Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought my very first jeep, which is a 2013 Wrangler sport. I'm thinking about a 3.5 Terraflex long arm lift, with 37' pitbull tires. Im gonna regear to 4.56's but do i have to replace my axels too? im planning on doing that eventually, but being as im 19 and money is tight, i dont want to do anything i dont have too. Any advice?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I recently bought my very first jeep, which is a 2013 Wrangler sport. I'm thinking about a 3.5 Terraflex long arm lift, with 33' pitbull tires. Im gonna regear to 4.56's but do i have to replace my axels too? im planning on doing that eventually, but being as im 19 and money is tight, i dont want to do anything i dont have too. Any advice?
You don't really need a lift to clear 33s. Go with a 2.5 inch lift, max. It'll clear up to 35 inch tires.

You won't need to regear to run 33s nor will you need to swap axles.

·
Registered
45 Posts
anybody can correct me if I'm wrong but 3.5 lift is a lot considering 33 inch tires. I would recommend 35 but depending on your axle (I assume you have dana 33 since it's a sport), you will need to reinforce the weak points by adding gusset and sleeve kit.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
anybody can correct me if I'm wrong but 3.5 lift is a lot considering 33 inch tires. I would recommend 35 but depending on your axle (I assume you have dana 33 since it's a sport), you will need to reinforce the weak points by adding gusset and sleeve kit.
I agree, 3.5 inches is a lot of lift for just 33s. Not to mention that with that lift height you may need to look at drive shaft replacements.

Any of the stock gearing will push 33s well enough but once you go to 35s then you are looking at needing to regear if you dont have the 4.10s (3.73 may be adequate for some).

I'd stay with the 33s and just get a small lift.

·
Registered
45 Posts
For some reason my brain combined the OP's post and green machine's post together and I pictured 33 with 3.5 lift. lol.

Since you're thinking about getting 3.5 with 37" tires. Definitely consider gusset and sleeve if you have dana 33 in the front, but honestly I don't even know if those are enough to reinforce the axle for the size of tires you're considering.

Agree with Green Machine about re-gearing if you have stock gear ratio (3.21), especially with 37's.

I guess my next question is what is your budget and what are you using your wrangler for?

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
If money is tight I don't think you want to go 3.5 and 37. That is going to cost you a lot more than just 2.5 lift and 33s or 35s. Also, with 3.5 you have to start thinking about axle upgrades or replacements. Are you sure you really need 37s? I know a lot of folks that run some very serious off-road with 33s and 35s.

I know the 37s will look cooler but it will cost you a bundle.

2.5 lift with Duratrac 33s. I can easily go 35s on my next tire upgrade with these Pintler wheels and my lift. 35 is the largest I will ever go.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
For some reason my brain combined the OP's post and green machine's post together and I pictured 33 with 3.5 lift. lol. Since you're thinking about getting 3.5 with 37" tires. Definitely consider gusset and sleeve if you have dana 33 in the front, but honestly I don't even know if those are enough to reinforce the axle for the size of tires you're considering. Agree with Green Machine about re-gearing if you have stock gear ratio (3.21), especially with 37's. I guess my next question is what is your budget and what are you using your wrangler for?
That was my bad, I thought he said 33" pit bulls ... Now I know why he was asking about regearing!

Oh wait, it looks like the OP made a typo and has corrected it to be 37s and not 33s... Whew, I'm not going crazy or blind. LoL

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
If money is tight I don't think you want to go 3.5 and 37. That is going to cost you a lot more than just 2.5 lift and 33s or 35s. Also, with 3.5 you have to start thinking about axle upgrades or replacements. Are you sure you really need 37s? I know a lot of folks that run some very serious off-road with 33s and 35s.

I know the 37s will look cooler but it will cost you a bundle.

2.5 lift with Duratrac 33s. I can easily go 35s on my next tire upgrade with these Pintler wheels and my lift. 35 is the largest I will ever go.

This, money is tight and 37's don't go well together.

·
Super Moderator
8,327 Posts
I recently bought my very first jeep, which is a 2013 Wrangler sport. I'm thinking about a 3.5 Terraflex long arm lift, with 37' pitbull tires. Im gonna regear to 4.56's but do i have to replace my axels too? im planning on doing that eventually, but being as im 19 and money is tight, i dont want to do anything i dont have too. Any advice?
If money is tight I strongly suggest developing a Plan B. Do you realize how many thousands you are looking at to do 37s on a 3.5 on a Sport the right way?:jawdrop:

·
Registered
617 Posts
Assuming the lift kit has everything you need to correct your suspensions geometry. You would also need, at a minimum, a drag link flip kit. Also, a front drive shaft and if you have a 2 door a rear drive shaft as well. Then you need new wheels with the correct back spacing or some wheel spacers.

I would suggest finding some Rubicon take offs and enjoy that until you can afford to do it right. Its very easy to turn the Jeep into a POS.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.