Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I just bought my first Jeep, a 2005 LJ. Unfortunately, it came with a RC 4" LA lift, and I'm now learning about it being a stinker. It has some other nice mods though, like Currectlync, ORO SwayLoc, Woods CV D/S, chromoly axles and EBC brakes.

I'm looking for advice from you suspension vets on what to do with this lift. Now, before you just say "scrap it, and get something good", will you help me define a good, better best scenario for improving the situation?

From the research I've done, I've come up with this...

* BETTER (since it's not really GOOD)
Replace RC joints with Johnny Joints to at least eliminate that problem.

* GOOD
Do the JJ joints plus this UCF bracket kit...
These new control arm brackets are supposed to "correct" the geometry deficiency of the RC design. Would these two upgrades make it a solid performing lift?

* BEST
Scrap the whole thing and start over with something else. Is there a short list of lifts to consider that really nail it? Or is there one that lends itself more easily to transitioning from the RC/LA?

As far as my intended use, I want solid rock crawling performance and surprisingly decent on the road. Even if I never choose the most extreme trail on Poison Spider Mesa, I would like to be able to once my driving experience catches up. Thank you for any advice or feedback.

·
Registered
57 Posts
What is wrong with the lift ? The brand ?

Drive it for awhile and see if it might work for you .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is wrong with the lift ? The brand ?
Drive it for awhile and see if it might work for you .
It seems like a forgone conclusion among the vets that the joints are crap and regularly need replacing and that the geometry is far from ideal for articulation. If it can be helped without a lot of cash, I want to do it.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
The main problem with RC long arm kits is the way the rear control arms mount. They have almost zero vertical separation. that causes the front end to unload and the rear end to squat. it's far from ideal. from what i've seen the UCF correction kit helps bring the geometry back to an acceptable range. I'm not a fan of the radius front arms and many RC kits come with a drop pitman arm and possibly even a drop track bar bracket.

as for the joints, if they are flex, at least one guy that posted regularly to the forums ran them for 5 years with out issue. if they arent worn out, keep running them, its rare that an arm with at least one flex joint will limit travel or add stress to the control arm mounts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts