Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to diagnose a new sound/feel, literally gives the impression someone is under the jeep knocking on the floor board & I can feel it through the floor and the pedals. It happens accelerating and slowing, & also when I pop it out of gear & coast. I read some other threads here & checked the control arms, transfer case linkage & shock mounts & they all seem tight. In addition there’s the distinct sound of a nut rolling around on bare metal, it’s very loud & at first I thought I dropped a nut & it was rolling around under my seat but I’ve search high & low & can’t find anything, it sounds like it could even be rolling around inside the frame rail. I did a tc drop months ago & removed it a couple weeks ago in favor of a sye. From what I’ve read the most likely culprit would be the linkage but I pulled on every part of it & it’s solid. I just don’t know what I’m missing?

·
Registered
787 Posts
when I replaced the front u-joint on front drive shaft, I found several items that I had lost when replacing my engine. still can't figure how they ended there. what you got rolling around?

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Are the bolts to the linkage tight that bolt thru the floor on the transmission tunnel?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are the bolts to the linkage tight that bolt thru the floor on the transmission tunnel?
Of that I'm not sure, I checked the linkage that is actually visible from underneath the Jeep on the side of the transfer case. How would I access the transmission tunnel?

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Of that I'm not sure, I checked the linkage that is actually visible from underneath the Jeep on the side of the transfer case. How would I access the transmission tunnel?
Underneath near the linkage, on the tunnel, you should see the 4 bolts that hold the bracket on.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Transfer case linkage is my guess.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Underneath near the linkage, on the tunnel, you should see the 4 bolts that hold the bracket on.
Earlier today I took a ride & it immediately began knocking, I pulled the lever up about 1/2 inch towards 4-hi & put a little lateral pressure on it & was able to stop the knocking; let go & it returned. Repeated this a bunch of times until I was sure I was manipulating it & it wasn't just coincidence so now I'm sure it is in fact the linkage. Wanted to make sure everything was working so I popped it into 4-hi then lo then 2-hi, also repeated this a couple times. Oddly after doing that the knocking vanished. Drove it another 20 miles up & down through all the gears & nothing.

I'll be looking at the bolts holding the bracket on tomorrow to be sure. The sound of the nut rolling around in my frame also vanished, wondering now if that was unrelated, or my Jeep is haunted.

Thank you for the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts