Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What am I paying for? My original idea was to make my own switch panel out of otrattw switches and wire them up to my lights. Why should I go with spod? I want the best but if it's just a waste of money il wire myself. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
304 Posts
The SPOD has relays and fused circuits for all inputs. Instead of installing a relay for every accessory you install, it places them all together in one neat contained unit. It's high quality and wired correctly so you don't have to worry about cooking a wire under your hood.

For lights etc you need a switch and a relay and a fuse. The spod contains everything. So to wire accessories you just plug into the spod.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Or you could get a Bussmann Block with 5 relays/fuses from Wired Wagon and use the OTRATTW switches. A full setup cost less than $200 for everything. You just have to wire it all together.

·
Registered
807 Posts
What am I paying for? My original idea was to make my own switch panel out of otrattw switches and wire them up to my lights. Why should I go with spod? I want the best but if it's just a waste of money il wire myself. Thanks in advance
All it is is everything is pre-wired for you. Once sPod is installed, any electrical accessories just need to be hook up to the junction under the hood. If you know how to wire up a relay will save you lots of money.

☞Sent from here☜

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
It's currently the most OEM like accessory wiring system available. The new one shown above by KJeeper10 looks similar in quality and price. OEM and OEM like gear always carries a premium. It just depends on what you are looking, whether its worth it or not.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let's take the Eyourlife 50 inch light bar I posted over in the general discussion forum for example. If I bought that, I would still need to buy wires and wire it as normal though? Wire it from the battery to to the sPod to the switch and then to the light, not to mention grounding the switch. I don't understand what steps the sPod is eliminating there.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Let's take the Eyourlife 50 inch light bar I posted over in the general discussion forum for example. If I bought that, I would still need to buy wires and wire it as normal though? Wire it from the battery to to the sPod to the switch and then to the light, not to mention grounding the switch. I don't understand what steps the sPod is eliminating there.
I don't have 50" led light bar, but i installed Rigids D2 on A pillar using sPod. Once you install sPod, it will be already powered directly to a battery. Any new accessories (lights, pump, lockers, etc) will need to be wired to the sPod in one of the six switch locations. Once you do that you will be able to turn on/off using switches inside.

To answer your question regarding 50" led light bar- all you will need is extra12 gauge wire to bring it to the sPod. Because chinese knock off led companies don't supply with wiring like rigid does. You can grab that wire at local hardware store.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't have 50" led light bar, but i installed Rigids D2 on A pillar using sPod. Once you install sPod, it will be already powered directly to a battery. Any new accessories (lights, pump, lockers, etc) will need to be wired to the sPod in one of the six switch locations. Once you do that you will be able to turn on/off using switches inside. To answer your question regarding 50" led light bar- all you will need is extra12 gauge wire to bring it to the sPod. Because chinese knock off led companies don't supply with wiring like rigid does. You can grab that wire at local hardware store.
So you are saying once the sPod is all wired up, all I have to do is bring down the positive and negative wire from say the 50 inch and plug it into the sPod. Everything else is done?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Expensive, but worth it. Aluminum panel is nice and in a nice location. sPOD itself mounts up nice. Wiring is really good. PCB based with fuse holders and relays. Low voltage cutoff. Diodes. Includes nice connection ends along with shrink wrap. Can't run a super huge amount of power through it, so you may still have to tap into the battery for high amperage connections, but you still switch everything through the pod.

Between doing something of similar quality and the pod, I'd say go with the pod.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That video sold me, love the system but il probably end up fabbing up something to mount it somewhere else. Thank you everyone.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
That video sold me, love the system but il probably end up fabbing up something to mount it somewhere else. Thank you everyone.
You won't regret It, I was on the fence about it but after I pulled the trigger and installed my sPod I was glad I did it! It makes everything easy and keeps things in a very neat package both inside the cab and under the hood! Very nice product

·
Registered
610 Posts
Plus you can put cool little switches on it :tomatoes:

·
Registered
2,330 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
For those of you who have an sPOD, would you still use one if you were only going to use 3 or 4 of the 6 switches?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts