Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have posted a lot on here about Android head units from Joying, Seicane, and Dasaita. However, I decided to try out the Android Auto world again.

Back in 2017, I tried the Sony XAV-AX100, but ultimately went back to the Seicane and Dasaita life. I thought the AX100 screen was too small, the volume knob was too small to be useful, the system was slow to boot, and back then Android Auto was still too restrictive.

I travel for work and use Android Auto a lot in rental cars, and it has gotten better over time. I always maintained the sound of the Sony was substantially better, than my Android head units, so I decided to give it another shot with the Sony XAV-AX5000.

On paper this fixed most of my problems and was going to be a winner. They got rid of the volume knob and added buttons, the screen was bumped up to 7 inches, the boot time is stupid fast, and i was pretty excited to get this unit.

I got it from Crutchfield, who normally seems high, but if you bundle all the install equipment, they give you some discounts, give you some good guides, and for like 25 bucks they will do all the splicing for you. They just use crimp connectors instead of soldering, but it is quality work and makes the whole thing pretty much plug and play.

I had removed the Uconnect module and reused the existing Jeep wiring so I could plug into the console USB for Android Auto or CarPlay, just like I had previously done with the AX100.

Unboxing:

That actually did work, but at that point, I had already arranged for a change through Crutchfield. So I only had about one day to really test it like that. It may have eventually crashed as well, but in my one day of testing, Android Auto did not crash when plugged directly to the Sony head unit and avoiding the pre-existing Jeep wiring.

The odd part is, that was never a problem with the Sony 100.

Crutchfield exchanged the Sony XAV-AX5000 for the Alpine iLX-W650.

I will make a separate thread about the Alpine iLX-W650 to keep this one clean and about the 5000. However, it is worth noting when I used the prexisting Jeep wiring through the console USB with the OnePlus 7 Pro, I never had any issues with Android Auto and the Alpine.

However, the Note9 and the Pixel would crash AA (but not the head unit) using the existing Jeep console USB. They would work, but crash after a few minutes, but they would almost immediately crash with the Sony 5000.

There are a lot of variables here, but I tried multiple phones and multiple cords, and of course 2 head units (3 if you count the old Sony 100).

It is possible my particular Sony 5000 was a lemon, but if you search for it on Reddit, you see a lot of similar complaints, but not necessarily with a Jeep.

it is possible my specific Jeep console USB wiring is bad, however, in the Pioneer thread, another guy was having what sounds like a similar problem.

so maybe the wiring for the JKU console USB in general is just low quality, but then the old Sony 100 worked just fine, so i dont know.

There isn't really a definitive answer here, but I figured I should post my experience here in case someone is looking at the same head unit. It might work just fine for you, but for me it was not a good experience.

I have a couple of ideas of how to troubleshoot going forward. I bought a long USB extension cord, that I could plug into the back of the head unit, run under the console and up next to the seat, and just completely skip the Jeep wiring.

I also ordered a USB extension cord that would replace the cigarette lighter port, which I could plug directly into the head unit, but I'm not sure I want that setup or not.

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
I think a lot of Android Auto issues have to do with Android itself and the way 8-9 versions out there still being used by the public? I bet some phones are still running KitKat or Marshmallow!

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think a lot of Android Auto issues have to do with Android itself and the way 8-9 versions out there still being used by the public? I bet some phones are still running KitKat or Marshmallow!
That could be a problem for some, but all of my are newer phones, 2 of which are flagship level, all 3 are on Android 9 and none of my phones are rooted or have any weirdness. Just straight from T-Mobile.

Samsung obviously tweaks their systems, but the OnePlus 7 Pro is pretty close to stock Android and of course the Google Pixel 3a XL should be pure Google and should work the best with Android Auto.

Also, I never have any issues with Android Auto when I rent cars and I have frequently used all 3 of those phones in various rental cars (business traveler).

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
I dunno...

I can't stand the idea of having to plug the phone in all the time and a cord dangling from the dash (or console). My phone wifi automatically connects up when I start the jeep, so no wires and plugging

I think the Android head units are about the best all round sort of total entertainment/information packages and of course the 10 inch screen is nice. But you're right, the audio quality is just not as good as a traditional head unit. That's the one thing I don't like about the Android units. On the other hand, with a soft top and mud terrains, I can't hear the head unit at lower volumes anyway so high quality sound isn't such an important thing anymore.

Every so often I think of going back to a traditional unit (if I did it would probably be Kenwood... I hate Sony and Alpine), but the loss of the 10 inch screen and its brightness would be too much of a cost. I had Kenwood in there before (indeed, just sold my Kenwood 9903s) and unlike the android, with the top off, the sun would completely drown out the little screen to the point I couldn't even use the back up cam. ALL of these units are pretty much useless if you can't see the screen.

Soooo... while android units certainly do have their little quarks and the audio quality is a little on the sub par side.... I still think they're the best deal in town. I wish Kenwood would produce one of these things... I'd certainly pay what an alpine restyle kit is worth if they did.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I am also looking at the Pioneer Dmh-c5500nex which has an 8 inch screen, but you do have to plug it in.

There are some 7 inch models that have wireless Android Auto, which only works with Google devices, but I do have the Pixel 3a XL.

The Sony is already replaced with the Alpine ILX-W650.

However, I will be putting that in my brother in laws Jeep.

So i am still debating between a JVC with wireless or that Pioneer 8 inch one.

There is also a new one from Stinger, the Elev8, which sort of looks like an Android head unit, but has Android Auto and CarPlay.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
I picked up the AX5000 last year when Fry's had them for $200. I ran into similar issues from the start. I traced the issue to the adapter that connects the USB cable from the head unit to the existing wiring for the USB port in the console. It couldn't keep up with the data transmission speeds required by the AX5000. The existing wiring in the Jeep for the USB port had issues as well. I ended up pulling the USB cable from the back of the unit out through the side of the center console stack and ran that way for a few months with no issues. Then I searched for a USB 3.1 certified cable with an outlet and found one on Amazon. Bought it and tested the cable. It checked out so I replaced the existing console port with it and all is well. I'm not sure why the AX5000 pushed data at the rate it does (compared to the AX1000 I put in my daughter's Jeep). I've installed other headunits (Sony, Kenwood) that have AA and have never seen this issue. Anyway, I'll probably just keep using the AX5000 until a wireless AA unit I like hits the market.

By the way, for you iPhone users, Apple Carplay worked without issue in any of the configurations I tested.

I'll also add that the audio quality of the AX5000 is great.

Regardless, for Android users, unless you can get the AX5000 really cheap and are OK re-wiring the Jeep's existing USB port or adding a new one to the center console stack, I'd buy something else.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah this is just a common problem with after market head units that run android auto or apple carplay. The makers of the units seem to do a poor job of making a proper usb 3 port and using the newest tech on their wiring. The newness of AA and AC compared to the outdated and simpleness of a normal head unit home screen is huge, and that is where data transfer is often lost and causes crashing. Because they aren’t (sometimes) properly setup for the information, type of information, or speed of AA or AC.

I had the same problem in my WRX when I installed a JVC unit, but only after about 2-3 months of use.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
JVC has a newer one out (KW-V950BW) with wireless android auto/carplay with high speed usb (1.5 amp charging), version 5 bluetooth which is 100% Maestro compatible.

I would look at that one long before I would look at Sony. Sony isn't even 100% Maestro compatible. Personally speaking I think Sony is a dollar short and a day late in these new times. They're having a tough time and it has been showing in their product in the last few years.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Thanks for all the information here fellas!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Hey I have a question for you. I have an iphone, a 2018 JKU and Alpine speakers and 130 radio. What headunit should I consider? Would the Alpine iLX-W650 be a good choice, and if so, could I use the phone wirelessly with it for music? $300-$500 budget unreasonable?

I do have a backup camera to run and assume all HUs support cameras.

My head is spinning with all the choices out there.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey I have a question for you. I have an iphone, a 2018 JKU and Alpine speakers and 130 radio. What headunit should I consider? Would the Alpine iLX-W650 be a good choice, and if so, could I use the phone wirelessly with it for music? $300-$500 budget unreasonable?

I have the Alpine iLX-W650, you can get it from Crutchfield pre-wired for probably under $500 and it basically be plug and play.

I believe it is the cheapest option.

The screen is a bit dull, but you probably won't notice that coming from a 130 or even a 430N.

It will not have wireless Android Auto or wireless CarPlay, but it will do Bluetooth

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
It is worth noting that CarPlay on the 650 is also not possible with the stock armrest usb atleast in my case, even if you buy a adapter that bypasses the USB in the armrest it tells me constantly that it is not recognized. This is completely something with the Alpine I have called tech and they claim it is something with the stock jeep wiring which is not true as I have a friend that has a kenwood that works fine with his. I have tried 3- adapters from best buy and Amazon. It works with the usb straight off the headunit flawlessly so I am in search of a usb that I am going to add in the console.
Overall I think the radio is great it brought alive my speakers over the stock radio
I have the 650, kicker 6.5 replacements, JL side mount stealth box, JL XD300 Amp, Echomaster CMOS rear camera.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I'm gonna look at a JVC and Kenwood as well. I appreciate your videos, entertaining and to the point with zero grace (that's a good thing!). Thank you.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Today I was using the Alpine iLX-W650 with my Pixel 3a XL and every once in awhile the screen would get all pixelated. It would still have perfect audio, but obviously the screen was of no help. This is with the Alpine cord ran to the glovebox and the Google cord plugged into the Alpine cord

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I would say that's the trademark of running a pixel phone. Im not surprised at all Mike.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Hey Mike, what's the next head unit I can vicariously trial through you? hehe

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Mike, what's the next head unit I can vicariously trial through you? hehe
The wireless one I am looking at is the JVC KW-M855BW

The 8 inch screen I am looking at is the Pioneer DMH-C5500NEX

However, seeing as you have to have a Pixel for the wireless to work, and the Pixel has been problematic with everything, that doesn't speak well for the JVC.

Plus I switch phones so much, I will have to plug something in anyhow, so I might as well get the bigger screen.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I found this on Amazon and used it to swap out the console USB port. Or you can make a new port anywhere else with it.

LDKCOK USB 3.0 Mount Cable –USB... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076DPQFZB?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I'm fortunate to have a Fry's Electronics by my office. The AX5000 was a crazy clearance deal and I was able to grab the last one during a huge car stereo clearance. Picked up the AX1000 for $149. I spend way too much money there.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts

I installed a Kenwood DDX6906s and it works amazing with my iPhone 6s. Sound quality is fantastic. Fully maestro compatible.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts