Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know there's a few threads out there but still wanted a quick answer. My gf just got a 4dr with the basic sound system this past Saturday. She is ok with the deck but wants a little bass when she turns it up and sound bar sounds terrible at anything over 20, and that's with bass at half. She will not invest a lot so just looking for the best speakers to out in the sound bar. She said 1 set for there for now and if she was happy, maybe also updgrade the lower dash with same set. I just got one myself about 4 weeks ago and it has the alpine system which to me sounds amazing, and she heard that for 3 weeks prior, so she's even more bothered knowing how good mine sounds. Please help.

·
Registered
10,546 Posts
you can do the plug and play kicker soundbar upgrade and while doing so, put polyfill inside the soundbar.

My soundbar is just for my rear passengers and just barely loud enough for me to hear as my front stage is dedicated to ME.

In the end, it will ultimately come down to $$.

·
Registered
546 Posts
So I know there's a few threads out there but still wanted a quick answer. ....
There is more than a few - there are dozens and dozens of posts on the topic of speakers.

The easiest upgrade is to replace your factory speakers with 6.5" Mopar Kicker upgrade speakers (Kicker model 77kick10) - those speakers are totally plug and play in the Wrangler (no adapters necessary). The price has risen a lot on those recently, but Quadratec still has them at $80 a pair with free shipping:

https://www.quadratec.com/search/77kick10

I have 4 of these Kicker speakers in my JK, and I'm very happy with them.

Reactions: SRM

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I upgraded in increments. Replaced all 8 speakers right away, before I even got home, with Focals. Great speakers but spendy. Made the mistake of wandering into Car Toys' HU room while waiting on the speakers install. The audio was very much improved but couldn't get those HUs vs my stock 130 out of my mind. Went back a week later and picked up the Kenwood 893s. Again, great HU but spendy. The audio took another quantum leap forward as did the HU's capabilities. But the bass was still a little light, so about a week later I picked up a pre-amp and subwoofer with an adjustment knob on my dashboard. Perfect.

Spent more money than maybe I should have, but I plan on keeping this Willys for many years so hopefully I'll still be enjoying the music long after the pain in my wallet is over.

·
Registered
688 Posts
My suggestion would be to replace the HU first, might make those stock speakers sound better with more power. Plus it will give you an output to connect a powered sub to. If she wants better sound the only way to get it is $$$. I tried just replacing the speakers but the upside was minimal. What every speaker needs is watts. The only way to get any bass is with a sub. Even with a new HU and speakers you only touch on the upper bass. If you want good bass--- sub. Tell her sorry for the bad news.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I upgraded in increments. Replaced all 8 speakers right away, before I even got home, with Focals. Great speakers but spendy. Made the mistake of wandering into Car Toys' HU room while waiting on the speakers install. The audio was very much improved but couldn't get those HUs vs my stock 130 out of my mind. Went back a week later and picked up the Kenwood 893s. Again, great HU but spendy. The audio took another quantum leap forward as did the HU's capabilities. But the bass was still a little light, so about a week later I picked up a pre-amp and subwoofer with an adjustment knob on my dashboard. Perfect.

Spent more money than maybe I should have, but I plan on keeping this Willys for many years so hopefully I'll still be enjoying the music long after the pain in my wallet is over.

I can always justify good speakers in my vehicle. I spend a lot of time in there, and I predominantly listen to music

·
Registered
10,546 Posts
@Downing ... same here. I did mine in stages. My jeep came with the alpine speaker upgrade. My family travels to places for our camping trips and many of the areas we go to have no phone reception so I needed a dedicated nav system. I never planned to upgrade my speakers as I was content.
1. Pioneer 6200nex

A couple months later my speakers started to clip at higher volumes so a replacement was in order.
2. Morel Maximo components, Morel Maximo rear fills, and a cheap Logic amp (200 x 4 @4 ohms ... very deceiving numbers)

I fell in love with the Morels right away and a month after the maximo install, I wanted to hear what their mid tier systems can do so I replaced that.
3. Morel Hybrid components

I'm getting rid of my cheap amp and installing a superior amp tomorrow.
4. Arc Audio XDI 600.4

5. planning to replace my oem sub in the future.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I put in some 400upf non-polarized electrolytic caps (bassblockers) on the soundbar to keep the 100hz and down from terrorizing the Kickers I put in there.

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
@Downing ... same here. I did mine in stages. My jeep came with the alpine speaker upgrade. My family travels to places for our camping trips and many of the areas we go to have no phone reception so I needed a dedicated nav system. I never planned to upgrade my speakers as I was content.
1. Pioneer 6200nex

A couple months later my speakers started to clip at higher volumes so a replacement was in order.
2. Morel Maximo components, Morel Maximo rear fills, and a cheap Logic amp (200 x 4 @4 ohms ... very deceiving numbers)

I fell in love with the Morels right away and a month after the maximo install, I wanted to hear what their mid tier systems can do so I replaced that.
3. Morel Hybrid components

I'm getting rid of my cheap amp and installing a superior amp tomorrow.
4. Arc Audio XDI 600.4

5. planning to replace my oem sub in the future.
. When I did my stereo my local high shop told me that the upper level arc amps are great but I was better off with an Alpine pdx-v9 over the arc's entry level xdi line. I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the 2 except the Alpine was $150 cheaper. Alpine is the the shops entry-level offering.

·
Registered
10,546 Posts
@bbortko I don't trust shops anymore. I wanted Morel, they tried to sell me Focals. I wanted the pdx f6, they said Hertz HDP4 is better.

In the end, I chose the XDI because it was recommended by forum members like davidram and basicxj who are both audiophiles. Alpine and zapco were also on my list. In the end, the small footprint and one sided peripheral ports can fit inside the oem amp mount which led me to my decision.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts