Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All;

In my never ending quest to learn more about my Jeep I stumbled across this "throttle re-calibration" procedure. Here it is cut/paste from another site:

Step 1: Turn the Jeep to the “on” position but not the engine running position.
Step 2: Wait for all of the dummy lights to turn off (check engine light will stay on).
Step 3: Depress the accelerator REALLY slowly…Driving Miss Daisy with a touch of Cocoon slowly…all the way to the floor.
Step 4: Release the accelerator at the same excruciatingly slow rate.
Step 5: Turn Jeep off.
Step 6: Start engine.
Step 7: Take it on a test drive.

OK, a fair number of people have called BS on this. BUT there may be some validity to the concept. It's not unusual for fly-by-wire stuff to need a full range of motion reset. Heck, Mercedes has something similar for their power windows and sunroofs if they aren't opening/closing right; as well as a procedure for the throttle. So I thought what the hell, it's free, easy, quick and what could possibly go wrong?

Gave it a try. Ummmm... it actually did SOMETHING!! Since I got my Jeep a few months ago it has had a frustrating characteristic that persisted even after I did a big service. It was very tough to "feather" the throttle when initially letting out the clutch - almost like it was very non-responsive, had a big flat spot or "dead zone" in the throttle action under those conditions. Rest of the time, it was pretty OK.

I've driven manuals all my life, can sort of figure out if a vehicle has a nice clutch/engagement action and throttle response. But this thing had me looking like a real newb. I'd stall it at intersections, have to use initially more revs than I thought was appropriate, and was really kind of a pig in stop and go traffic. AFTER doing the above "throttle re-calibration" suddenly I'm able to feather the gas when letting out the clutch, no bog or flat spot. Yeah, THIS is more like it! That simple improvement really changed my enjoyment level of driving this thing. There IS a bit of improvement in throttle response (1st gear, clutch out, very low speed) and is overall more linear and more like an "old school" mechanical throttle linkage.

Now, I'm not endorsing this... or screaming "I've seen the light" or anything. Not even sure exactly what this procedure changes - for all I know it's actually resetting a fuel map, injector dwell, or something other than the throttle. But I can state that it DID make a tangible, noticeable, improvement and resolved a peeve I was having with my Jeep. Your results may vary.

So there, I'm passing on my experiance with this little experiment and it's results to the collective (of course, maybe ya'all already knew this and I'm the last to learn it)!

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
For some it works and some it doesn’t. Worked with my old Jeep not my new one.
I recently purchased a throttle programmer and that works better for smoothing out the throttle response. With different settings you can Taylor it to your driving style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I have done this on 4 wranglers all 3.6 2013, 2014, 2016 and 2018 it works/worked on all and I do it every month or so.

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
I have done this on 4 wranglers all 3.6 2013, 2014, 2016 and 2018 it works/worked on all and I do it every month or so.
Same here. Computer learns your driving style and adapts to the way It expects you to drive. If I don't do this every so often I start to get a delayed response to pedal movement and I'm driving an automatic. With a stick I can see just how crappy this would become.

BTW I always do it just before stepping off-road.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I usually perform this procedure after disconnecting the battery. At WOT i would hold it until CEL will blink a few times (JKU 18). I don’t depress the accelerator "really slowly" just "as usually".
I would do it a few times until CEL wont blink anymore.
If not performed nothing bad will happen, the throttle will "relearn itself" after a while.
I doubt that this "calibration" works if the battery wasn't disconnected and "memory" erased.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts