Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My TJ has something vibrating in the engine compartment. Its been doing it for over a year now. Been doing a lot of work lately and its starting to get on my nerves. Just now I was outside listening for it. I stated up front and it sounded like it was coming from the fan area. I checked there and nothing. Then I went to the passenger side and it was coming from the driver side. I checked over there and it was coming from the passenger side. I am seriously questioning my sanity at the moment. Anyone have any solutions from experience? It only vibrates when it not moving.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Maybe your hood prop, I took mine off.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
With the motor running, look at the harmonic balancer and see if it's wobbling. With motor off, grab the fan and see if the water pump shaft is wobbling around or if the fan clutch has a wobble in it. Next, take the belt off and spin all the pulleys and see if anything is making noise or wobbling.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Everything looks ok except the fan. I was able to make it move back and forth (from the front, grabbing the top and pulling it towards me) roughly an 1/8 of an inch each way. Could this be the culprit. I hear the noise the best when I standing right in front of the fan.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Look under your jeep while idling at the harmonic balancer. There should be no wobble from it and the rubber gasket not oozing out on it. I just replaced mine after I thought it was the water pump, then fan clutch but the HB was the culprit. I had a slight wobble with a irritating noise that came and went. You can see the off alignment on the old HB between the 2 pieces. Worth a look besides the WE and clutch.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Everything looks ok except the fan. I was able to make it move back and forth (from the front, grabbing the top and pulling it towards me) roughly an 1/8 of an inch each way. Could this be the culprit. I hear the noise the best when I standing right in front of the fan.
May not be the culprit but needs to be fixed. Try to determine if the play is in the water pump or fan clutch, and then replace the appropriate component. Also make sure there are no fractures or pieces missing from your fan.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts