Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 00' Tj 2.5l, 33" bfg AT and a Banks Power monster exhaust with a soft top, half doors and no carpet.

On the highway I honestly can't tell if it's the engine working hard to keep up with traffic or if it's the Monster exhaust system but it's starting to really get to me. I love my jeep, and the jeep lifestyle but I would really like to dampen the outside road noise. Trust me I've tried, you can only turn up the radio so loud :atomic:

What are some way's of actually making my jeep quiet enough to be able to speak normally with someone on the highway! I've heard of the silkcloth soft top but that'll have to come later. I've also heard of the Delux carpet set that has Jute in them. I'm curious how well that carpet works because i'm deciding on buying it soon. Also Should I spray linner down before I install the carpet?
Also how well does the Hood insulator work, is it worth the money?

Finally, is there anything I can do to my soft top? I know there are some insulators you can install on the hard top but sadly I only have a soft top. And i am not buying full doors, or a hardtop anytime soon.

Thanks!

·
Registered
361 Posts
There is a product called lizardskin, it has a sound insulation and a ceramic coating. Haven't heard of any reviews about it except what's on their web page.
http://m.lizardskin.com/

·
Registered
75 Posts
I honestly have thought about trying to glue or stitch some fleece into my soft top to act as a dampener, but I'm waiting until better weather.

·
Registered
35 Posts
First thing I did when I bought my TJ was apply lizard skin. Typically they want it sprayed on as the final texture creates the broken up surface area. I rolled mine on pretty heavy, waited until it was tacky and used a textured rolled to give it the same effect. Working on just over a year and it still looks and sounds great.

One thing to keep in mind, you are driving a Wrangler. They are in no way built for quiet use, even out of the factory they have more wind and road noise than most other vehicles. Soft tops of course add to it, add on tires and a an exhaust. You'll inevitably begin to hear more and more out side.

·
Commercial Member
7,119 Posts
Aftermarket exhaust and no carpet are likely the biggest noise issues.

When I got mine, I removed the flowmaster super 44 that the op put on, replaced with a welded thrush, much better. Then added raammat to the floor with a layer of ensolite , then factory carpet back in.
Still get noise from soft door uppers but much better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts