine off jcwhitney iirc. it was direct fit and existing fuel pump etc worked. only gripe is there are no baffles (i think there are in stock tank but not sure) dont recall the price, but i wanna say it was 200 or less. my stocker had a leak from the skid plate bashing it and rubbing. new one is plastic of some type.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea up until 1990 they are cheaper, but for some reason 91-95s are a different fit and impossible to find

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have an extra one in the garage if you want it. it's got a booger on the passenger front side where the exhaust tried to melt it. It's solid with no holes though. It would last for a few years as long as the exhaust isn't shooting on it. Pm me if you want it

·
Registered
230 Posts
Have you tried eBay? I've seen several out there. Also do a google for "yj gas tank on craigslist". This will show results across the country. That is how I found my fuel sending unit for $40 shipped to house. I live in Ohio it came from Maryland.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts