Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone,

i'm looking at the new Sony XAV-AX210SXM as a replacement for my current RHB430 unit.

this photo is attached to the product page, which essentially makes it look like a perfect fit/replacement for a 14 JK.

Crutchfield wasn't able to confirm, has anyone installed this or seen it in person?

cheers

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
hey everyone,

i'm looking at the new Sony XAV-AX210SXM as a replacement for my current RHB430 unit.

this photo is attached to the product page, which essentially makes it look like a perfect fit/replacement for a 14 JK.

Crutchfield wasn't able to confirm, has anyone installed this or seen it in person?

cheers

That looks like a custom dash plate. As far as I know most if not all double din head units are a standardized size (including the Sony) and the stock dash cutout although standard in height, is NOT standard in width (about 2.5cm wider).

If you compare that to the standard 430n install you can clearly see that the stock cutout is much wider

39692f38_ce58_4ead_ad9c_627cb558f73c_5abb423238e48b598697e4feefbb26421d134109.jpg

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That looks like a custom dash plate. As far as I know most if not all double din head units are a standardized size (including the Sony) and the stock dash cutout although standard in height, is NOT standard in width (about 2.5cm wider).

If you compare that to the standard 430n install you can clearly see that the stock cutout is much wider

View attachment 4178579
great eye!

i was worried it was a render. with that being said... is this a custom piece or something someone manufacturers? cheers

·
Registered
10,332 Posts

I have another vehicle which is somewhat similar, though only about 1cm wider than standard.

For it, you can buy an installation kit that includes fillers for the sides, and a bracket that offers a double din heat unit mounting holes, and bolts into the existing places behind the dash. Does someone make something like this for a JK?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have another vehicle which is somewhat similar, though only about 1cm wider than standard.

For it, you can buy an installation kit that includes fillers for the sides, and a bracket that offers a double din heat unit mounting holes, and bolts into the existing places behind the dash. Does someone make something like this for a JK?
something like this, yeah...

Metra 95-6511 Dash Kit

i've seen installs where these look super clean and others where it's contrasting. curious how close to OEM you can get.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Those fillers for the sides look awful. But, you cant get away from it regardless of what radio you put into your jeep or what fillers you buy. Want the nice look? Buy the replacement dash cover.

Not my youtube video, but a good image of what it will look like with the filler sides:

I have the Sony XAVAX100. PoS. I'll never buy another Sony again.

Reactions: basicxj

·
Registered
5,515 Posts

Yeah, you can get fill plates easy enough. I had them on my Kenwood 9903s install (and they didn't look so great!), but the OP's original pic clearly does not show them. That's a custom plate and I have no idea where you get something like that.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Those fillers for the sides look awful. But, you cant get away from it regardless of what radio you put into your jeep or what fillers you buy. Want the nice look? Buy the replacement dash cover.
The dash kits that ship with the Alpine WRA double-DIN units looks a little better than most of the dash kits from traditional makers like American International, Metra, Scosche. I hear they may be available separately soon, if not now.

I have the Sony XAVAX100. PoS. I'll never buy another Sony again.
Whether you look at it as a good thing or a bad thing, I have been involved with aftermarket car audio since the early 80's.

In the 80's, Sony made some of the absolute best automotive head units in terms of quality, sound quality. They also had some amplifier lines coveted in competition circles, and were even behind some of Alpine's flagship CD units in the late 80's.

Sony shifted their focus and marketing towards "inexpensive" for their car audio destined for North America some time in the mid-90's (about the same time they launched the X'Plod lines of product), and dropped all the high-end stuff they were known for, and quality plummeted...they kept any jewels solely for the JDM market. It wasn't that they couldn't produce high-end car audio anymore, but that they were specifically marketing towards cheaper and semi-disposable products for our market as that is where they deemed the bulk of the profit was. While overall quality has come up some since those days, I would still buy Alpine, Kenwood or Pioneer before anything from Sony in today's offerings, unless price point/features were the sole deciding factors.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Care to elaborate?
Several issues with it. Mostly when the vehicle is turned on, the radio will do any one of the following:
1) Display nothing at all (blank screen). I can guess the radio stations, and control volume.
2) Display the screen, allow you to navigate between options like Satellite, Aux, Bluetooth, etc.. BUT NO SOUND
3) Extremely poor reception, regardless of antenna. I used the OEM, then added a 4 ft Firestick with freq converter. The Firestick with converter works great in the truck, so I know that assembly is perfect for drawing signals in. Same radio stations in my other vehicles come in fine, but not with this radio in the wrangler.

·
Registered
659 Posts

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Are these the Alpine adapters your talking about?

https://www.pacparts.com/part.cfm?sku=820ZUD-L974-ENWV-SW

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
That certainly looks like them. PacParts is a good supplier for all things Alpine, from new to vintage.

If someone that owns an i207-WRA can confirm the part #, that would be good. They are more expensive than a standard Metra/Scosche/American International adapter, but they do look like they belong in a JK dash (for those whom that sort of thing matters) on either side of a Double-DIN.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts