Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out riding around today and thought I maybe had found a steal for my daughter's first vehicle...red Jeep sitting in the front row of the lot as if it were on display... went for a closer look and my heart broke.... she had do not sell clunker tag on the windshield..... I knew what had already been done... may she rest in peace...
View attachment 10749

·
Extremely Humble
11,545 Posts
It's just a YJ.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
It's just a YJ.
As this comment did make me laugh I can not support that persons decision. No jeep should meet this fate! Not even a square eyes! <3

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
after birthday glow
1,963 Posts
but its still the idea who would trade their jeep u would make more by selling it then doing that yup its a sad thing she even looked in good shape

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
i hate that crap, tons of xj's zj's, and even wj's are going, thats the first wrangler, i've seen, how dumb can you get.

i hope they enjoy their new ford focus, especially in about 60,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
You never know
around here the dealers arent
killing them till they get paid
So they can still sell if gov
doesnt pay up

·
Registered
593 Posts
:( thats so sad considering how many parts i need and could use.. Damn

·
Registered
15 Posts
that's the sad thing about that whole program.. there is so much that could be salvaged .. why smash the whole vehicle.. just seize the powertrain up, and allow the rest to be parted out.. not just Jeeps, but many vehicles could benefit from the used parts that could go on the market...there are only a few items that the program allows to be salvaged.. it's sickening..

·
Registered
258 Posts
Its sad to see what they are doing to all these vehicles, and a great loss. The dealers once they get them CANNOT even take parts off of the cars. I found one here in Savannah that the guy was at least trying to sell anything off his jeep before he takes to trade it in as a clunker. I sure wish he would email me soon so I can get whatever someone here might need.

·
Extremely Humble
11,545 Posts
The salvage yards can part out (sell) everything on that Jeep except the motor and transmission before it's scrapped. You could buy every piece of sheet metal, the axles, all of the interior and even the frame.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
The salvage yards can part out (sell) everything on that Jeep except the motor and transmission before it's scrapped. You could buy every piece of sheet metal, the axles, all of the interior and even the frame.
I thought the engines and transmissions is where most of their money comes from on scrap deals...

·
after birthday glow
1,963 Posts
well yes and no the drive train is the heaviest things usually but a good chassis will still bring some good cash or it would before scrape went down

·
Administrator
12,548 Posts
I look at the whole program much like the low housing rates given to anyone a few years back, and we know where that got us. I am sure there are a ton of folks out there who could not way afford a new car with out this, who shouldn't be buying a new car. Thus I am sure in the next 12-24 months we will see a ton of defaults. Do we ever learn...

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
hello my new aarp card

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
I look at the whole program much like the low housing rates given to anyone a few years back, and we know where that got us. I am sure there are a ton of folks out there who could not way afford a new car with out this, who shouldn't be buying a new car. Thus I am sure in the next 12-24 months we will see a ton of defaults. Do we ever learn...
i agree.

and as far as parting them out, i've talked with some people in the biz. there's a couple things happening, first there's an over abundance of vehicles all the sudden, they don't have the man power, time and money to part them out properly, second the price of scrap on these things went up a little, and the parts price went down a little. so with that combo, more cars are going to the crusher than we'd like to see.

·
Extremely Humble
11,545 Posts
I thought the engines and transmissions is where most of their money comes from on scrap deals...
It is but keep in mind that they can still part out the car (or Jeep in this instance). Someone could buy that YJ, minus the drivetrain, and build it. Besides, if someone wanted an old Jeep to build wouldn't you scrap all that old drivetrain anyway?

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
It is but keep in mind that they can still part out the car (or Jeep in this instance). Someone could buy that YJ, minus the drivetrain, and build it. Besides, if someone wanted an old Jeep to build wouldn't you scrap all that old drivetrain anyway?
I hate you when your right scout.

:bottom:

·
delicate %$^&*@ flower
14,751 Posts
Cash for clunkers is creating a bubble, regardless of what's happening to the vehicles. The incentives given are short term and have caused the auto makers to bump up their production because of the sudden demand. Unfortunately when this short term program ends (which I believe it does today), it will leave the dealers and manufacturers with an abundance of cars while the country is still reeling from an instable economy. People will stop purchasing.... bla bla bla. Sorry. Preachin' to the choir.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts