Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 76xx miles on my 2017.
Oil life is at 16% today.

When its time for a oil change does an in-dash message come up or a light indicating when its time to change or do I run it down as close to 0% as I have the nerve for?

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
It's all up to you.

I believe my 2012 is programmed for changes every 5k miles, where I usually change it around 4k.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
When it drops below a certain percentage (I think maybe 3%?) you will start getting a chime and a message that says "change oil soon"

Even if you run it over, it's not going to be the end of the world. That percentage is driven by an algorithm that monitors driving habits, number of starts, etc. It doesn't directly monitor oil quality or quantity or anything like that.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Had mine go off on Thursday, moments after setting off for a 2k km road trip. :D

So I can definitively say that it starts warning at 5% left and will warn you every time you start up the Jeep.

I had 2% left after around 800 km's and changed it during the trip. :)

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Thanks, that's what I wanted to know.
The % remaining and notification are duty cycle based. Meaning, they are calculated based on driving conditions, etc. You don't have to wait for the vehicle to notify you or drop to zero percent life remaining to change your oil. If you feel the need to change it, change it.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I am a wuss I can't let my oil go that long. I have 8300 miles on my 2016 and have changed 3x already. first time I changed at about 700 miles as I was going to Moab and then changed when I got back and just changed again yesterday. From this point on I will go between 5-6000 mile intervals.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The % remaining and notification are duty cycle based. Meaning, they are calculated based on driving conditions, etc. You don't have to wait for the vehicle to notify you or drop to zero percent life remaining to change your oil. If you feel the need to change it, change it.
The plan is to wait until I get a notification to do so, not earlier and not later. What I needed to know is if there would be a notification or not.

·
Super Moderator
7,833 Posts
I am a wuss I can't let my oil go that long. I have 8300 miles on my 2016 and have changed 3x already. first time I changed at about 700 miles as I was going to Moab and then changed when I got back and just changed again yesterday. From this point on I will go between 5-6000 mile intervals.
Call me a wuss too. Mine based on the numbers would have put me somewhere in the ballpark of about an 8K+ mile OCI. I dumped the oil at 5K miles. A UOA showed it was save to drive it for about another 2,000 miles. I'll stick with 5K miles or once a year, whatever comes first.

Reactions: Old Dogger

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I change mine every 5000 miles, just because it's easy to remember when it needs changed.

I don't put much stock into the onboard alarm, or if the oil says it's good for 15,000 miles. I just change it at 5000 miles.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Yeah, I have a problem trusting the vehicle's computer.

Reactions: aqualungs

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
The plan is to wait until I get a notification to do so, not earlier and not later. What I needed to know is if there would be a notification or not.
There will be a warning that it's due soon, then another saying it's needed.

I'm almost at oil change 3... seems to be about 10,000km with my driving (approx 6500 miles). It doesn't hurt to do it sooner... but there's a lot of research on new oils saying you are wasting money. The argument then is... oil is cheaper than a new motor... I guess so... but collectively we're wasting a lot of oil...

·
Registered
316 Posts
Filters need changed every 3-4k miles. If you read the fine print on the filler package it says filter only good for so long. Even tho the full synthetic oil is rated at 15-18k miles. I changed my oil early @ 4k miles put in synth then did a change at 10k and have just been changing filters every 3-4k and manually monitoring my oil quality and adding top off (only a tiny bit that stays in the filter). I'm at 23k miles now and my oil is still good after 13k miles with regular filter changes. I'll do a full change again at 25k most likely. I pretty much ignore the computer.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Oh, I always was taught new engines had to break in and not to do an early oil change. So is the factory oil in a new engine the same formula?
Just trying to learn
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Oh, I always was taught new engines had to break in and not to do an early oil change. So is the factory oil in a new engine the same formula?
Just trying to learn
Thanks!
I have read numerous reports on the bobtheoilguy site that dispute that claim and it is something that I have done since the early 70's when I bought my first new vehicle. I have done it every since and have always had good running engines. I think people need to do with what they feel comfortable. In the old days when rings were rough and there was cross hatch in the cylinder bores most gearheads ran cheap oil and changed often until the rings were broken in. Today that is not a real issue on factory motors.

Reactions: jaysong

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Yes you'll get the reminder with a ligth that says change oil soon.

I've been doing my oil changes that way since 2009 in every vehicle I've had, My Jeep had 30k miles when I brought her home, now sits at 102k miles, with oil changes following the reminders in the dash. No leaks, no engine issues, and I bet she will reach 150k without a sweat.

My truck has now 80k, changing oil every 10k miles as well, not a single issue

Every vehicle I've had since 2009 didn't/haven't have one single issue because oil changes between 8k-10k miles.

Its harder to let go good/bad habits, that to run any modern vehicle engine every 10k miles before changing its oil :)

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I change mine every 5000, but forgot to reset it. So real close to 10,000 miles later it said change oil soon. Like within 200 miles to 10,000 mile mark.

·
Super Moderator
2,775 Posts

Yea I got mad at myself for changing my Oil after 5600 miles. I like to change it every 5000 with my tire rotations. It's just what make me sleep good at night.

From what I've read and what the dealers have told me on numerous brands Jeep, Honda, and Ford, change it when the computer tells you. I think either you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 45 Posts