Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dipstick. Please. The entire metal part... from the tip to the bottom of the yellow. I was changing the oil today (I6 engine) and following specs given by Advance Auto and in my Haynes... Adv Auto says 5 qts and my Haynes says both 5 and 6 qts in different places. I added 5, let sit and ran for a few mins as instructed in the manual, then let sit for 15-20 mins and checked. There was about 1/4 in of oil on the very bottom of the dipstick (no, it is not leaking from anywhere). I added an additional qt, following same procedure as earlier and checked again... exact same amount of oil showing on the dipstick. To say I'm confused is an understatement, and having the wrong dipstick is the only thing else I can think of. Any help would be great. Thanks.

-Cody

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
The wife drives the rubi to work everyday, it is not here. I was also trying to remember how many quarts of oil our 04 uses. I can't remember if it is 5 or 6 quarts. And to think that I am the one that takes it in for every service. Do you have a local dealership that could possibly answer your question? With out knowing what year your Jeep is, it is hard to say. Also, I would think that your owners manual would tell you. If you could find another Jeep, the same year as yours, you could compare dipsticks. Just found a reciept from the lube shop, it says they put in 6qts.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
YJ's at home and I'm at work. I want to say I run 5 qts in my 1994 4.0L????

I pulled this from another site to add to the confusion.....

Factory recommended weight: Above 0°F/-18°C - 10W30, Below 60°F/16°C - 5W30

Capacity: 2.5L 4 Cylinder - 4 quarts (3.8 liters), 4.0 Inline 6 Cylinder - 6 quarts (5.7 liters).

How about going down to the dealer?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No parts store here can get the dipstick, the only dealership here has a dipstick in a warehouse in Milwaukee that doesn't have a phone apparantly. The tech at Jeep did not know, nor could not find the oil capacity. He told me, and I quote: "Our techs pretty much look at the size of the oil pan and guess. We'll just add 4-5 qts then just dip then add, dip then add, etc." I love living in Kansas.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Do you have a 4.0 or the 4.2? We need to know this so we can get you the correct information.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts