Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you live in South Carolina and have thought about doing the Trans American Trail, and just didn't know for sure you would enjoy it; there is a closer adventure you can chose now.
Located on Face Book and using the title, you join for the free files.

The SCAR (South Carolina Adventure Route) loops through almost 1,000 miles of rural South Carolina. Follow it and you will see mountains, ocean, forests, countryside, parks, historical sites, and quaint towns--all on a mix of paved and un-paved public roads. The SCAR is currently being test-ridden, and Garmin GPX tracks will be released in the Spring of 2020 (released now, early). Accessibility to gas, lodging, and camping were considered in its creation. The SCAR is provided for reference only--it includes no warranties and its creator assumes no liability. Ultimately, you are responsible for your own riding decisions, route selections, and safety.

Looks exciting to me and I have traveled many of the roads in SC this route takes.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I'll have to check it out this summer. Do you know how much is dirt and where? Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Well hello from Summerville SC!. Haha Thanks for the info ill definitely be checking it out!

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll have to check it out this summer. Do you know how much is dirt and where? Thanks for posting.
It is stated about 40% is off road. Mostly Nat'l Forest Service roads I think.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is stated about 40% is off road. Mostly Nat'l Forest Service roads I think.

·
Registered
230 Posts
looks like something to definitely look into. thanks for posting!

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I am adding to my bucket list! Would be an awesome trip to run!!
Especially the Southeast loop to start. It runs through the areas my family settled in the 1690's (your neck of the woods).

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

We have completed about 180 miles of the route so far, mostly thru the Francis Marion Forest. Even with all the rain we have been experiencing, the roads are in pretty good shape. We ate lunch in Jamestown and headed northerly towards Sumter where we finished for the day.
Had a great supper in a restaurant named Willie Sues.

We did come across on road that was gated and that situation is now resolved with a permanent re-route of the trail.

Chomping at the bit to get back on the trail......

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Completed. Nice adventure around the State of SC. Thought the last trek was going to take three days but we completed it in two from Mountain Rest to Great Falls and eventually home.

Now, another Jeep bath!.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The link didn't work. Looks like they have changed to drop box for file sharing. Here's the link.

SCAR DropBox
Yes you are correct the website got hacked I think so Mr Cox moved the whole kit and caboodle over.

Reactions: 386GreyWanderer
1 - 15 of 15 Posts