Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like I'll be ordering a Wrangler sometime soon. I recently found out that I'm eligible to buy one through the Military Exchange. Unfortunately, I can't visit a dealer anytime in the next couple of months due to my location. As such, I got a few newbie questions to pose to the Wrangler Collective since there's no local dealer where I'm at.

First some background:

There are a few reasons why I'm looking at getting a jeep. My current vehicle is a Saturn Sky. As much as I like that little car, it really can't haul anything. I need something that I can toss a week's worth of groceries in the back without too much cramming. I'd also like to be able to tow a trailer for those trips to the Home Depot or whatever (already got the trailer). And last but definitely not least, I've always liked the Wrangler look ever since watching Rat Patrol as a kid. Keep in mind that I'm not really looking at doing a lot of off road stuff, but it might be fun to do such a thing from time to time.

I definitely want a rag top since I like to feel the breeze in my hair; I suspect a good portion of my driving will be with the top off. I'm thinking the Wrangler will look better with half doors when driving top down. Or even with the doors removed.

So, all that being said, what are your thoughts on getting the half doors when I order? Or should I get the full size doors from the dealer and buy some aftermarket half doors?? Is it hard to swap between the two door styles??

Also, anyone have any thoughts about the cloth seats vs leather? If the cloth seats will stand up to getting wet as a result of being caught in the rain with no top, I'll probably be fine with them. I read in another post that the leather trimming is pretty minimal on the seats, so if I opt for leather, I guess I'll have to go for the Katzskin leather package, although I notice it doesn't seem to be an option for the 2013 models.

As mentioned earlier, I have no intention of doing serious 4-wheeling, however I do like the look of the bigger tires. Is it possible to get the bigger (18") tires with the Sport S? Or is that an aftermarket item only with that model? If it's aftermarket only, I'll probably just opt for the Sahara. Again, any thoughts?

Finally… 2012 or 2013? It looks like there isn't that much of a price difference when I build either one with similar options on the Jeep website. However, I was wondering if there might be some end of model year discount available in the next couple of months. The folks at the Exchange tell me that if the price goes down, they'll honor it. As far as features go, for me personally there's only one item I would like on the 2012 that's not available on the 2013. That's the Flame Red paint. I definitely like the Flame Red!! However, if y'all convince me that a 2013 is the better way to go, I think I'll be just as happy with the Black or True Blue Pearl.

Sorry for the Brianesque type post, but I definitely appreciate any help y'all can give me with the question above, as well as any other bits of wisdom you think would be helpful. My internet access is a bit restricted when I'm deployed, but I'll surf around here when I can.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Save your money Soldier - buy used! The newer V6s are junk compared to the older straight 6 4.0L motors!

Okay, I'm a little sentimental - I love that motor!

Everything you want will vary greatly in the climate/region you live in. Northern areas, hard top and full doors will keep you warmer and obviously in the south halves and soft. The dealership will put whatever you want for tires and lift and anything else you can imagine...

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
^ WOOO easy on the new V6's more horsepower and better mileage whats not to like there? :D

But I to have to agree that with the hard top/half doors climate plays a big role. Personally, if I were you i would not be so quick to rule out the hard top. When I was looking I originally thought the same thing as you (soft top only) but after looking around and thinking a little I was very glad I went with the hard top. If there is any doubt that you may want to get a hard top I would suggest getting one to begin with because a soft top is cheaper to buy after.

As far as seats go If your really worried about them getting wet just get a set of waterproof seat covers for it.

Personally I am not a fan of the half doors you could always just take them off even if you have the full doors. Plus then you still have full doors.

Also, if your looking at getting a jeep for more space then think about a 4 door.

Hope this helps some you will get a bunch of different opinions about all of your questions and topics, you will just have to decide what works best for you and I am sure you will be happy with whatever decision you make.

One more thing, thank you for your service your the reason that all of us can ride around with the top off and smiles on our faces!! :thumb:

·
Registered
290 Posts
I've had my jk for about a month. Got the softop cause on my last jeep I hard a hardtop and always wanted a soft top. I wish I had the hard top for this jeep. A good point was made. If u ever want a softop it's cheaper to buy. Half doors? I just take mine off. I do te like tube half doors they're neat but I just take mine off.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I too wanted flame red but settled for Deep Cherry Red since I wanted a 13. Now that Rock Lobster is in production, you might want to consider that. It is just a tad brighter than flame red.

I got the dual top group because I wanted the flexibility of having both. If you have to choose only one, go for the hardtop from the factory and add the soft top later if you want. Getting the hardtop from the factory also gets you the rear wiper, washer and defroster wiring/controls. For me, taking the freedom panels out of the hardtop provides plenty of open air experience without the hassle and noise of the soft top.

If you plan to get a manual transmission, I recommend the 3.73 ratio. I found it to be much more pleasant to drive than the 3.21, but drive both to see which suits you. I thought the 3.21 was more difficult to launch smoothly and didn't have any acceleration when cruising at highway speed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Everything you want will vary greatly in the climate/region you live in. Northern areas, hard top and full doors will keep you warmer and obviously in the south halves and soft.
But I to have to agree that with the hard top/half doors climate plays a big role. Personally, if I were you i would not be so quick to rule out the hard top. When I was looking I originally thought the same thing as you (soft top only) but after looking around and thinking a little I was very glad I went with the hard top. If there is any doubt that you may want to get a hard top I would suggest getting one to begin with because a soft top is cheaper to buy after.
I got the dual top group because I wanted the flexibility of having both. If you have to choose only one, go for the hardtop from the factory and add the soft top later if you want. Getting the hardtop from the factory also gets you the rear wiper, washer and defroster wiring/controls. For me, taking the freedom panels out of the hardtop provides plenty of open air experience without the hassle and noise of the soft top.
I've had my jk for about a month. Got the softop cause on my last jeep I hard a hardtop and always wanted a soft top. I wish I had the hard top for this jeep. A good point was made. If u ever want a softop it's cheaper to buy.
You know, I never really thought about the climate thing, other than rain. For the record, when I get my house built, I'll be located in the Ozarks of northern Arkansas. I think y'all have convinced me to go for the Dual Top group.

Half doors? I just take mine off. I do like tube half doors they're neat but I just take mine off.
Personally I am not a fan of the half doors you could always just take them off even if you have the full doors. Plus then you still have full doors.

Also, if your looking at getting a jeep for more space then think about a 4 door.
Personally, I like the look of the two door better than the four door. With the flip up seats in the back, I should have enough space. Really, all I need is trunk space, which is severely lacking in the Sky.

Like Jerkbait, I'll probably be running around with the doors off more than I will with the half doors on. All that being said, I think I'm going to opt for the half doors from the aftermarket if I feel the need.

As far as seats go If you're really worried about them getting wet just get a set of waterproof seat covers for it.
I'm probably going to go for the cloth. I haven't had a rain problem with my current rag top car, so I shouldn't have any real problems.

If you plan to get a manual transmission, I recommend the 3.73 ratio. I found it to be much more pleasant to drive than the 3.21, but drive both to see which suits you. I thought the 3.21 was more difficult to launch smoothly and didn't have any acceleration when cruising at highway speed.
3.73 for sure!!! :action-smiley:

I too wanted flame red but settled for Deep Cherry Red since I wanted a 13. Now that Rock Lobster is in production, you might want to consider that. It is just a tad brighter than flame red.
Haven't seen the Rock Lobster color yet. I might have to look into it when I place the order.

One more thing, thank you for your service your the reason that all of us can ride around with the top off and smiles on our faces!! :thumb:
Thanks, but just to be clear, I hung up my uniform and stopped working for God and country a whole bunch of years ago. Now I'm doing the fun and money thing as a contractor. The funny thing is, as a contractor, I'm doing more military type work than I did when I was in the military. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Hope this helps some you will get a bunch of different opinions about all of your questions and topics, you will just have to decide what works best for you and I am sure you will be happy with whatever decision you make.
I definitely appreciate the help. As noted above, the insight from these posts have helped me make a couple of decisions.

·
Registered
545 Posts
And make sure you check the Exchange price against what you can get via the Tread Lightly discount. Sometimes the Exchange can't be beat and other times their prices are just not that good.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The deed is done! I just put a $500 down payment on a 2012 Sahara. It has most of what I wanted and a few things that are nice, but I wouldn't have ordered for myself. There's nothing added that I absolutely didn't want and only one thing that I absolutely wanted, but is not on there. The missing item is the Towing Group. I'm sure I can get that added in the aftermarket, and I bet y'all can probably point me in the right direction for that.

So, here's the breakdown...

6 Speed Manual (I wanted this)

3.73 axle (I wanted this too)

Ziebart vehicle protection (heard Wranglers are notorious for rust)

Engine Block Heater (I wouldn't have opted for this, but no biggie)

Saddle Leather Trimmed Low-Backed Bucket Seats (I was planning on just doing the cloth, but I like leather, so I can live with this. Also, the heated front seats will be nice)

Front Seat Side Airbags (I wouldn't have opted for this, but I'm sure the insurance company will like it. Hopefully it rates a discount for me.)

Color is Black instead of Flame Red (All my previous cars were black, so I was hoping to make a change. I like black though, so this works for sure)

Air Conditioning w/ Auto Control (I heard the Wrangler's AC sucks, so I normally wouldn't have ordered this. I think I can live with it though)

Connectivity Group. (I was planning on getting this anyway)

All that, with delivery charges and what not added, and most discounts applied (no tax, tags or title yet) will run me $28,518. There might be a couple of other discounts that can be applied still. The sales guy did not know if I could use the Tread Lightly discount, but he's checking. Also, some one was kind enough to send me a PM saying that I might be able to receive a $500 coupon if I get the Jeep brochure. If I get it, I'll see if I can apply it. Another nifty discount that I wasn't planning on is for getting my Masters. I need to submit my transcripts to see if I'll get it, but that's worth another $500 knocked off the price. And finally, there's a possibility of a rebate coming out in November which will knock even more off of the price.

The folks here convinced me to get the dual top group, but unfortunately, it's not included on this Jeep. I wasn't originally planning on getting that, so I guess I can live without it. If I decide I can't live without the hard top, I guess I can get that aftermarket as well.

I'll probably take delivery in mid to late December when I get back to the States. I appreciate the insight y'all have given to me and will be sure to post a picture or two after I pick it up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts