Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tips on this? I’m about to spend part of the weekend removing all my seats and carpet and sound deadening it. Eventually an amp and upgraded speakers will be installed professionally.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'd say just make sure to have even coverage everywhere, curves, corners etc. If you have a small roller that can def help not only speed the process up but will also make sure the material hits/sticks better to the metal/plastic or wherever you decide to deaden. If you run a hardtop at all, think about deadening both the back of the hardtop and freedom top panels and then covering the material with some kind of headliner kit, Mopar/Hotheads etc.

I just went through and deadened under the carpet front to back and the hardtop and covered with the Mopar headliner kit and it's a great change in road noise, interior resonation and the stereo def liked it!

·
Registered
287 Posts
I just did this a few months ago. Used boom mat material on my two door. I removed the back seat and all of the carpet. Did not remove the front seats. The results were amazing. The toughest part was getting the carpet back in! The poster who advised to get a roller was spot on. For the adhesive material to work you need to clean all surfaces and use a roller to make good contact. I would wear gloves when cutting the material. I didn't and had little cuts all over my hand afterwards. While I immediately noticed the difference when I applied the material to the tub, I didn't notice much difference with the hard top. I cut strips to apply to the top then used mopar headliners. Not much difference but the top does look better.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Do you need to completely cover the floor or can you space the sound deadener apart and still achieve a quieter ride?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I did this recently and here is a post from around Thanksgiving.

The best $375 spent on my Jeep in quite a while
Bought from Amazon Mopar Headliners $235

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Stinger RKXDK Roadkill Expert Series Sound Damping Material Door Kit $42

Stinger RKX36B Roadkill Expert Series Sound Damping Material Bulk Pack $95

With this I was able to sound dampen under the headliners, the complete floor, rear wheel arches and all 4 doors. I did the installation myself in 3 about 3 hour stages. The foor and headliner was a piece of cake. The doors were more of a challenge, but youtube had a video which made much easier than if I had ti figure everything out myself.

From the forum I had upgraded the speakers in the sound bar, tweeter fix and a new subwoofer. This was done a few years ago and made quite an improvement over the stock kit.

Now it is night and day different, sounds way better!! And the Jeep is just quiet now. We must remember it's a Jeep and that will never change no matter what we do, but such an improvement I wish I had done it years ago.

I'm in CA so weather extremes are not a problem but now in the morning it warms up and stays comfortable.

I have all my mods listed in my garage under my sig. if anyone is interested in the audio upgrades, I think all done they were around $150. The system now sounds like a high-end unit and the drivers' environment is much nicer.

Just my .02 cents if it helps anyone.

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
Do you need to completely cover the floor or can you space the sound deadener apart and still achieve a quieter ride?
You probably can and I did, but on my 2 door I did the entire floor and it was noticeably quieter than my 4 door Recon that I spaced them out on. The only real difference is I covered the entire floor on my 2 door and I ran KO2's as opposed to the Ridge Grapplers that I'm running now. I do feel the RG's are louder than the KO2's so that might be the issue. I will be probably switching back to the KO2's s I may be able to compare better.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I didn't do every square inch of the tub but still had good results. The material is fairly heavy so I didn't do the doors. They are heavy enough when I remove the doors in the summer. I didn't want to add another ounce! I got great results!

·
Registered
108 Posts
You didn't mention specifically what type of product you are thinking of using. If you are thinking about Lizard Skin, I would highly recommend it. I chose it over the dynamat types just because I wanted something that looks better after application. I have used it extensively on my total rebuild. Everything from doing the inside and outside of a bare tub off the frame to the inside of the top and panels, doors, fender wells, etc. It's very easy to use. Easy to apply and water cleanup. Tape things off well and easy application with the gun and air supply. The ceramic coating and sound barrier don't have after smell at all. However, the aerosol top coat does. Its not terrible but very noticeable. Be prepared to live with that while it off gasses.

If you decide to do the top and panels, make sure you do not use the sound barrier and ceramic coating on the overlapping parts of the top and panels or under the rotating latches. I did on the first one and its a tight fit so the panels were a little too snug. I sanded it off and just used the top coat on those areas and its much better.

https://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/2014-jku-sahara-now-this-is-a-build-2307706.html

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,021 Posts
I had my hard top and panels Rhino lined and it makes a huge difference with the noise form my roof rack. I will be going to bed tread sometime in the not so distant future which may help even more.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine won’t be as pro as yours. Just using Noico 80 (similar to dynamat for a lot less) I already have Mopar headliner front to back and sides of the side back windows.

You didn't mention specifically what type of product you are thinking of using. If you are thinking about Lizard Skin, I would highly recommend it. I chose it over the dynamat types just because I wanted something that looks better after application. I have used it extensively on my total rebuild. Everything from doing the inside and outside of a bare tub off the frame to the inside of the top and panels, doors, fender wells, etc. It's very easy to use. Easy to apply and water cleanup. Tape things off well and easy application with the gun and air supply. The ceramic coating and sound barrier don't have after smell at all. However, the aerosol top coat does. Its not terrible but very noticeable. Be prepared to live with that while it off gasses.

If you decide to do the top and panels, make sure you do not use the sound barrier and ceramic coating on the overlapping parts of the top and panels or under the rotating latches. I did on the first one and its a tight fit so the panels were a little too snug. I sanded it off and just used the top coat on those areas and its much better.

https://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/2014-jku-sahara-now-this-is-a-build-2307706.html

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
You probably can and I did, but on my 2 door I did the entire floor and it was noticeably quieter than my 4 door Recon that I spaced them out on. The only real difference is I covered the entire floor on my 2 door and I ran KO2's as opposed to the Ridge Grapplers that I'm running now. I do feel the RG's are louder than the KO2's so that might be the issue. I will be probably switching back to the KO2's s I may be able to compare better.

Yup it was the tires.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Start My Sound Deading

I just finished the Freedom Panels using the Noico 80, I did a somewhat sloppy job as this was my first time working with stuff. I did round off the last corner after I took this photo. I haven't started the Hardtop yet as I'm still debating weather to cover the area's completely or just put Noico strips in the channels. I'll be using Noico under the carpet, but not completely covering the floor. Last step will be to get Mopar or HH head liners. I'm not trying to make it into a Cadillac, just make it more bearable for those longer highway trips and hopefully improve the stereo.

Attachments

Reactions: C4lderone

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just finished the Freedom Panels using the Noico 80, I did a somewhat sloppy job as this was my first time working with stuff. I did round off the last corner after I took this photo. I haven't started the Hardtop yet as I'm still debating weather to cover the area's completely or just put Noico strips in the channels. I'll be using Noico under the carpet, but not completely covering the floor. Last step will be to get Mopar or HH head liners. I'm not trying to make it into a Cadillac, just make it more bearable for those longer highway trips and hopefully improve the stereo.
How many sq. ft. Of Noico did you use? 2 door Or 4?

·
Registered
170 Posts
How many sq. ft. Of Noico did you use? 2 door Or 4?
I purchased the package that comes in a package of 10 sqft for $20. It's a package of 10 precut 1 sqft panels. I used just about 5 panels to do the freedom panels.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I didn't do every square inch of the tub but still had good results. The material is fairly heavy so I didn't do the doors. They are heavy enough when I remove the doors in the summer. I didn't want to add another ounce! I got great results!
I doubt you would notice the extra weight.

Boom mat weights 0.3768lb/ft^2
80mil Noico weights 0.77lb/ft^2
Fatmat weights 0.45lb/ft^2

I added just over 3 square feet of 80mil Noico to each of my doors, approximately 2.3lbs (about 2 20oz bottles of water)

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Don't forget behind the door panels as well.
I did a layer of Ensolite on top of the Raammat and it helps with noise.
Buy a roller....
This. The doors on a JK are super thin, so don't cut corners and do these.

I doubt you would notice the extra weight.

Boom mat weights 0.3768lb/ft^2
80mil Noico weights 0.77lb/ft^2
Fatmat weights 0.45lb/ft^2

I added just over 3 square feet of 80mil Noico to each of my doors, approximately 2.3lbs (about 2 20oz bottles of water)
don't forget the original... Dynamat. It's also 0.45lb/ft^2

·
Registered
7 Posts
Any updates from folks that used Noico on their hardtop? Definitely interested in doing this and then using the MOPAR headliners on top.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts