Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought a 10' Wrangler Sport 3.8L.
A few days after I got it home I noticed that after I shut the key off, it would run for about 2-3 seconds. Also, the clock would reset to 12:00, but would keep perfect time while it was off... I added a MOPAR cruise control assembly, and it works but my traction control and ESP lights both came on. A few weeks later the weird thing with the ignition and the clock went away at the same time. I just used a Snap-on scanner to try and clear the lights. They clear for a few minutes, but the dang clock and running too long thing both came back.....? Very confused and very lost... only has 33k miles. 6 speed manual.
Please, any help would be appreciated...

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
Pulled from another site on the Internet:

What is happening is; when you shut the ignition off, something, somehow is causing a couple of the cylinders to keep igniting, which in turn keeps the engine running, although "sputtering" pretty badly. This can be caused by excessive carbon build-up in the combustion chambers or on the piston tops which when hot, acts like little glow plugs. This is common on engines that run way too rich or have oil burning problems. Dieseling is a common problem with high compression / high performance engines, especially in warm weather or when the engine is hot. In this case, it is usually caused by running "cheap" gas with inadequate octane. In this case it can usually be remedied by switching to a higher octane fuel.
This usually only happens with carbureted vehicles. I've never heard of it happening with fuel injected vehicles because the fuel injectors should stop all flow of fuel to the cylinders when the ignition is turned off. You could try switching to a higher octane fuel and see if it makes any difference, but I'm guessing it won't. It sounds like you have some kind of electrical issues. You might want to take it to the dealer or your favorite mechanic to have them take a look at your electrical system.

Also, as long as your steering wheel is perfectly straight when driving down the road your traction control and ESP lights should not come on. If your steering wheel is not straight you can adjust it at your drag link turnbuckle.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I knew this might sound stupid, but back when I was on the BMW forums most of these weird issues were caused by the battery. Check the strength and connections

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I knew this might sound stupid, but back when I was on the BMW forums most of these weird issues were caused by the battery. Check the strength and connections
This!!! My BMW battery has caused so many "weird" issues!! My Jeep lights flickered and when I brought it in for a head replacement they found the battery was crap and replaced it under warranty. It fixed the flickering lights. It sounds like you definitely need to have a good mechanic check it out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the advice. It's just weird timing with it coming back the same time I cleared the codes with the Snap-on scanner... I will test the battery!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update...
New battery and still the same issues... any other ideas before I have to replace the ignition module...?
And for the traction control, any other ideas?

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
The only thing those two problems have in common is the steering wheel column where the ignition key, cruise control and clockspring (centered steering wheel). Are you sure you wired everything correctly when you installed the CC. Also, the CC might require programing the PCM/ECU.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Only wiring involved was replacing the horn switches and plugging in the controller. All Mopar parts. I am assuming that may be the problem... Just don't like my local dealer, I know to many people that have been screwed over by Lithia!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts