Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a couple other threads on the matter but was wondering if anyone would have some new input on this:

I have a 4cyl, manual trans TJ, that at times while stopped at a red light, or where ever, the transmission refuses to go into gear. There is no grinding, or hesitation, it's just like a brick wall. After about 10 or 15 seconds of light, back and forth cajoling, it usually slips into 4th, then allows me to move it to 1st. My first suspicion was the hydraulic clutch, so I replaced the slave cylinder. The boot was torn on the slave cylinder, and it was making a high pitched squeak when I pushed in the clutch, so I thought this might be it (perhaps it wasn't releasing the clutch enough to allow me to put it into gear from neutral). But upon the first drive with the new slave cylinder, the transmission did it again. Is there some common problem that occurs with these transmissions? I didn't think it was a synchro or anything because it won't let me put it into ANY gear when it's acting up. Perhaps I need new gear oil in the trans? If the trans mount is shot, will that stop the jeep from going into gear? Say, if I'm on a slight up or down hill and I don't notice it, but it's enough to throw off the drive line geometry?

Thanks in advance for any input!

·
Registered
33 Posts
you wouldn't happen to hold the clutch down both approaching and at a red light would you? as opposed to putting it in neutral and not using the clutch until you need it in gear. try taking you're foot off the clutch in neutral for a second when this happens, re-clutch and it and wait 3 seconds and put it in gear. it should slide right in. if this does not work start with fluid

the other causes are;
1. low/dirty/contaminated trans fluid,
2. bad shift linkages,
3. clutch release bearing,
4. bad striking rod,
5. sticking/jamming gears.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts