Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I updated my radio and speakers in my 88 wrangler and now when I turn my iPod all the way up the sound cuts out. It will play normally for 2 seconds then no sound for 3 seconds. I have checked all the connections and wires. I can't figure it out. Can
Anybod

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Depending on the type radio you put in, some units have an overload circuit to protect speakers. It sounds you are tapping more power than your radio thinks the speakers can take.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Depending on the type radio you put in, some units have an overload circuit to protect speakers. It sounds you are tapping more power than your radio thinks the speakers can take.
Sounds about right, that or your input is over driving the stereo.

Try turning down the volume on the ipod, see if that helps.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Did you replace your dash speakers? Make sure your terminals aren't touching any metal surfaces and there is no bare wires and ALL of your wires behind the radio are taped , assuming all the speakers are hooked up correctly . Your Ipod doesn't put out enough voltage to clip the radio . your problem lies between the radio/speakers . It is also possible it could be a bad speaker , even if it is new .

you can figure this out by process of elimination ...
1 take the radio out disconnect all speakers and leave the power hooked up red/yellow/black
2 one at a time hook up one speaker start with left front white / white-black turn sound up . all good ? tape it back up leave it connected . Turn volume down
3 move on to right front grey/grey-black do the same thing . still work ? keep going till your problem comes back

Note if you start with the first speaker (left front) and sound clips , disconnect and move to the right front and start there . You can do one at a time also , just make sure no wires coming from the radio touch ground(anything metal )

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Did you replace your dash speakers? Make sure your terminals aren't touching any metal surfaces and there is no bare wires and ALL of your wires behind the radio are taped , assuming all the speakers are hooked up correctly . Your Ipod doesn't put out enough voltage to clip the radio . your problem lies between the radio/speakers . It is also possible it could be a bad speaker , even if it is new .

you can figure this out by process of elimination ...
1 take the radio out disconnect all speakers and leave the power hooked up red/yellow/black
2 one at a time hook up one speaker start with left front white / white-black turn sound up . all good ? tape it back up leave it connected . Turn volume down
3 move on to right front grey/grey-black do the same thing . still work ? keep going till your problem comes back

Note if you start with the first speaker (left front) and sound clips , disconnect and move to the right front and start there . You can do one at a time also , just make sure no wires coming from the radio touch ground(anything metal )
Hard to say, depends on the stereo; Im still betting the input is being over driven. Been working in the business for many years and I see that a lot.

If he turns down the volume and the problem goes away then he will know. Quick and easier to check than going back over the install. And obviously if it does continue then he knows something else is wrong. At that point I would suspect a problem with the stereo, or the way it was installed. I had a problem where I installed a new radio in an old car that used the chassis for the return, blew the final, but the stereo still worked... sort of.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts