Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I bought a 04 tj rubicon that was owned by a farmer in MN. His son smashed into the jeep with a tractor and... 4 years later I bought it. I had already checked the VIN in the window and it was clean but I'm kinda nervous. What if it did have a past? Anyone know where the "hidden" VIN's are on a TJ without me having to tear it apart?

I bought it for an axle swap and was going to go through it anyway but if anything on it is stolen I would like to just avoid the whole mess and look elsewhere.

Can anyone help?!

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
The engine block should have a serial on it. That's pretty much the only other identification I can think of.

You could contact your local Police department if you're really worried. Show them all your forms of purchase, and clearly state what you think might be wrong. This could lead to more problems, so that's up to you. I'd take care of it soon though.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the quick reply Mike.

Doesn't the Tranny have the VIN too?

A friend told me there might be one on the rear passenger side frame rail as well. Anyone confirm?

Come daylight I'm going to look that thing over...

this would seriously suck though, cost me $300 just to get it from MN alone. :(

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
To be honest, I'm not sure. I only know about the engine serial. Hope everything works out, and keep posting. Good info could come of this for anyone wondering the same.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been a victim twice from car thieves (ok, one was a motorcycle but it still hurt) and I don't wish theft on anyone. Its one of the worst feelings I've ever had and the memory of standing in the parking lot is still as vivid today as it was when it happened.

As stoked as I am about the axle swap, I would just as soon get it back to the rightful owner than do anything else with it. So my axle project is on hold for the mean time... :(

·
Registered
871 Posts
what ever gave you the idea that it might be hot? was the price "too good to be true"?
not to be a jerk, but you sound either paranoid, or like you "know" something's wrong and are covering for someone, or have a guilty conscience.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
what ever gave you the idea that it might be hot? was the price "too good to be true"?
not to be a jerk, but you sound either paranoid, or like you "know" something's wrong and are covering for someone, or have a guilty conscience.
Really man...:9lame:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Paranoid? After what happened to me twice? Yeah, I am. Anytime I hear something might be "hot" I get a little pissed. I don't know if somethings wrong and I'm not sure how I would be covering for anyone and my ethics leave me a clear conscience and I'd like them to stay that way.

A family member from back home (MN is where I'm from and how I found the jeep) told me that the kid who hit the jeep with the tractor had been busted with GTA. He warned me that it might be stolen or have stolen parts. However the jeep was titled/registed to his father from whom I bought it from.

I just want to be careful and compare the VIN's so I can rest easy is all. The only one's I'm aware of are the window vin and the one on the door frame.

I was hoping the engine might have one and if it matches the window one I will feel a little better to be sure.

Thanks for the help guys! any more ideas please let me know!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Really man...:9lame:
No biggie Mike, I don't blame the guy for asking. I always thought that cars were stolen like they are in the movies (give me a break, I'm from a farm). Professional thief, taken to a chop shop and a half hour later is totally gone.

My bike was stolen by a kid (then 14) who knew how to pop the ignition out and took off with my pride and joy. It was recovered 6 months later after the kid wrecked it on a curb and broke his leg (!). Thing is, I doubt he got his knowledge off the internet. I'm sure it was just who his friends were and what he wanted to do with his life where he learned how to do it.

If I went ahead with my axle swap I'm sure I would run across the VIN's anyway, I just want to save myself the headache that if I did that I would have to put it back together. I just want a heads up in case something doesn't jive I can deal with it now rather than later.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been told there is one under the drivers seat on the tub. Cool, I'll have to check these in the a.m.!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To put a happy ending to this thread, the VINs all match. Thanks for the help Mike.

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
Well I'm glad to hear that everything is ok with it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I'm glad to hear that everything is ok with it.
Yeah, I was a bit worried. I've been wanting to do an axle swap for a long time but was ready to put it off longer if I had to. So pleased that I don't! d44's coming to my Sport soon! :)

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Last year I bought a 04 tj rubicon that was owned by a farmer in MN. His son smashed into the jeep with a tractor and... 4 years later I bought it. I had already checked the VIN in the window and it was clean but I'm kinda nervous. What if it did have a past? Anyone know where the "hidden" VIN's are on a TJ without me having to tear it apart?

I bought it for an axle swap and was going to go through it anyway but if anything on it is stolen I would like to just avoid the whole mess and look elsewhere.

Can anyone help?!
How does this person know your Jeep may have been stolen?I understand your concern... but just because #'s don't match (if you find that out), it still doesn't mean it's stolen.

·
Registered
58 Posts
A family member from back home (MN is where I'm from and how I found the jeep) told me that the kid who hit the jeep with the tractor had been busted with GTA. He warned me that it might be stolen or have stolen parts. However the jeep was titled/registed to his father from whom I bought it from.
Just for the record, people who are into car theft aren't about to drive around stolen vehicles or use stolen parts on their own car. They only steal cars and parts to sell, and then "legitimately" purchase parts... Unless they are THAT methed out.

EDIT: I guess I should add that I am not a car thief. I have just dealt with attempted recovery, and sadly known some shady people that took the low road in life after I met them.

·
Registered
203 Posts
call your local police station and have them run a stolen vehicle check if your really worried about it. If it turns out to be stolen, dont admit that its in your possession, only that your were told about its existence by an acquaintance and wanted to look it up, and go from there.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How does this person know your Jeep may have been stolen?I understand your concern... but just because #'s don't match (if you find that out), it still doesn't mean it's stolen.
Was just being overly cautious. Since the kid was busted with GTA, it could have had the possibility of having hot parts. I just wanted to make sure is all. You just can't tell this day and age. I just wanted to make sure for my own sake that I had taken part (even unknowingly) in a crime I have been a victim of myself, and I wouldn't wish that on anybody. The thought of working in the middle of my axle swap and wondering if it, or any part of it was stolen would have been more of a burden than I would have wanted.

I did have the local police run it and look it over. They were able to verify that the VINs matched. So I'm confident going into the axle swap that I have a legal purchase and am looking forward to the upgrade!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I work in law enforcement and can tell you there are many different scenarios concerning stolen vehicles and parts. I can tell you that all vehicles have a series of confidential VIN numbers on them. The numbers are located in several different locations on a vehicle. Each make and model is different and we (law enforcement) don't have direct access to them. We have to contact the national insurance crime bureau (NCIB) with the make and model of the vehicle. They will then give us locations of the VIN numbers. If you think this is voodoo Google NCIB confidential VIN.
Now just because the numbers on your jeep don't come back as stolen doesn't mean you don't have an issue. All of the time people steal a vehicle and remove the VIN tags. They will then go to a junk yard and steal VIN tags from a junked jeep and apply it to the stolen vehicle. This is usually not an issue until you have a wreck or have to make an insurance claim. The police check will only show if the vehicle ( your VIN number) is stolen or not. Once an insurance claim is made and the insurance company checks the VIN number they will know that the vehicle has already been totaled out and weather or not a salvage title was ever issued. We get calls from insurance companies several times a year telling us to do a confidential VIN check on a vehicle that has be re tagged.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts