Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dealership can’t service my vehicle until Monday so I’m hoping to get some answers here.
What kind of fluid is leaking under my Jeep?
Is it safe to drive to a dealer or should I get it towed there?
Is it covered by extended warranty?
2018 Willys JKU
38,800 miles
Tire Automotive parking light Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
974 Posts
Hard to tell from the pic. Looks like it's starting up front and blowing back. What does it smell like? Looks thinner than oil but I am somewhat color blind/ old and on the phone-lol

How far is the dealer and have you checked various fluid levels?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2006 TJ Rubicon, 4.0, automatic
3,123 Posts
Looks brown so my shot would be oil. As stated above, check your fluid levels. All just to be safe. As far as the coverage, that is a very hard question to answer. There are several variables that go into play.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hard to tell from the pic. Looks like it's starting up front and blowing back. What does it smell like?
Looks thinner than oil but I am somewhat color blind/ old and on the phone-lol

Hard to tell from the pic. Looks like it's starting up front and blowing back. What does it smell like?
Looks thinner than oil but I am somewhat color blind/ old and on the phone-lol

Hard to tell from the pic. Looks like it's starting up front and blowing back. What does it smell like? Looks thinner than oil but I am somewhat color blind/ old and on the phone-lol

The only way I can describe it is a burning smell when I start it up.🤷🏽‍♀️
I didn’t touch/smell the leakage while under the vehicle. I was only able to take a few photos.
The dealer is 45 minutes away. There’s one 15 minutes away but I’ve heard their service isn’t great. I haven’t checked all the fluid levels but I will do that tomorrow. Oil is at 73%. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
3,123 Posts
What do you mean 73%? Is that the oil life according to the computer or fill level?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks brown so my shot would be oil. As stated above, check your fluid levels. All just to be safe. As far as the coverage, that is a very hard question to answer. There are several variables that go into play.
I will check fluid levels tomorrow. It’s already dark out. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
3,123 Posts
FYI That’s just the oil life. The computer takes mileage and time to calculate the oil life. It doesn’t mean that’s the amount you have.

Checking the level would be the first thing you should do in the morning. Definitely don’t want to drive it on low oil or trans fluid.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That looks very much like Oil. Being so far back like that it's more than likely the Oil cooler that sits between the V of the motor. Stupid plastic mounted part that cracks and leaks oil, coolant or both.

My wife's went on her 2013, first it blew only coolant and almost overheated. Replacement failed almost immediately and would leak oil, just like yours especially under heavy load or high RPM. 2nd replacement seems to be holding. The fact that the leak is in the V of the motor and the angle of the motor itself means it seems to leak from the gearbox area behind the motor.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That looks very much like Oil. Being so far back like that it's more than likely the Oil cooler that sits between the V of the motor. Stupid plastic mounted part that cracks and leaks oil, coolant or both.

My wife's went on her 2013, first it blew only coolant and almost overheated. Replacement failed almost immediately and would leak oil, just like yours especially under heavy load or high RPM. 2nd replacement seems to be holding. The fact that the leak is in the V of the motor and the angle of the motor itself means it seems to leak from the gearbox area behind the motor.
I’m pretty sure that’s the issue. Mine was leaking coolant at first, so I was confused when I saw the brown fluid too. But it all makes sense now. Was the replacement covered under warranty?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Just checked my extended warranty plan and the engine oil cooler is covered. Hopefully that's the only issue and is a relatively simple fix. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Get a flashlight and look into the valley (top of the motor near below where the oil filter goes). If you see oil there, it's the cooler. Yes, it will smell when running. Check oil level, I'd take it to the local dealer. Not a hard fix, hopefully there's no backorder on parts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts