Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this really falls under the tech forum but I was wondering if anyone has installed a 2 way speaker system with separate tweeters in the sound bar. I'm wondering if it's worth the Xtra cash and time does it make a big difference. Down the road there will be a head unit upgrade amp and sub along with new front speakers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did exactly this yesterday to my sound bar. It does make a noticeable difference compared to the factory speakers. Definitely clearer and much louder. Though, I am running it directly off of an aftermarket Alpine head unit. So there is a little better power output to those speakers compared to stock HU. I went with the JL Audio C3 600 convertible speakers with 6.5" adapter plates for the sound bar. Instead of mounting the 1" provided tweeter coaxial to the woofer, I made a small metal bracket to attach it separately to the location where the 3.5" "factory tweeter" was in the sound bar. I am planning to power these off of my amp in the future. I am going to run new speaker wires into the sound bar as it appears that the factory tied both the tweeter and woofer to the same channel and ran black & white wires to the corresponding twisted pair going to the rear channels. The new speakers are provided with passive cross-overs so it would be necessary to run separate wires to each speaker for the cross-over to work like it should.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
In a later model JK, the biggest change for the least bucks is 77kick10 speakers in the sound bar and 77kick25ab speakers in the dash tweeter position. They are plug and play replacements. I did all 8 speakers in mine and haven't needed to go any further. But I don't expect to play music with the top down and doors off at freeway speeds with aggressive off-road tires. Some folks do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Soundbar

How is the sound? Are you hooked up to the factory HU?

In a later model JK, the biggest change for the least bucks is 77kick10 speakers in the sound bar and 77kick25ab speakers in the dash tweeter position. They are plug and play replacements. I did all 8 speakers in mine and haven't needed to go any further. But I don't expect to play music with the top down and doors off at freeway speeds with aggressive off-road tires. Some folks do.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Nash2323
I'd call it full range within limits and, yes, I'm using a 130S. I've never played my NAB test CD so I can't put a number on where the bass falls off. If the track has a bass fiddle, I hear all of the notes but I don't 'feel' them. For that, you'd need to add an amp and a sub. The dash tweets made a huge difference in the highs and some of the mids, making my audio books more intelligible at lower volume and opened up the music tracks as well. The sound bar 6.75's made the most difference in the bass & low-mids. The other four speaker improved the sound as well but the change was less dramatic and I don't regret the money or the work.

·
Premium Member
9,582 Posts
I don't know if this really falls under the tech forum but I was wondering if anyone has installed a 2 way speaker system with separate tweeters in the sound bar. I'm wondering if it's worth the Xtra cash and time does it make a big difference. Down the road there will be a head unit upgrade amp and sub along with new front speakers.
No it is not worth the cash. The sound bar speakers only provide fill and when the sound stage is properly set up they are going to run 6db less at a minimum than the front speakers. This means if you are running a 100 watt system the rear speakers will only need 25 watts or less to power. All that is really needed is a set of coax speakers and I would not break the bank either.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I spent $2000 upgrading my stereo not including a head unit...and a pair of the Kicker coaxs in the sound bar will satisfy 95% of us at that price point and below. As mentioned for proper soundstage you'll have the levels down for the rear. And you really don't want bright tweeters in the rear pulling the soundstage back and up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts