Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just sent my Warn 8274 case out to be blasted, also sent along the drum. Heres the questions:
1) Could my motor case be blasted or will grit get inside it?
2) Should I just use a heavy duty clear coat or would an epoxy paint work fine for painting the casing and drum? I want to paint it so I was thinking an epoxy paint would work or maybe caliper paint since its a pretty tough paint.
3)What type of oil do i fill the case with i have seen all different answers. I will have a seal kit so i was thinking that I could use some good oil with the lucas additive to help it cling to the gears.
4)I live in Wisconsin and road salt and sand are common is there any precautions I should take?
5)Is a winch cover really worth getting? it seems just like something that will end up magically disappearing.
6) Would it be smart to mount my solenoids in my engine compartment?

Thank you for you opinions and help

·
Registered
224 Posts
1) Yes and no. Depends on the quality of the shop and prep work. A great shop could do it well then you could catch someone on an off day that doesn't properly prep, meaning you could grit in the case.

2) Caliper paint would work. Once again, good prep work!

3) I'd contact Warn directly. I'd use their recommended specs so you could use the warranty, should need be.

4) We live on the beach and a good rinse after long drives work well. Salt is extremely corrosive, just be sure to keep it as clean as possible.

5) Personal preference. I personally don't keep covers due to humidity down here and wind flapping on the highway.

6) If they are mounted in the engine compartment, they do get better environmental protection, just need to make sure they are wired correctly.

Hope this helps!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts