Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your opinions on sound bars? Any particular makes or brands preferred? Or should I go with something else? I ride in lots of water, so I need something waterproof in the way of a stereo and speakers. My 93 yj currently doesn't have any sound in it at all.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have some off brand sound bar that I put Alpine 5.25" coaxial speakers in. I'm happy with the sound now.

I've always been a fan of Alpine, Rockford Fosgate and Polk Audio. I would definitely go Marine if your Jeep gets wet a lot. I didn't, but I really don't do much water crossing (yet).

Rockford doesn't really have any marine ones small enough for a Jeep, although they do have some that are meant to mount to a wake tower. Says it will clamp on a 1-1/2" to 2-3/4" bar size. I believe the roll bar is 2.25". They are pricey though.
MARINE Enclosed Speakers - M282-WAKE - Rockford Fosgate®

Alpine doesn't make a marine 4x6 which is what is behind the dash (if you are gonna do those).

Polk has the most options for Jeeps.

Rockford Fosgate® - Products
Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.
Polk Audio for marine applications | Polk Audio®

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I put Polk marine grade in my dash and sound bar. I cut out the opening in my stock sound bar to put larger Polk's up top. Your limiting factor is the depth of the speaker.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I haven't upgraded mine in the sound bar but will go with polk audio when I do. I have polk audio in my boat and haven't had any trouble and love them. They are marine grade.

Def spend the extra money on good speakers that's marine grade.

·
Registered
33 Posts
another option that I did in mine was hit bestbuys for 6x9's and 2 6x9 boxes set em on rear fender well and bracket them on for antitheft, and for a extra 10 bucks buy the warranty(2 years) if for any reason they stop working or get ruined from water they will replace with NO questions, the alpine's rock plenty loud and sound very nice even in the open .

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Marine grade speakers mean they can be around water and get splashed on the occasion. Does not mean you can soak them in water, they will fry if you get them wet enough.

If you soak your interior often, then no sound system is going to hold up and you will be replacing components left and right after each water excursion.

·
Registered
539 Posts
another option that I did in mine was hit bestbuys for 6x9's and 2 6x9 boxes set em on rear fender well and bracket them on for antitheft, and for a extra 10 bucks buy the warranty(2 years) if for any reason they stop working or get ruined from water they will replace with NO questions, the alpine's rock plenty loud and sound very nice even in the open .
be careful of what shape your bestbuy is in. If you dont know their staff or dont have the warm fuzzies then avoid at all costs. From experience they got sick of me bringing my sound system back to them and the manager of the store attempted to void my warranty and I had to threaten court before their insurance company settled with me. It was a big mess....

·
Registered
208 Posts
I went with some 6 1/2 marine speakers inside a 6 inch pvc tee and use couplings and mounted them the the wheel wells. Havent had a chance to get them wet cause i snapped my transfercase in half but did some research on them. Alot of people use this setup on quads an boats.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So my sound bar is sagging it works fine and I don't know if its because of the roll bar cushions that are on it I'm looking for something a little more roomie I'm 6 foot 3 and the sound bar touches my head damn near I looked into sound pods but will I lose any quality overall with sound pods

·
Registered
306 Posts
So my sound bar is sagging it works fine and I don't know if its because of the roll bar cushions that are on it I'm looking for something a little more roomie I'm 6 foot 3 and the sound bar touches my head damn near I looked into sound pods but will I lose any quality overall with sound pods
Are you looking at the pods that bolt onto the wheel wells or the one that attach to the roll cage?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Does your soundboard have the 2 brackets in the center ?

The difference between marine grade speakers and regular ones mainly are the Tinsel leads and terminals . They are stainless steel instead of copper . Tbo if your pods are sealed good in the back it doesn't matter which style you put in . I have the sound wedge 6x9 speakers in the rear and personally they sound better than my old boxes mounted to the wheel well . You get a lot of bass to midbass cancellation when they face each other , so I trashed them . I leave my top off all summer and they have gotten rained on many of times and still pump away . I use MB quart 6x9 that are about 8-10 years old and they sound as good as the day I bought them . (2nd Jeep)

I didn't like the soundbar anymore because of the speaker being right above my head and being the most dominate . So , I tossed that too and build fiberglass dash pods (i'll post pics if you are interested ) that hold a 4" MB quart component set . That put the sound in front of me and set up a great soundstage . And yes I used an amp

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have the roll cage sound pods with infinity 6x9 marine speakers and 4x6 kickers under the dash with a kenwood marine headunit. I used the stock wiring harness for the speakers behind the dash and used the built in amp in the headunit and whew does it all sound good and it gets loud! If you want links to the parts I bought, I can send it all over.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have the roll cage sound pods with infinity 6x9 marine speakers and 4x6 kickers under the dash with a kenwood marine headunit. I used the stock wiring harness for the speakers behind the dash and used the built in amp in the headunit and whew does it all sound good and it gets loud! If you want links to the parts I bought, I can send it all over.
How do the kickers hold up to bass? I put Boston Acoustics 4x6s in my dash and they can't handle bass once my volume is up passed 10.

·
Registered
539 Posts
They handle it just fine without any feedback or distortion. However the 6x9s in the sound pods definitely take over when the volume gets cranked.

·
Registered
192 Posts
You will get zero bass response from any speaker you put in the dash of a YJ . Best thing to do is cross them over so they won't distort at high volume and blow prematurely . 4x6 speakers are too small to reproduce bass at a audible level . In order to get an accurate bass response you need a sub . Jeeps are very unforgiving in this department as to our open air cockpit and no bass resonance .

·
Registered
90 Posts
I run 4" Rockford Fosgates in the soundbar and Polks in the dash.
400W Fosgate Punch Amp pushes 6x9's in speaker pods and 10" bazooka tube sub.
Sounds fantastic.
In terms of speaker protection, all of the connection have been shrink tube sealed and I used landscape fabric covering every speaker with it before butting on the screen or bolting back down to the dash. This keeps the mud away from the speaker at least a little.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm currently replacing my fried stereo with marine components. I would like to keep using the sound bar, what size replacement speakers will fit ?

95yj

1 - 20 of 38 Posts