Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a 2008 JKU last month. It has 135,000 miles on it. It had a 2" spacer lift when I bought it but I was not sure what brand. I took it out on the trails last week and apparently blew out the front shocks.

I took it to the shop and told me it had some sort of spacer lift on it. The shocks were still the stock ones that had been fitted with some sort of adapters.

I asked the shop if they could put on a different lift and they said they would. I dropped my jeep off on Friday and they said it would take about a day. They called me on Friday to say it would not be done till Monday. This morning I get a call that they were not able to get the kit done today because the bolts on the previous spacer lift were so badly rusted. They said they put a substance on the rusted bolts that would work on the rust and to bring it back this week to give it another try. Is this a common issue?

·
Super Moderator
14,524 Posts
So I bought a 2008 JKU last month. It has 135,000 miles on it. It had a 2" spacer lift when I bought it but I was not sure what brand. I took it out on the trails last week and apparently blew out the front shocks.

I took it to the shop and told me it had some sort of spacer lift on it. The shocks were still the stock ones that had been fitted with some sort of adapters.

I asked the shop if they could put on a different lift and they said they would. I dropped my jeep off on Friday and they said it would take about a day. They called me on Friday to say it would not be done till Monday. This morning I get a call that they were not able to get the kit done today because the bolts on the previous spacer lift were so badly rusted. They said they put a substance on the rusted bolts that would work on the rust and to bring it back this week to give it another try. Is this a common issue?
Rusty bolts are a common issue on Jeeps... They are probably using a penetrant like Kroil to help break them loose. You could buy a can of PB Blaster and shoot them every day, it will help. Then I use a torch to apply a little heat to the nut before breaking them loose.

Next question though is what lift are they going to put on? You could do this and be no better off than you were before. Get details and let us help you...

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Going from a TF spacer lift to a TF coil lift requires they only swap the lift springs in for the factory springs and spacers and install the new shocks. All the rest of the TF kit is the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, the original spacer lift is not teraflex. Unsure what it is really. I just know we wanted to get rid of it and start again with the new teraflex one. My question was more geared towards if this rust issue can be solved so that the old equipment can be removed and if this is a legit thing or if the shop is just not wanting to deal with it.

·
Super Moderator
4,564 Posts
Rust is an issue on Jeeps, especially 10 year + old Jeeps with well over 100,000 miles.
The more it is off roaded, that also contributes to it.
I can't vouch for your shop, I would hope you picked a shop you trust. I don't like to trust shops, but I do know of a couple I trust. Yet I still prefer to do it myself. Installing a lift is not that hard and many owners do it themselves.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts