Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All - I was a JK owner and loved the vehicle but the road noise finally got the better of me after a few really long drives. My wife had a JL which was much quieter, but I got lured into the seductive appeal of a really fast BMW and it's been nothing but trouble with a side order of horrific support from the dealer and national headquarters. So, less than 3 months into that ordeal, that BMW is getting returned and I'm shopping for a new car.

The diesel JL is leading my list. My prior JK was a Rubicon and I enjoyed the ruggedness, but as I mentioned, the loud ride got a little too much for me as I have tinnitus (ringing in the ears) so I'm a bit more sensitive. I know my Gobi rack and my tire choice (Toyo Open Country M/T) didn't help the noise at all.

I test drove a Sahara and it seemed much, much quieter, but I have to admit that coming from the Rubicon and doing some off roading in my Jeep that I liked having the beefier tires... So, the questions...

Aside from tires, what am I missing out on by choosing a Sahara over the Rubicon? When I had a Rubicon, I never did anything that required me to unlock the axles, but that's not to say I won't moving forward. I also enjoy an overbuilt car so beefier suspension parts appeal to me because for some reason I have a historical issue with chewing through those things.
Are there any drawbacks to the diesel? The mileage on my JK was around 13mpg and that hurt quite a bit. The extra torque on the diesel engine is appealing as well.

That's really it. I appreciate any help and feedback on the new JL platform. It seems to ride quite nicer than my JK did and much quieter. I like to keep my cars for a long time so I'm going to get the hardtop as opposed to the one touch sun rider roof which I worry might fail years down the road and I also imagine the hard top will be quieter.

Thanks for any help and feedback and my apologies to all for going to the dark side and being tempted by a seductively fast and nice handling BMW. That car would have resulted in so many speeding tickets anyway.

·
Super Moderator
10,628 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

There are multiple discussions on the diesel. Diesel owners seem delighted with the motor. Personally, I am not sold. EcoDiesel has a stormy past and the launch of this generation was less than stellar. The engine is still too new to tell if FCA worked out all the bugs.

I don’t know what tires you had on your JK Rubicon. If you had the factory KMs, those are notoriously noisy and get progressively worse with wear. FCA has been installing BF Goodrich KO2s on JL Rubicon: it’s been the best-selling truck tire for a reason. Given your sensitivity to tire noise and your intended use, I’d stick to all-terrain tires and avoid mud-terrains. The latter are dedicated to off-road use and, as such, compromise on-road ride, handling and noise.

If you decide to get a Rubicon make sure you get the KO2s, not the Falken MTs. Or you can get a Sahara and buy a set of Rubicon wheels and tires on Craigslist; they are a dime a dozen. There’s nothing fundamentally “weaker” in a Sahara suspension; the main difference are Rubicon’s lockers, swaybar disconnect, and the (beefier) D44 front axle —which makes a difference only if you plan to mount 37-inch tires.

Both Rubicon and Sahara are supposed to come from the factory with additional sound deadening material.

Good luck!

PS - you can also add a headliner to the hardtop; it cuts down the amount of din bouncing off the fiberglass surface.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I have a '21 Rubicon w/KO2's. Pretty quiet tire (for what it is). I have 14K on my Gladiator running Falken's. They've been good as well. The old BFG's KM's on my '17 Rubicon cupped and were noisy.

·
Retired Moderator
100,523 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ. No on the Diesel...Plus the expense and the pain in the ass of adding a fuel additive to satisfy the Feds..:eek:

Reactions: Tom333

·
Retired Moderator
100,523 Posts
I have a '21 Rubicon w/KO2's. Pretty quiet tire (for what it is). I have 14K on my Gladiator running Falken's. They've been good as well. The old BFG's KM's on my '17 Rubicon cupped and were noisy.
Falkens here also, great tires............

Reactions: danondrums

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all! I definitely felt that my tires were getting noisier over time so it's good to learn about "cupping" as you say. I rotated every 5k miles to try and avoid this but I remember looking at the tread and noticing the uneven wear. That makes a lot of sense.

Seems the diesel is not looked upon very favorably. I do 40k miles/year and have to say the gas mileage is a factor in the decision process. I've had diesels before (Mercedes Sprinter) and don't mind adding the DEF. Thanks for forcing me to go deeper into that decision. I've had two wranglers before and I plan to keep the next one indefinitely so I want to get it right...

·
Super Moderator
10,628 Posts
You can also consider the Wrangler 4xe. Talk about quiet!

I saw a video by a guy who owns a 4xe: he is averaging 29 MPG in real-life driving. That’s right up there with the EcoDiesel.

There are rumors that Congress is looking to increase the tax credit on electrified vehicles from $7,500 to $12,500.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was reading up on the steering damper thread about wonky steering. I have to say my JK steered pretty well and that the Sahara I test drove a few days ago felt like it wandered quite a bit more which was to my surprise since the Sahara has more road oriented tires and my JK had Toyo Open Country MT's on them.

I was seeing a lot of aftermarket work done. If the wandering steering bothers me in general, should I plan to immediately do work to tighten up the steering? Track Bar/Shaft Brace?

·
Super Moderator
10,628 Posts
There are thousands of posts on this issue.

The short of it is that FCA didn’t know what the problem was for the first three model years; it issued a series of placebos aimed at placating customer complaints instead of addressing the problem. FCA finally found a fix starting with 2021 production. It now uses a stronger cast iron steering box in lieu of aluminum.

More often than not, replacing OE parts with aftermarket gets you down a rabbit hole. Best for those who own a 2018-20 JL with the wandering steering is to have the dealer replace the old aluminum steering box with the new one; there is a TSB out there.

When you go out to test drive new JLs, you have to check the tire pressures. For some unexplained reason, Jeep dealers love to overinflate tires; 45-47 PSI is not uncommon. Factory recommended is 36. Overinflated tires will exacerbate the wandering feel and create an issue where there’s none.

Having said all that, JL’s electric steering has a somewhat disconnected feel; it will never feel like JK’s.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I love my Jeep but for your use and budget, and if you’re really going to keep it forever, I’d be seriously looking at grabbing the last of the 2021 Land Cruisers. MPG blows but our former LX570 would do anything we asked if it off road, in the snow, etc and was a nice way to pass the miles on the interstate.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Perhaps I'm missing something, but the Land Cruiser starts at $85k. Add in the terrible gas mileage and that's a lot more money to spend on a vehicle long term than a diesel wrangler.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Does the top come off that landcruiser?

·
Registered
2017 JKU Sahara
40 Posts
I did a long test drive in a JL before buying a certified JK a few years ago. I don't regret the decision one bit, even though I do like the updated styling of the JL. The JL just didn't feel like it was as much of a Jeep as the JK - I like the quirks.

I would have purchased a Rubicon if I was able to find one, but I couldn't pass up the JKU Sahara I found. It was definitely a garage queen in its past life and very well-maintained by the prior owner, so no regrets at all.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I didn’t mean to offend anyone with the Land Cruiser quip. Forgive me. 👍😂👍

Only reason I mentioned the LC is the highway driving and NVH complaints the OP had about the last JKUR he had. The LC is definitely more expensive, but if you have it for 20 years or more, that initial upfront cost is worth it as a LC is still going to command some serious resale dollars even at 200K miles or more. The Wrangler will too I’m sure, but for long highway trips I usually take my Tundra rather than my JL.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I didn’t mean to offend anyone with the Land Cruiser quip. Forgive me. 👍😂👍

Only reason I mentioned the LC is the highway driving and NVH complaints the OP had about the last JKUR he had. The LC is definitely more expensive, but if you have it for 20 years or more, that initial upfront cost is worth it as a LC is still going to command some serious resale dollars even at 200K miles or more. The Wrangler will too I’m sure, but for long highway trips I usually take my Tundra rather than my JL.
Thanks for the clarification. I did find my wife's JL to be quieter than my JK and as I mentioned, I had a Gobi rack on my JK and some bigger/knobbier tires which really put it over the edge. I did okay with the noise up until the last few months where I was doing lots of highway miles between Santa Cruz and Vegas and now that drive should be a lot less frequent I'm thinking I'll be good to go. Truth be told, the run flats on the BMW X3 are quite loud in their own respect. It will be hard not to strap on another rack (rooftop camping is great!) and not put awesome tires on it, but we'll see. I did enjoy my Jeep the last 6 years I drove them (first a 2 door, then a 4 door) and I regret parting with it. If nothing else, I'll keep my next Jeep for good and get some crappy daily driver if I need to. There's too much fun stuff to do in a Jeep in and around Las Vegas not to get back in.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. I did find my wife's JL to be quieter than my JK and as I mentioned, I had a Gobi rack on my JK and some bigger/knobbier tires which really put it over the edge. I did okay with the noise up until the last few months where I was doing lots of highway miles between Santa Cruz and Vegas and now that drive should be a lot less frequent I'm thinking I'll be good to go. Truth be told, the run flats on the BMW X3 are quite loud in their own respect. It will be hard not to strap on another rack (rooftop camping is great!) and not put awesome tires on it, but we'll see. I did enjoy my Jeep the last 6 years I drove them (first a 2 door, then a 4 door) and I regret parting with it. If nothing else, I'll keep my next Jeep for good and get some crappy daily driver if I need to. There's too much fun stuff to do in a Jeep in and around Las Vegas not to get back in.
I get the Jeep love. Lol. I’ve put more miles on my JK and JL than my Tundra. Both 2 doors. Both 100% Jeep. Welcome back!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ. No on the Diesel...Plus the expense and the pain in the ass of adding a fuel additive to satisfy the Feds..:eek:
Sounds like a person that has never even driven a Diesel, take anything this guy says with a grain of salt.. I have the Diesel in a 2021 and it is flawless..

·
Super Moderator
10,628 Posts
Sounds like a person that has never even driven a Diesel, take anything this guy says with a grain of salt.. I have the Diesel in a 2021 and it is flawless..
You can’t possibly have very many miles on a 2021.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts