Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , I'm new here but was hoping for some help . 1992 2.5 . The problem started a couple weeks ago . Driving down the road it started to bog down but went away for a couple days . Then I started it one morning and had a rough idle , stalled and wouldn't start for around an hour . Now it will idle fine but will stall out and won't restart for a couple hours . When cranking it does have spark . Stuff I've done is install rebuilt motor , new distributor and cap , replaced CPS and tested TPS . I will not fire on quick start . I'm thinking fuel filter ? When it runs it runs great . Fuel pump seems to be working . Help please .

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Test for fuel pressure. Buy a kit for cheap at Harbor Freight or rent at Autozone. YouTube it. Don't forget to let it stall by pulling the fuel pump relay before attaching and reattaching the gauge. There is a little schrader valve on the fuel rail that you attach to like a tire gauge.

You should test for pressure with the fuel pump primed (key on without starting), with the engine running, then 5-10 minutes after shutting down the engine and fuel pump (leak test).

You want the primed and idle pressures to be close, and hold pressure for the leak test. 31 psi is the spec for fuel pressure at idle.

Low fuel pressure could be an electrical issue on the way to the fuel pump, a bad pump, or a clogged line or fuel filter. Replace the fuel filter first, then test pressure again. Then comes pump power from the fuse box back. If you have a clean filter and power to the pump, then it's time for a new pump. Make sure you hear it prime when you turn the key to on.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks mud , ill try it this weekend . its to the point i cant drive it . good idle but cant throttle without rough running or stall out . i liken the problem to the timing being out or engine choking .

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Changed fuel filter . Also found a slight bend in the fuel line . I've had the motor and trans in and out several times over the year and think that may have caused the bend in the line . Running great now . Going to drive it and hope that was the problem . Could hardley blow air thru the old filter .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts