Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In looking for a front bumper, I've settled on a simple stubby style with D-Shackles that can safely recover the vehicle. I have noticed that most bumpers are made from 3/16" steel, and some are 2X4 box tube, while others are 3-sided, open in back, like the Pavement Ends basic bumper, which I like as it is 5" tall rather than 4" and presumably lighter that the box-tube bumpers (I don't like adding extra weight for no reason, especially when I'll eventually be adding a winch).

My concern is whether this bumper, in not having a "back", is strong enough for recovery. While probably not as strong as the box-tube bumpers, I'm thinking it is, as virtually all the "fancy" fabricator bumpers such as the Fab Fours, Rampage, Rugged Ridge, etc. are back-less and made of 3/16" steel.

Any insight would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
i run a 3/16ths stubby AtoZ fab bumper. 1 piece of plate with 2 bends making it "3" sided. I trust it a lot more then bumpers with welded mounting tabs off a box tube. Also I'd open up your serch on bumpers to other brands, AtoZ, Genright, Savvy, Rokmen, Spyder, Sinister, ect.

The bumper I'm running

Jeepᆴ Wrangler Front Bumper Mounting Kit

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. I had not thought about the welded mounting tabs, I was thinking they were bolted to the front of the frame ends.

A lot of nice bumpers out there, but I like the PE's price (They're $145 with free shipping right now from a number of places) and dimensions (57"wide x 6"tall x 6"deep) it's a little taller than most, and I understand they're made by Bestop, s I trust it's pretty well made.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
i got it welded and installed while my rig was at AtoZ for cage work I think he will put them together with the D-ring mounts at the shop for a few extra bucks or just well the d-ring tabs on your self

·
Registered
127 Posts
I am in the same boat as you. I like some of the fancy bumpers but the weight is too much for me (4cyl). I would not worry about the strength of a C channel. A C channel is almost as strong as a box tube. Besides the clevis mounts are so close to the frame the bending moment on the bumper is very short.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I looked at AtoZ. Their bumper is 2X4 box tube and is $214+. They do have a "bumper mount kit" that is 3/16" steel plate for $75. This would be the base for a bumper, but I don't weld and by the time I had clevis mounts and end caps welded in and painted/powder coated, it'd be more than the PE bumper. I do like the JCR bumper and the price seems really good. I'm leaning towards that if I dont get the PE.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts