Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I have a 09 two door jk and I am looking at upgrading my sound system. I want more volume and bass without having to buy actual huge dedicated subs because I don't want to lose what small trunk space I have. If anyone has any suggestions as too how to upgrade the speakers in the overhead bar or in the front of the jeep or anywhere they would be welcome! I am not trying to spend too much money just wanted to see if there was any speakers or upgrades out there that would put a little more "boom" in the jeep and not require too much work.
Thanks!

·
Registered
244 Posts
I put this in my TJ and I was very happy with it - it doesn't boom like a bazookatube, but it has a nice kick for what it costs.

Amazon.com : Pyle Lanzar AQTB8 8-Inch 1000 Watts Low-Profile Super Slim Active Amplified Marine/Waterproof Subwoofer System - Set of 1 : Vehicle Subwoofers : Car Electronics

The plus to this is that it is a sub & amp together ( powered sub ) so you don't have to shell out extra for a pricey amp. Again, this is not top of the line premium sound quality, but it was a nice upgrade. I'm not sure if the stock JK stereo can power a sub & amp, though. I don't think it can, but have never looked into it.

Another reason I went with this is because it is Marine grade, so it is water resistant, just in case I forgot the top one day :)

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Honestly without a subwoofer and amplifier the stereo system will always sound hollow, especially with our sound bars. I would prefer a dedicated (non shallow mount) subwoofer but what MrTurtle suggested will probably give you the bass/depth you are looking for. I have kicker speakers all around and still lacked the sound I wanted until I added a subwoofer.

·
Registered
244 Posts
^x2. Slowstang is exactly right. And once you hear your sound system with a subwoofer, you'll never want to go back without one, even if it is a small one

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, I just grabbed a 2014 sport unlimited and was wondering if I'm going to install two 10" subs and an amp, am I going to have to replace the stock stereo speakers as well? Will it sound good with the amp an subs added or will I need all new speakers also?

·
Registered
7 Posts
With 2 10" boomers I'd bet you'd need better speakers, but it's a question of power - the stock head unit may not have enough power to drive the speakers in a good balance with the bass.

·
Registered
244 Posts
And then you come into my issue - I don't want a brightly lit, cheap looking head unit for my jeep, but I do want one that can push enough amps to power my sub & amp. Not a big fan of touchscreens, either - don't need to give anyone more incentive to cut open my jeep and steal what's within!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I installed kicker speakers in the front and rear, got ahold of the stock sub enclosure installed a JL audio 8w3v3, and a rockford fosgate Prime R600x5 amp. I left the stock head unit. It sounds great. The amp puts out 50wats per channel,to the front and rear and 200 watts rms to the sub. It has a bolt in crossover so that wasn't an issue. You can hook up the stock head unit to the amp using the speaker wires or RCA inputs. I went with speaker wires. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
cgdc - did you use a "line output converter"? I have a PAC SNI-35 that I think is the right thing, but I'm not sure if I need 2 of them to keep stereo. Did you tie all for speaker output wires to the amp?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I installed kicker speakers in the front and rear, got ahold of the stock sub enclosure installed a JL audio 8w3v3, and a rockford fosgate Prime R600x5 amp. I left the stock head unit. It sounds great. The amp puts out 50wats per channel,to the front and rear and 200 watts rms to the sub. It has a bolt in crossover so that wasn't an issue. You can hook up the stock head unit to the amp using the speaker wires or RCA inputs. I went with speaker wires. Hope this helps.
So you were able to connect your amp to the stock head unit without any trouble? That is awesome news, if I'm understanding it right!:iamhappy:

·
Registered
26 Posts
cgdc - did you use a "line output converter"? I have a PAC SNI-35 that I think is the right thing, but I'm not sure if I need 2 of them to keep stereo. Did you tie all for speaker output wires to the amp?
I originally used the high level inputs which allows you to use the speaker wires to plug into the amp. It comes with 2 molex connectors that allow you to have a seperate front and back connection so you can keep the fade function. But toay I went to Best Buy and picked up a line converter. So now it is hooked up with RCA (low level). The line converter I bought has connections for 2 sets of speaker (front and rear). It cost $50.00.

So you were able to connect your amp to the stock head unit without any trouble? That is awesome news, if I'm understanding it right!
Yes I am still using the stock head unit, a 430n. I didnt loose any function at all. Just gained alot of sound.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Hi, I just grabbed a 2014 sport unlimited and was wondering if I'm going to install two 10" subs and an amp, am I going to have to replace the stock stereo speakers as well? Will it sound good with the amp an subs added or will I need all new speakers also?
You don't have to, but you will want to have all new speakers. A proper amp to drive most 2-10" subwoofers will be 400-500 watts. With that much subwoofer power, you will want speakers up to the task. So, you will want about 100 wattsRMS per speaker. A good amp to handle all of that is the 5-Channel Alpine PDX-V9. It's not that difficult to find 100watts speakers since 2014 Wranglers use 6.5" speakers. Kicker makes a nice set of upgraded speakers that can handle 100watts too. So, does Alpine (Type R), CDT, and some Polks. Remember, its RMS not peak power that you want.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Honestly without a subwoofer and amplifier the stereo system will always sound hollow, especially with our sound bars. I would prefer a dedicated (non shallow mount) subwoofer but what MrTurtle suggested will probably give you the bass/depth you are looking for. I have kicker speakers all around and still lacked the sound I wanted until I added a subwoofer.
Look at the RMS on the amp. It's only 100watts. It doesn't matter that the speaker is 300wattsRMS.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Suggestion

Here is my setup.
2013 Jeep JKU.
*ALPINE CDE-147BT - CD Receiver
*ALPINE MRX-V70 - Amplifier
*ALPINE SPS-610 6.5" 2-way Speakers -Soundbar
*ALPINE SPR-60C 6.5" Component Speakers -Front
*ALPINE SWA-12S4 12" Subwoofer

FATMAT Sound padded the Front Boxes and SoundBar, along with packing each with Polyester filling. Installed at home. Absolutely amazing sound. Looked into the App from Alpine where you can link into thousands of different tunes with this specific model Receiver. I like all kinds of music. LOUD & CLEAR.. This setup is really killer.

Good Luck. Todd

·
Registered
9 Posts
Look at the RMS on the amp. It's only 100watts. It doesn't matter that the speaker is 300wattsRMS.
thanks! I think I'm going to go all out and get all new speakers as well. The stock ones just aren't loud enough, I couldn't imagine having my subs knock and not being able to hear the mids and treble good through the stock speakers

·
Registered
19 Posts
Afternoon,

New to the WF, take it easy on me.

Have a 2012 Sport 2dr. bought this past weekend,

I would like to replace the current speakers, especially the sound bar. I think there is a cracked cone. Any suggested new speakers? I am not sure on the size either. Not looking to do a sub or amp, just not a rattler.

Thanks

Oh, any tips on replacing?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Afternoon,

New to the WF, take it easy on me.

Have a 2012 Sport 2dr. bought this past weekend,

I would like to replace the current speakers, especially the sound bar. I think there is a cracked cone. Any suggested new speakers? I am not sure on the size either. Not looking to do a sub or amp, just not a rattler.

Thanks

Oh, any tips on replacing?
The size is 6 1/2". Kicker makes nice ones and well as Polk. There are a few others out there. If you go to Crutchfield and look up vehicle specific for you Jeep they will list everything that fits. If you order from them they also include the wiring adapter and mounting adapter ring for free.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Here is my setup.
2013 Jeep JKU.
*ALPINE CDE-147BT - CD Receiver
*ALPINE MRX-V70 - Amplifier
*ALPINE SPS-610 6.5" 2-way Speakers -Soundbar
*ALPINE SPR-60C 6.5" Component Speakers -Front
*ALPINE SWA-12S4 12" Subwoofer

FATMAT Sound padded the Front Boxes and SoundBar, along with packing each with Polyester filling. Installed at home. Absolutely amazing sound. Looked into the App from Alpine where you can link into thousands of different tunes with this specific model Receiver. I like all kinds of music. LOUD & CLEAR.. This setup is really killer.

Good Luck. Todd
Crutchfield says the Sps-610's won't fit in the sound bar. Did you have to modify the soundbar to make them fit? Did they fit in the stock grills? I am buying 4 lightly used SPS-610's for $45 and was wondering if you think they would fit in the front where you mounted your component 6.5" Alpines from the SPR-60C. Both the 610 and 60C look to be the same size. Thanks for the help as I like what you did and love Alpine equipment and want to copy most of what you have done.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts