Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fortunate enough to have a Jeep, and unfortunate to be complete idiot when it comes to mechanics.
That being said, here are my (somewhat) idiotic questions :
If I change rims and Tires on my 2013 Ruby, what's the story with TPM's ?
They stay ?
Same goes if I change the wheel. Say I am going to rotate my wheels. Do I have to pay attention to TPM ?
Winter - Summer tires ? TPM ?
Sorry for idiotic questions.

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
TMPS is Tire monitor pressure system ti lets you know when your tire pressure is to low. If you dont use the old ones or buy new ones your TMPS light will stay on in your jeep. But dont worry it wont hurt anything and if your going to airdown a lot when wheeling I would not buy new tmps and just live with the light on.

·
Registered
38,318 Posts
I believe the TPM attaches to the rim if you change rims I think (not sure) that you have to get sensors for the new rims or your Tire pressure light will stay on. If you"re just changing tires and not rims then you're fine.

·
Registered
317 Posts
The tire shop can also move your tpms sense from old rims to new ones. If you wish to turn the tpms off completely or change the sensor low value (where tpms would come on). You will need an AEV Procal.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
The TPMS sensors are in the tires, they are at the base of the valve stems where you add air to the tires. They have nothing to do with the wheels. You can pull them out of one set of tires and put them into your new set of tires, or you can buy new ones (eBay) for your new tires. If you don't have them in your tires, or your tire pressures are too low, the light on the dash will turn on. If you choose not to run them, then you can get a Procal to disable the light.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Get the AEV procal you can shut off that tps light and set your speedometer to match your new tire size if you are going larger. It also does some other cool stuff like turn on daytime running lights etc.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Can you use the Procal on more then one jeep?
Nope it stores the Vin code in the device, so it can only be used on one jeep at a time.

·
Registered
876 Posts
The TPMS sensors are in the tires, they are at the base of the valve stems where you add air to the tires. They have nothing to do with the wheels. You can pull them out of one set of tires and put them into your new set of tires, or you can buy new ones (eBay) for your new tires. If you don't have them in your tires, or your tire pressures are too low, the light on the dash will turn on. If you choose not to run them, then you can get a Procal to disable the light.

You may want to take another look at where the valve stems are. They are in the wheels.

·
Registered
391 Posts

If you got a hole in your TIRE big enough to run that thing through, you wont need TPMS to tell you it's low...

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
MikeK46 said:
Yet more proof that you have to be careful who you listen to on the forums...........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts