Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know Jeeps are known for leaning more towards the rugged side than the comfort side, and for that the soft top owners have to deal with Hi heat and loud road noise over 65 mph. Coming from a Pontiac G8 with a factory designed windshield to eliminate wind noise, the sound of the wind going over the soft top was driving me nuts :banghead:.

Quite a few ideas went through my head on ways to try to keep the heat out of the cabin and reduce wind noise. While working on my quarantine tank for my aquarium, i found some 1/2 " insulation board i had laying around and cut a few pieces, placed them around 3 of the tank sides and walla, the aquarium was able to maintain 78 degrees even though the house was at 82. hmm, interesting :doh:. That got me thinking about the Jeep, so i took the left over insulated Sheathing, some loc-tite spray adhesive, and a 4x4 piece of heat shielded padding i had ordered to put under the hood but never did. I put them all together and this is the end result.

Insulated board

board with carpeting

releasing the two windshield latches and popping up the top allows me to slide the shield in and out. End result? I can now listen to my radio on 14 at 70 mph (down from 19) and the cabin cools down within 2 minutes, (down from 4). Now when i say cool down, I mean after sitting in the Florida sun for a few hours. my head isn't sitting in a heat zone either as the heat is now between the insulation and the top. I'll do some temp readings in a few days, but my guess would be the insulation temp is about 86 degrees while the top is over 100. I still need to either drill a few holes or cut out the area for the satellite antenna.

total cost:
insulated sheathing $12.98
Loc-tite spray adhesive 6.99
under hood liner 34.95 ( far less expensive options available)

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
I almost went that route myself....but broke down and coughed up the cash for Hotheads...I got lazy.

Nice job... Saving money is always good.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha, thanks! Yea the more i drive the more i like it. but if i get a hardtop i may go the hotheads route.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts