Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 TJ and something is making a very loud squeaking noise. I have replaced the alternator and the water pump and neither were the problem. ANyone have any ideas hotw to isolate the squeak or any experiences out there with the same problem? It's driving me crazy

·
Registered
15,648 Posts
Probably the belt

Try pouring some clear water on belt while it is squeezing and see if noise changes as that would prove where it is coming from

Be careful as belts and fans are real hard on fingers

If it is a belt typically worse on cold startup before belt heats and softens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
532 Posts
Go to harbor freight and buy a mechanics stethoscope. There cheap and work great for finding the source of noises. A long screw driver works OK, but the other is better. Idler pulley or tensioner pulley bearings are pretty common for going south as well.

·
Super Moderator
12,668 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Mykidtookmyjeep,

If you use the stethoscope with the Jeep running, be careful not to get any clothing, body parts or long hair (if any) caught up in the belt or fan.
Spending time doing diagnostics is cheaper than simply guessing. The above posts have some good advice about how to locate your noise.

You might find a Factory Service Manual by Googling "Bishko Books".

Good Luck, L.M.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts