Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi so I'm looking to do a complete exhaust revamp. To my understanding the exhaust is composed of the headers, a midpipe(cant seem to find any aftermarket midpipes???) the muffler and tailpipe. Can someone aware me on this because I'm looking to replace all the exhaust components

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Oops you're right it's a 1999 4.0L 5 speed 2dr
you should have to a 6-into-1 header looking exhaust manifold, these are known to crack. This goes most of the way down the engine and comes into a flange, wraps around the front of the oil pan sump and then mates up with the catalytic converter. behind the cat is the muffler and tailpipe on the passenger side.

shop summit racing and rockauto for replacement parts. Walker Exhaust is a good OEM replacement type.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I went with Pacesetter headers 2 new O2 sensors , MagnaFlow high flow catalytic converter , and a Magnaflow performance exhaust. All with two and a half inch stainless steel piping. And of course you're going to have to add a stage K&N cold air intake

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Stage 2 intake by Canaan and installed. I've been asked if I have a supercharger in it by the sound of the whistle as well as if there was a V8 stuffed in it the way the low Rumble and Grumble of my setup. Burps and farts when downshifting to sounds like it's got a gnarly cam in it but it doesn't. I've had lots of other Jeep owners ask me what my setup was because they love the sound. I love the performance I get out of it as well. Shipped it out as well with ignition and an Optima Red Top battery to top things off

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Stage 2 intake by Canaan and installed. I've been asked if I have a supercharger in it by the sound of the whistle as well as if there was a V8 stuffed in it the way the low Rumble and Grumble of my setup. Burps and farts when downshifting to sounds like it's got a gnarly cam in it but it doesn't. I've had lots of other Jeep owners ask me what my setup was because they love the sound. I love the performance I get out of it as well. Shipped it out as well with ignition and an Optima Red Top battery to top things off Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Whistles: -1
Burps and farts (after fire): -2
Performance increase claimed: -2
Optima red top (or any other color honestly): -3
You like the sound: +1

Total on the 0-10 scale: -7

However, to each their own I reckon. Glad you like your setup. What was wrong with the factory ignition exactly and how did your replacement improve the situation?

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Whistles: -1
Burps and farts (after fire): -2
Performance increase claimed: -2
Optima red top (or any other color honestly): -3
You like the sound: +1

Total on the 0-10 scale: -7

However, to each their own I reckon. Glad you like your setup. What was wrong with the factory ignition exactly and how did your replacement improve the situation?
LOL I would score it similar, but the fine particles the K&N is going to let by is another -1 or -2.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Stage 2 intake by Canaan and installed. I've been asked if I have a supercharger in it by the sound of the whistle as well as if there was a V8 stuffed in it the way the low Rumble and Grumble of my setup. Burps and farts when downshifting to sounds like it's got a gnarly cam in it but it doesn't. I've had lots of other Jeep owners ask me what my setup was because they love the sound. I love the performance I get out of it as well. Shipped it out as well with ignition and an Optima Red Top battery to top things off
You clearly believe the marketing hype without question. You're the type that buys the new performance diesel spark plugs and muffler bearings from the same shiny catalog.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
wow really

really, K&N filters have shown detrimental effects...they let fine particles through and into the engine, which increases the silica content in the oil (aka. abrasive in your oil). That's not a big deal on a race track when the engine is rebuild regularly, but not desirable at all for an off road vehicle that ingests dust as a matter of life. In addition, many so called cold air intakes have actually shown hotter intake air temperatures vs stock on the TJ. The whistle, burps and farts are air turbulence, which leads to a performance drop, and it's exceedingly annoying. Been there done that.

The red top batteries are generally regarded as undesirable within the past few years...after they moved production to Mexico, the quality went bad quick. I've personally seen 3 brand new red tops die within less than a year on a pickup that did nothing but go from A to B.

A Jeep's exhaust should be quiet - nothing worse than being awaken at 6am on a pleasant camping trip to some moron romping on their loud exhaust. Best of all, the 4.0L's head & valvetrain flow so little, it doesn't even know the difference from a wide open exhaust or a stock muffler...in other words, neither the stock exhaust nor the stock intake are a restriction. Any mods just make noise, and that's it...no worthwhile performance gains...

·
Registered
346 Posts
I think I just had deja vu and am on the 5.0L Mustang forums. :lmao: Sound like you want a drag racer, not a Jeep. K&N air filters, big exhaust AND a supercharger and even the red top battery (which died in less than 2 years) It all takes me back 20 years. ;)

I agree, most of the above is a waste. Why would you change the ignition and run such a big exhaust unless you WERE running a supercharger? Putting on an air intake does nothing at all but mess things up as your stock sensors try and compensate for the extra air. It's like those ridiculous "performance chips" that people live to plug in and supposedly gain horsepower. It's a waste of $$.

It's like when people bolt on a huge exhaust pipe just to make noise and "sound" good. All it does is annoy people. Those who DO have a built up engine that NEEDS a bigger, less restrictive exhaust system take great amusement in people who do stuff like bolt on useless things to their relatively stock engine. It's much cheaper to just shoot a hole in your muffler ;)

And the K&N air filter is a great on a race car. I used it on mine for years. My Jeep runs a generic stock type one that I change often because dirt/dust is a bad thing and you don't want that in your engine if you drive your Jeep like a Jeep.

I was actually looking at my stock exhaust, which serves me quite well. I've changed the plugs and 02 sensors this past year and my muffler looks pretty good for an 11 year old muffler with 72k miles on it and many northeastern winters. How long does the stock muffler last? I changed the exhaust on my sports cars so often that I'm not used to stock things lasting this long. I figure there HAS to be SOMETHING wrong. But if it ain't broke, why fix it?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
So I would replace the headers, the cat the muffler and tailpipe if i wanted to make it like new basically
Did yours rust through all the way down? The magnaflow cats are good, but unless you want to spend a bunch on "sound" I'd get an exhaust manifold with the flex joint, the magnaflow cat(s), and/or take it to a reputable local exhaust shop and have them do it up.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.